You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hammer Horror Films

Sugar Ape

Used to adore watching these when I was aged 9-14, I was allowed to stay up late on a Friday or Saturday night if they were on. Also love the Hammer House Of Horror TV series as well.

It could be awkward watching them with your parents though due to the amount of tits that would be on show.

* Obligatory pics below *

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Ingrid-Pitt-Nude-scene.jpg

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Ingrid-Pitt-Vampire-Lovers.jpg

Of course they've started making films again and Let the right one in, Wake Wood and The Woman In Black were all pretty decent to varying degrees. Of the old films though, The Devil Rides Out is possibly my favourite and I went the Philharmonic on Halloween a couple of years ago when they were showing the 1958 Dracula and that was pretty ace.

In fact not just Hammer films, but all films of that era with a similar vibe such as Village of the damned and The Wicker Man are something I've been interested in for a long time. If you are a fan of the Hammer films I highly recommend this book The Hammer Story: The Authorised History of Hammer Films: Amazon.co.uk: Marcus Hearn, Alan Barnes: Books

And finally, seeing as I've mentioned The Wicker Man I give you Britt Ekland:

britt-ekland_16.jpg

dann-britt_ekland-the_wicker_man-part3.jpg

In fact, for no reason at all, Jenny Agutter:

jenny_agutter_american_werewolf_m02.jpg

Quality stuff. It's got me thinking about Saturday night telly from years gone by. Not as scary' date=' but anyone remember, Tales Of The Unexpected ?

[YOUTUBE']Oc46Gk-6qrA[/YOUTUBE]

Aye, and if you go back a few years earlier ' Thriller ' was in a similar vein, though that hasn't dated as well. If you like stuff like that then the ' Masters of horror ' series that aired a few years ago is very good. Has 13 hour long episodes in a series, with plenty of good directors directing an episode each. John Carpenter, John Landis, Joe Dante all directing one to name a few. You can get them on Amazon Masters Of Horror - Series 1 Volume 1 [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Masters of Horror: Film & TV or I'm sure they can be ' acquired ' online.

I'm a pussy.

I won't watch anything like this and won't let the wife watch any of it if I'm in.

I really don't get how you can take enjoyment out of being scared shitless?

I watched The Howling and Salems Lot when I was about 9 and didn't sleep for 2 nights. I always say to my mum it was a form of child abuse letting me watch them at that age.

I'm a pussy.

I won't watch anything like this and won't let the wife watch any of it if I'm in.

I really don't get how you can take enjoyment out of being scared shitless?

I've watched horror films since I was a kid. I remember creeping downstairs to watch a pirate video of Dawn Of The Dead, I was about ten. I used to watch horror to be scared, it was kind of like a 'how much can you put up with' thing.

That said I haven't been frightened by a film for probably twenty years, the only film to creep me out recently was Inland Empire, which isn't really a horror film. Hammer films have never scared me, but I've always loved them. I suppose in a way it's a form of escapism.

I've watched horror films since I was a kid. I remember creeping downstairs to watch a pirate video of Dawn Of The Dead, I was about ten. I used to watch horror to be scared, it was kind of like a 'how much can you put up with' thing.

That said I haven't been frightened by a film for probably twenty years, the only film to creep me out recently was Inland Empire, which isn't really a horror film. Hammer films have never scared me, but I've always loved them. I suppose in a way it's a form of escapism.

The noise from them scares the shit out of me.

I'm a proper pussy when it comes to them and I have no qualms about admitting it.

I watched The Howling and Salems Lot when I was about 9 and didn't sleep for 2 nights. I always say to my mum it was a form of child abuse letting me watch them at that age.
Self inflicted as I bet you begged your mum to let you stay late to watch them.

One thing I always remember from Salems Lot was the kid vampire scratching at the window.

Self inflicted as I bet you begged your mum to let stay up late to watch them.

One thing I always remember from Salems Lot was the kid vampire scratching at the window.

That haunted me for years. Not helped by my mum bringing it up every time she wanted me to do something.

" Go to bed or Danny Glick will scratch at your window. "

" Eat your peas or Danny Glick will come to your window tonight. "

Pure evil. My mum, that is.

My favourite and the one that stuck with me was from the Hammer House of Horror tv series.

It was called Charly Boy and was about a voodoo doll.

I had a load of them in a box set but that one I mention was not in it.

This had stuff like the house that bled to death and childs play in it.

Self inflicted as I bet you begged your mum to let you stay late to watch them.

I'm the same as LF - really don't like them and am a ponce when it comes to anything slightly scary. When I was a kid I knew Salems lot was on the telly and didn't dare watch it. I turned the telly over just at that scratchy point and fucking shit myself. Legged it down stairs and refused to go back to bed on my own. Kept me awake for months that did.

My favourite and the one that stuck with me was from the Hammer House of Horror tv series.

It was called Charly Boy and was about a voodoo doll.

I had a load of them in a box set but that one I mention was not in it.

This had stuff like the house that bled to death and childs play in it.

Childs Play was from the Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense, which I thought was better than the HHoH TV series, especially In Possession, with a couple getting caught up in grisly goings-on from the past in their house.

Don't know why that would be in the same box-set as The House That Bled To Death, though, which was from HHoH.

• 10 months later...