You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gym Beglin

Fuck me these things are expensive.

We're trying to do this relatively cheaply, going through costings lasts night and we're looking at £9-12k. On one fucking day.

I honestly don't even think we're being extravagant with anything either.

And this is based on prices not going up in the next 12 months.

We spent £14k on ours including the honeymoon, thinking we'd not been extravagant either. They companies you have to work with just know how to make it expensive.

We spent £14k on ours including the honeymoon, thinking we'd not been extravagant either. They companies you have to work with just know how to make it expensive.

70 guests (only immediate family and closest friends)

Food at £50 a head is £3,500

Drink £500

Church £600

Venue £200

Marquee £1,500

Band £850

Cutlery and crockery hire £500

And that's before suits, wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, rings and honeymoon.

My wedding last year cost £3/4k and folk still tell me it's the best one they've ever been to. It's the people that make it.

Good music helps as well.

Yeah spot on.

We had a guy with a guitar, charged us 500 dollars (about 250 quid) for the whole afternoon (about 5 hours). Did a lot of Jack Johnson and stuff like that, perfect for the weather and the mood of the day.

• Upvote 1

70 guests (only immediate family and closest friends)

Food at £50 a head is £3,500

Drink £500

Church £600

Venue £200

Marquee £1,500

Band £850

Cutlery and crockery hire £500

And that's before suits, wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, rings and honeymoon.

Unless your heart is set on the venue, look at alternatives, the guests will never expect you to have spent £50 a head and they'll gripe about the food anyway, in years to come they won't remember how good the food was, they'll remember laughs and the pleasure of the day. I can't believe you've got to hire the crockery to eat it off on top of that. They're taking the piss. 

I chose Remmies suggestion of just having an ipod playing on speakers and spent money on this lot instead of having music. 

http://www.doctorzigs.com/ 

Seriously the best entertainment I've ever used for a party and given I've 4 kids, there have been a lot of parties! 

Unless your heart is set on the venue, look at alternatives, the guests will never expect you to have spent £50 a head and they'll gripe about the food anyway, in years to come they won't remember how good the food was, they'll remember laughs and the pleasure of the day. I can't believe you've got to hire the crockery to eat it off on top of that. They're taking the piss.

I chose Remmies suggestion of just having an ipod playing on speakers and spent money on this lot instead of having music.

http://www.doctorzigs.com/

Seriously the best entertainment I've ever used for a party and given I've 4 kids, there have been a lot of parties!

The venue is her rugby club so we're getting that cheap, the catering is going to be done externaly so we're trying to get that down to £30/35 a head at the moment.

Free bar? It'll cost more than the food!

Doubt it you know, I'm sure you'll get an idea off other posters too but I went to a do recently, from 2pm to midnight, probably on average 50 people there at any one time, bar tab at the end of the night? Just under a grand.

If you're inviting people whogenerally like a drink I agree with the others the free bar, with hot or cold buffet food, will go down much better than a formal meal.

I am mad enough to have 3 weddings, 2 have already been and gone in Ukraine and were cheap as fuck (in fact I made profits on both), organised by Mrs Zeb and were awesome.

I am now charged with organising the UK wedding and I am fucked if I am spending thousands on it, I will spend £2k at the most, hopefully less.

May copy a mate with a great idea which was to hire a Mexican food van and people can have fun street food instead of a posh sit down where you get sat with someone's dull uncle. Should cost just £7 per head and everyone eats good tasty food. 

I want to get a barrel or 2 of beer and loads of vodka, however I need to find a location willing to let me give my guests drinks.

Looking at a good place tomorrow which they are quoting £325 for a barn and outdoor area from 6pm-midnight. Which seems great value.

I keep on having great ideas like making it kid friendly so may hire a bouncy castle or something, any advice on amusing the little shits?

Any tight cunt advice massively accepted.

I am mad enough to have 3 weddings, 2 have already been and gone in Ukraine and were cheap as fuck (in fact I made profits on both), organised by Mrs Zeb and were awesome.

I am now charged with organising the UK wedding and I am fucked if I am spending thousands on it, I will spend £2k at the most, hopefully less.

May copy a mate with a great idea which was to hire a Mexican food van and people can have fun street food instead of a posh sit down where you get sat with someone's dull uncle. Should cost just £7 per head and everyone eats good tasty food. 

I want to get a barrel or 2 of beer and loads of vodka, however I need to find a location willing to let me give my guests drinks.

Looking at a good place tomorrow which they are quoting £325 for a barn and outdoor area from 6pm-midnight. Which seems great value.

I keep on having great ideas like making it kid friendly so may hire a bouncy castle or something, any advice on amusing the little shits?

Have you considered not getting married?

• Upvote 1

Look on something alternative for the kids, it doesn't have to be mega expensive, my bubble guys were £175 which was steep for 2 hours, but it was bloody worth it for how entertained the kids (and adults) were. I also had a fair few games layered about. The thing is, the only things that really got played with were the space hoppers and a giant kerplunk! The kerplunk cost about £6 to make with chicken wire, some wood and a bag of ball pit balls from tesco and the space hoppers were around £7 each, we did get about 6 though. Kids get wild on a bouncy castle, so if you don't want all hell breaking loose I'd avoid that one, unless you've only a handful of kids and they'd all fit on it? If there is a chance of it raining, raid charity shops for board games and have them hidden under some tables as a back up. We had rain and totally forgot to pull these out. 

• Upvote 1

Look on something alternative for the kids, it doesn't have to be mega expensive, my bubble guys were £175 which was steep for 2 hours, but it was bloody worth it for how entertained the kids (and adults) were. I also had a fair few games layered about. The thing is, the only things that really got played with were the space hoppers and a giant kerplunk! The kerplunk cost about £6 to make with chicken wire, some wood and a bag of ball pit balls from tesco and the space hoppers were around £7 each, we did get about 6 though. Kids get wild on a bouncy castle, so if you don't want all hell breaking loose I'd avoid that one, unless you've only a handful of kids and they'd all fit on it? If there is a chance of it raining, raid charity shops for board games and have them hidden under some tables as a back up. We had rain and totally forgot to pull these out.

All good stuff and would probably add that someone always gets hurt on a bouncy castle. Too much supervision required.

And fair plat to you, Rem, for thinking about the kids. Not many would do that.

How about an 'animal' man/woman or someone that could mingle making balloon things or doing magic tricks?

Sainsburys do free glass hire for a £20 deposit.

That was the gem I found this week.

All good stuff and would probably add that someone always gets hurt on a bouncy castle. Too much supervision required.

How about an 'animal' man/woman or someone that could mingle making balloon things or doing magic tricks?

Fuck off, the bouncy castle is for the adults.

Those blokes that go round doing magic tricks & basically being nonces at weddings scare the shit out of me, I wouldn't wish that on anyone's kid, unless they were a Tory. Or a Robbie Williams fan.

We had a table with toy cars, silly putty & heroin for the bairns at our wedding, most of them spent the night throwing shapes on the dancefloor though.

Those blokes that go round doing magic tricks & basically being nonces at weddings scare the shit out of me, I wouldn't wish that on anyone's kid, unless they were a Tory. Or a Robbie Williams fan.

You may need to grow a pair as you're going to be seeing a lot of them over the next few years!