You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/05/brazilian-striker-tears-racist-abuse-romania

The Concordia Chiajna striker Wellington has complained he was the victim of repeated racist abuse from a section of Rapid Bucharest supporters during their Romanian league match on Friday.

Wellington, who was seen in tears at the end of the match, accused Rapid fans of throwing a banana at him, while TV footage showed supporters making monkey gestures and racial slurs during the tense goalless draw.

Advertisement

“It’s incredible what happened … my wife and my child were in the stands,” Wellington told local media. “I wanted to get off the field, I’m not a monkey. I told the referee and he gave me a yellow card. Those who did that are idiots, and I hope the federation will do something about it.”

The Romanian football authorities were not immediately available for comment.

The incidents come after it was announced that Manchester City’s match at CSKA Moscow will be played behind closed doors and two months after Uefa punished three Champions League clubs for racist behaviour by fans, with Steaua Bucharest, Hungary’s Debrecen and Slovenia’s Maribor ordered to close sections of their grounds. Steaua were sanctioned again in September.

Advertisement

Rapid’s coach Marian Rada, who began his sixth spell in charge of the Bucharest-based club, made an extraordinary statement afterwards, saying: “Was he crying? Don’t you see what’s happening in theatres? Maybe Wellington should have cried because he didn’t score.

“How do we know it was a Rapid fan? Maybe a banana just slipped out of someone’s hand in the stands.”

At the same time, the Romanian police said an investigation has been launched after a Rapid Bucharest fan entered the stadium in Chiajna with a flag with Nazi symbols printed on it. Police said they will use video evidence when tracking the offender, who could face from six months to five years in prison.