You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

All religions should be kept out of education.  Teach your kids fairytales on your own time. 

Trickier to enforce when you have an established religion and a head of state with the title Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Trickier to enforce when you have an established religion and a head of state with the title Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Well we manage to have schools that don’t follow that faith.  Won’t be easy but hopefully in 50 yrs it’ll be seen as crazy. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well we manage to have schools that don’t follow that faith.  Won’t be easy but hopefully in 50 yrs it’ll be seen as crazy. 

The problem is many people call it "woke" that kids rarely sing christmas carols in schools anymore. 

When I was a kid, assembly was like a mass Gregorian chant and that was only the early 90's. I should be a fucking Cardinal. 

Agree though, it needs fucking off. Teach values in other ways. Division at infant level is scandalous. 

On 25/11/2022 at 08:33, Bjornebye said:

The problem is many people call it "woke" that kids rarely sing christmas carols in schools anymore. 

When I was a kid, assembly was like a mass Gregorian chant and that was only the early 90's. I should be a fucking Cardinal. 

Agree though, it needs fucking off. Teach values in other ways. Division at infant level is scandalous. 

This girl on the right in the angel wings knows how to belt out a Chrritmas carol.  Beautiful.

On 25/11/2022 at 08:33, Bjornebye said:

It was a fucking cult, making us sing shite songs first thing in the morning about a magical sky fairy, a slag who lied about getting knocked up and a little fucking donkey.

This was tune though…

1 minute ago, Fugitive said:

It was a fucking cult, making us sing shite songs first thing in the morning about a magical sky fairy, a slag who lied about getting knocked up and a little fucking donkey.

This was tune though…

Lord of the dance was a belter. Still is 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Thinking back, we had a lad who came to our school when he was about 7 or 8 from the Lebanon as a refugee with his family. His dad was a lecturer and had to do a bunk. Khaled became one of my really good friends but he used to sing all that shite and he was a Muslim. Pretty sure he was one of the Shepard’s with me in the school play and his Mum and Dad came to watch. At the time, I’m almost certain his family where the only Muslims in Huyton and lived on the Johns but he was one of us in school and his family were boss when we went for scran after school.

Better times then, it’s far more fucked now.

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

In primary school (St Edward's in Runcorn) one lad got caned - and not in a good way - for the word "of".  We were singing the one that goes

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna to the King of Kings,

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna to the King 

Everyone kept getting it wrong and singing a superfluous "of" until the Headmaster lost his arse and threatened to cane the next person who sang it.

Great days.

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

In primary school (St Edward's in Runcorn) one lad got caned - and not in a good way - for the word "of".  We were singing the one that goes

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna to the King of Kings,

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna,

Sing Hosanna to the King 

Everyone kept getting it wrong and singing a superfluous "of" until the Headmaster lost his arse and threatened to cane the next person who sang it.

Great days.

Saint Mary's in Crosby, run by the "Christian Brothers". You would get battered because they felt like it. I decided then that religion and I weren't getting along.

10 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...

Well, that's OK then.

Screenshot_2022-12-01-07-26-38-52_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg