You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fabio Borini

moof

I'm not sure how many more big games he has to score in before people can see he is good enough for Liverpool. He scored in both Tyne-Wear derbies, against both mancs in the league cup (including the final) and against Chelsea in both the league and league cup. That is solid work for a guy that started the season on the bench behind Dozy.

Great attitude, works his arse off every game and is a much more dangerous player now that he is confident, unlike the player we saw for much of his first season. All that without even touching on his lack of luck with injuries in his first season here.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

As I said when I signed him, he's overpriced but he's a talented player. At the time we signed him he was banging them in for Roma in the second half of the season, had rightfully earned himself a place in the Italy squad, and was still only 20. I hope he can kick on. Good work rate, good movement. Would thrive off more chances. I'd be happy to have him in the squad next season. Unless we can get a big money bid for him, I can see the point in selling him.

As I said when I signed him, he's overpriced but he's a talented player. At the time we signed him he was banging them in for Roma in the second half of the season, had rightfully earned himself a place in the Italy squad, and was still only 20. I hope he can kick on. Good work rate, good movement. Would thrive off more chances. I'd be happy to have him in the squad next season. Unless we can get a big money bid for him, I can see the point in selling him.

Word

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-borini-conspiracy-the-loaned-out-striker-the-penalty-shot-and-liverpools-10-year-plot-to-win-the-premier-league/

The Borini Conspiracy: The Loaned-Out Striker, the Penalty Shot, and Liverpool’s 10-Year Plot to Win the Premier League

On Saturday, the first player Brendan Rodgers signed as Liverpool manager scored the winning goal at Stamford Bridge, knocking Chelsea three points back as Steven Gerrard & Co. extended their winning streak to 11 games and their lead atop the English Premier League table to an eerily comfortable five points. Except, Liverpool and Chelsea? They don’t play until April 27.

Welcome to the Borini Conspiracy. Stay woke, y’all.

Let’s go back to 2004. Rodgers becomes Chelsea’s head youth coach. He’s hired by, yes, Jose Mourinho. The easiest way to hide a conspiracy from a would-be watchdog? Use him as a pawn. Why did Rodgers get the new gig? It was suggested to Mourinho by Steve Clarke, who later served as Kenny Dalglish’s assistant at, you guessed it, Liverpool F.C.

In 2006, Rodgers is promoted to reserve-team coach. A year after that, one 16-year-old Fabio Borini joins Chelsea’s reserves under Rodgers. Coincidental? The only coincidence is that the “There Are No Coincidences, Bro” T-shirt I own is also long enough to be worn without pants. In 2008, Rodgers leaves Chelsea to manage Watford for one season, and then Reading for another. Both clubs were in the Championship, neither a success — but Rodgers had to slow his ascent. Borini still wasn’t old enough to buy cigarettes in New Jersey.

Come 2010, Rodgers takes a job with Swansea. Halfway through the season, who joins Swansea on loan? Borini. Who scores six goals in nine games? Borini. Who helps Swansea get promoted to the Premier League? Borini. After that half-season, Borini leaves Swansea. But rather than going back to Chelsea, he moves to Roma. The best place to hide an Italian? In Italy. Then, after one EPL season with Swansea, Rodgers becomes Liverpool manager. Who does he replace? Among others, Clarke. Who’s an outspoken supporter of the move? Mourinho. Who’s his first signing? Fabio Borini. Some hailed him as the Bolognese Pedro of the new Scouse Barcelona, but a “shoulder injury” derailed his first season. I’m not saying it was a fake injury in order to make a loan move to Sunderland by an Italian international seem reasonable, but I’m also not not saying that you play soccer with your feet, not your shoulders.

On April 19, 2014 — c’mon, a day before Easter — Borini converts a penalty in the 82nd minute to give bottom-of-the-table Sunderland a 2-1 victory over Chelsea, Mourinho’s first loss in 78 home league games as manager of Chelsea. The way to make the near-culmination of a methodical, flawless, decadelong plan seem anything but: Shroud it in “improbable” history.

Some have said Liverpool are a team of destiny; others might say that destiny is just an opiate to numb us from the cruelly efficient, unspectacular, behind-the-scenes machinations of a handful of omni-powerful men and women who shape the world to their liking.

Last month, Rodgers was asked about Borini’s loan to Sunderland. His response: “Hopefully, in the future, Liverpool will benefit from it.”

Still don't think he is very good, sadly.  I'd sell him to Italy (and Aspas back to Spain) to fund another striker what is better.  Takes a good penalty mind you.  At the moment he is Dirk Kuyt with less goals and assists.

Anyway will certainly have a place in Liverpool folklore should we do it.