You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Films panned by critics that you like

Remmie

I watched a Russian film on the flight back from Vietnam called Zhara (The Heat). I liked it, thought it was a bit different and interesting. Seems it's been voted Russia's worst film of 2006 and got 4.8/10 on IMDB though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prometheus. Although to be fair it wasn't the actual critics that "panned" it (Mark Kermode for instance loved it), but mainly the "Alien" fanboys who wanted it to be a direct prequel.

Nah, people wanted a coherent story with the tension and feel of the first film not a direct prequel.

What they got was a incoherent, tension void, cluster fuck with inexplicable plot devices that went nowhere and sat proudly next to alien 4 and avp

Quick, run so we dont get squashed by the giant doughnut rolling towards us, Noooooooooo.....(deep breath).........ooooooooooo.

And unfortunately a film needs to work in its own right whether its part of a potential trilogy or not so 2 hours of exposition doesnt really cut ot no matter how pretty it looks.

Edited by Cardie

The Exorcist III received it's fair share of shite reviews, yet I thought it was a very good film, genuinely creepy and a worthy successor to Friedkin's original (I just pretend part two doesn't exist).

I actually like Showgirls, probably not in the way that Verhoeven and Eszterhas intended me to enjoy it though. I look at it as a deliberately over the top melodrama and I think the comedy is intentional.

David Lynch's Dune is a great film, much better than the terrible reviews it received.

Too many people measure it against Kubrick's 2001' date=' but it never attempted to be the same kind of film. It was a great adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's novel, which itself was a work of genius equal to the original.[/quote']

Great shout great film great book.