You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

We wont be signing anyone else significant

I don't think we will either. The season starts in a week. Very few clubs let their top players go with so little time to find a replacement.

Here's hoping I'm wrong. Because our current squad doesn't have a top four finish in them imo.

Linked with Sakho again. Seems he has asked to leave PSG. He could cover CB and LB.

Haven't seen him for a couple of yrs but back then he was class. I think we need a CB and a class AM to replace Allen or Henderson in the current first 11. Get these then next year I guess get a LB and DM and a wide man if the youngsters aren't there yet. Then we'll be set for top 4 if we don't get that this year (which we won't with the current squad IMO).

We will definitely bring in a left back.

We are being linked with Matri now, who I think would be a bit of a stop-gap. He's supposed to be available for about £10 million and is 28. Not a bad option at all as he definitely has goals in him.

Matri at £10m is very steep because I don't think he's ever really been a player in that bracket. He's basically a bang average Radamel Falcao. Also, Italian footballers and Liverpool just do not seem to mix, whether it be injury prone-ness, lack of heart or lack of quality.

United haven't signed anyone yet, Chelsea are unlikely to have done all the business they want to do, the list goes on. Every club is playing poker. I suspect it will be like domino rally and as soon as one goes for big money the rest will go too.

People should chill the fuck out. All this can't be good for your blood pressure!

Matri at £10m is very steep because I don't think he's ever really been a player in that bracket. He's basically a bang average Radamel Falcao. Also, Italian footballers and Liverpool just do not seem to mix, whether it be injury prone-ness, lack of heart or lack of quality.

I'm not convinced that it will happen because of the age and price tag. He can definitely score goals but he doesn't seem to fit the profile of player we are going for.

I'm not buying we can't attract anyone to improve the first team. Downing starts regularly and there's championship players better than him!

I don't believe we've been trying to spend big this window. The Armenian was apparently chased for weeks, yet we never even bidded. If you fuck around for weeks on end, it's no surprise when a club in a better position wrap up a deal.

I thought the owners and Brendan would have learned from last years cock up. Bringing the players that's needed in in January again won't be acceptable. Not when it's going to be too late to save yet another season.

There's still a little bit of time but there's not really been any solid links to decent players that will improve the first team. I've lost all faith in anyone else coming in now apart from maybe a cheap lb on loan tbh.

This squad won't finish higher than 6th. A pity cause there was real chance to push on after doing some excellent work early to improve the squad, without really spending any money. I hope 6th won't be spun as improvement either. That's where we should have been last season.

Spurs first team are now miles ahead of us. Despite us spending a fortune more than them. To be expected when they're a better run club from top to bottom really.

Some don't seem to rate Eriksen on here, I think he'd be a good signing myself, not so sure on the CB, but I'd certainly have Eriksen he is young and affordable and is in the last year of his contract ain't he? I'd of thought him and Coutinho would link well... maybe we'll see downing shifted out and him in.. can live in hope anyway!

Erikson will become more highly rated once someone else signs him.

I'd love us to buy Gaitan. He would probably set us back 30m euros and be hard to convince but Benfica aren't exactly stalwarts of Europe.

..............Sturridge

Gaitan....Coutinho....Suarez

.........Lucas..Gerrard

With the front four interchanging positions, we'd wreak havoc. I still wouldn't be convinced about our deeper midfield pair but I think the above would really push us on.

Anyway, that's my fantasy football for the day.

United haven't signed anyone yet, Chelsea are unlikely to have done all the business they want to do, the list goes on. Every club is playing poker. I suspect it will be like domino rally and as soon as one goes for big money the rest will go too.

People should chill the fuck out. All this can't be good for your blood pressure!

Agree with this, however we're not even at the same table as the Mancs and Chelsea so don't think our transfer activity is particularly linked to theirs.

.........Lucas..Gerrard

I think if we pair Gerrard and Lucas together with a midfielder who leans more towards attacking than defending (i.e. Coutinho etc) we'll get overrun every time. I don't think Lucas and Gerrard have the legs/mobility to support that type of player and imho we only started to improve when Henderson played in front of them and did a lot of their running for them.

I think if we pair Gerrard and Lucas together with a midfielder who leans more towards attacking than defending (i.e. Coutinho etc) we'll get overrun every time. I don't think Lucas and Gerrard have the legs/mobility to support that type of player and imho we only started to improve when Henderson played in front of them and did a lot of their running for them.

I agree with this but it is the reason why I feel we should have replaced (or added competition for) Lucas. I don't personally don't think it makes sense to compensate for his limitations with other players, as Coutinho does enough pressing and chasing back to play in that position (but, unlike Henderson, is more attack minded).

I think the Lucas of two years ago would have been fine there, so I am hoping he gets back to that level.

Incidentally, the mancs have never had an overly mobile or destructive midfield but have always faired well. I think by being so threatening up front, the opposition naturally sink back and the midfield battle isn't so hard to win.

Lucas isn't strong/dynamic enough to play the role he's being asked to. We were crying out for more strength through the spine of the side all last season, and I can't believe that hasn't been addressed. I just hope a lot of people's panicking about any major signings being dependant on Suarez's future is unfounded. It'd be disappointing to say the least if it were true.

Lucas isn't strong/dynamic enough to play the role he's being asked to. We were crying out for more strength through the spine of the side all last season' date=' and I can't believe that hasn't been addressed. I just hope a lot of people's panicking about any major signings being dependant on Suarez's future is unfounded. It'd be disappointing to say the least if it were true.[/quote']

I never subscribed to that theory but part of me is starting to think that if we bought Mikhitaryan or Costa, Suarez would be an Arsenal player for 50m.

I never subscribed to that theory but part of me is starting to think that if we bought Mikhitaryan or Costa, Suarez would be an Arsenal player for 50m.

It's starting to look that way. Last summer was very similar. Right up until the last day of the window Rogers was telling everyone we were looking to bring a couple of strikers in. I know there's 3 weeks to go but I am starting to feel like it is all related to who leaves.