You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you mean nett spend. They won't.

Last year our income was 225m euros (£187m todays conversion). If we spent a nett £100m, would we recoup in excess of £287m? i don't think so.

Each PL slot is worth £800k, CL football £20m-£35m.

FSG are an investment club - that would make no sense to them.

they need to speculate to accumulate, either that or fuck of and sell us to china

Firstly, it was a desire, not a requirement.

The diffference between 5th and 10th is not financially a big deal for them. Europe and a cup are secured.

They'd take 4th place over the shitty Europa League secured via a Carling Cup and 8th, and I'm not sure you can extrapolate "desire, not a requirement" from a statement like:

"Our main goal is to qualify for the Champions League."

Which is what Henry said in August.

I don't buy the "finishing 5th is the same as 10th". Finishing 10th would be fucking humiliating. More importantly to the owners, finishing 5th would show that the current management team is heading in the right direction. They'd be more likely to show them some faith, and invest. Finish 10th, and they'll start firing people.

I don't know what that means.

I really struggle with some of the shit he comes out with:

"he will almost certainly be told to trade out of trouble"

"Why would FSG risk net cash when the first round went wrong"

"qualification was no trip-wire, nor should it have been"

It's almost as if he thinks if he talks in pseudo-American Corporate Language we might think that he has some kind of insight into FSG, and know what the fuck he's on about.

it's quite funny

I don't buy the "finishing 5th is the same as 10th". Finishing 10th would be fucking humiliating. More importantly to the owners, finishing 5th would show that the current management team is heading in the right direction. They'd be more likely to show them some faith, and invest. Finish 10th, and they'll start firing people.

Nobody buys it, because it's fucking bollocks.

They'd take 4th place over the shitty Europa League secured via a Carling Cup and 8th, and I'm not sure you can extrapolate "desire, not a requirement" from a statement like:

"Our main goal is to qualify for the Champions League."

Which is what Henry said in August.

No-one doubts the benefits and objective of CL football.

The question is how seriously worried FSG will be by a non-CL finish this time around. Just because it is a main goal does not mean that you sack the manager if you don't get it.

My point is that a Cup (maybe two) and Euro football next season will leave Kenny secure pretty much irrespective of league finish for FSG.

Xerxes this was a pet hate of mine and others when you posted regularly on RAWK, stop talking like everything you say is fact. You don't know what the owners think of our current position, you don't know that they will be happy with a cup and Europe, you don't know anything everything you say is you're opinion and your welcome to it but stop passing it off as fact and don't bother pretending that you know somebody with FSG's ear.

I really struggle with some of the shit he comes out with:

"he will almost certainly be told to trade out of trouble"

"Why would FSG risk net cash when the first round went wrong"

"qualification was no trip-wire, nor should it have been"

It's almost as if he thinks if he talks in pseudo-American Corporate Language we might think that he has some kind of insight into FSG, and know what the fuck he's on about.

it's quite funny

It comes as no surprise that your reading is a problem - amusing you is never difficult.;)

Xerxes this was a pet hate of mine and others when you posted regularly on RAWK, stop talking like everything you say is fact. You don't know what the owners think of our current position, you don't know that they will be happy with a cup and Europe, you don't know anything everything you say is you're opinion and your welcome to it but stop passing it off as fact and don't bother pretending that you know somebody with FSG's ear.

I haven't presented it as fact, but as a possible position.

As a fan, I 100% agree with you.

My point is that Kenny will point to cup success and euro qualification as the markers for this season.

Fortunately the liklihood of us finishing tenth is slight. I think it will be a 6th-8th finish. That should be enough for Kenny to keep the attack dogs at bay.

As a fan, I 100% agree with you.

My point is that Kenny will point to cup success and euro qualification as the markers for this season.

Fortunately the liklihood of us finishing tenth is slight. I think it will be a 6th-8th finish. That should be enough for Kenny to keep the attack dogs at bay.

"Will". You've presented this more as a statement of fact and eventuality, not as a 'possible' position or likelihood at all. I think you've said the same about what the owners think. Stated as fact, not possibility or conjecture. I admire your confidence.

I still believe in the players we bought I just dont think we're getting the best out of them

At some point we have to realize that Andy is just not a pass and move kinda player and offers very little flexibility for a team at the top unless you are City and can afford a 35m bench scrub. The only summer buy I would agree with you is Downing who I think is relatively better than we've seen. Henderson's balls are far too small to handle the big stage and i question their ability to grow. A poor summer has cost our progress for probably the 4th time in the last decade or so.

Xerxes? Not going to debate the merits or otherwise of some of the trash posted on here both by the OP & various others & will keep my opinions on what I think of Most of what you put to myself for now but what I Will say for now is? Don't be deliberately controversial by massaging the figures to support your Own argument if you feel your argument is a weak one (which it is btw in That respect - it's pathetic). Carroll & Suarez between them? Have scored a bit more than 10 goals - They've actually scored 25 goals since arriving with Carroll currently having 8 & Luis 17 of those. So much for those who say Luis doesn't score frequently no?

Regarding Luis? He's in actual fact looking at our current sorry stats & figures? Probably The closest thing this confidence bereft, clapped out wreck of a team on it's last legs with nearly All it's crucial players injured actually Has to a prolific striker right now. Thinking about it - In fact? In some ways, Luis reminds me of Van Persie from only a year or two ago & look at Him now. Sometimes? The best things take time and patience to arrive but give them time? And they Will arrive - The same will happen here If we give it time - Kenny will make sure of that - He's a more than good enough manager as evidenced by the titles & trophies he's won as Manager on his CV. He'll do it again with us given time, Mark my words.....................

Edited by Redshadow

Xerxes? Not going to debate the merits or otherwise of some of the trash posted on here both by the OP & various others & will keep my opinions on what I think of Most of what you put to myself for now but what I Will say for now is? Don't be deliberately controversial by massaging the figures to support your Own argument if you feel your argument is a weak one (which it is btw in That respect - it's pathetic). Carroll & Suarez between them? Have scored a bit more than 10 goals - They've actually scored 25 goals since arriving with Carroll currently having 8 & Luis 17 of those. So much for those who say Luis doesn't score frequently no?

Regarding Luis? He's in actual fact looking at our current sorry stats & figures? Probably The closest thing this confidence bereft, clapped out wreck of a team on it's last legs with nearly All it's crucial players injured actually Has to a prolific striker right now. Thinking about it - In fact? In some ways, Luis reminds me of Van Persie from only a year or two ago & look at Him now. Sometimes? The best things take time and patience to arrive but give them time? And they Will arrive - The same will happen here If we give it time - Kenny will make sure of that - He's a more than good enough manager as evidenced by the titles & trophies he's won as Manager on his CV. He'll do it again with us given time, Mark my words.....................

Redshadow, I Didn’t massage the figures. It is you That has massaged the figures They were correct. League goals scored for this Season. So much for those that have not Checked league goals scored for this season, no?

Thinking about It I agree that he is the closest Thing we have to prolific currently. He is Indeed the best player we have. We agree That Kenny needs more Time – and he shall have it!

"Will". You've presented this more as a statement of fact and eventuality, not as a 'possible' position or likelihood at all. I think you've said the same about what the owners think. Stated as fact, not possibility or conjecture. I admire your confidence.

I used it in the sense that such an argument is the most robust defence for an attack upon his performance.

I happen to think that FSG could do well to ask a number of excellent posters on here to set the questions.

I used it in the sense that such an argument is the most robust defence for an attack upon his performance.

I happen to think that FSG could do well to ask a number of excellent posters on here to set the questions.

So it's more a recommendation/opinion, rather than you knowing what Kenny and the owners intend to do or say?