You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think you just proved the point.

I didnt even look at the categories. I just tick British and move on. I could do Irish or Celtic too,if they even count. It's a minefield and not something I get particularly bothered about. I'd rather just tick a box for 'human'  if  anything at all.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm still no closer to understanding what you mean by the word "ethnicity". If you can be prescriptive of what does or doesn't count, you must have some idea of a definition.

Vlad provided a link - you can use that if you really need to.

Off to ask my Canadian neighbor his. Will be really surprised if he answers Canadian - will circle back and let you know.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Vlad provided a link - you can use that if you really need to.

Off to ask my Canadian neighbor his. Will be really surprised if he answers Canadian - will circle back and let you know.

He provided a link to the categories the UK Government use. I was asking about your opinion.

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He provided a link to the categories the UK Government use. I was asking about your opinion.

For the purposes of this discussion it would be easier to say what isn't tbh cuz I have no interest in listing Samoan ( even though they probably get screwed with Polynesian) et al.

European is not an ethnicity, neither is British. Neither is American. As it turns out neither is Canadian, he just texted me back.

What do you put down for your ethnicity?

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You sound like Kanye West, not sure if it is sarcasm.

OK - so Jewish is or is not an ethnicity?

Not according to the UK Government (wrongly) it’s not. 

BECBB220-4B86-4BC5-8AE0-EDCAEB86088D.jpeg

12 hours ago, Strontium said:

Of course it's an ethnicity. Not sure what point you are trying to make.

I have done a few searches on “the difference between race and ethnicity”  and I haven’t seen Jew listed as an ethnicity (which I find strange) in any of the first page results, nor is it listed in any ethnic groups, again I find this strange as Jews are one of the largest ethnic groups in the world.

Therefore, is it not plausible that people see it incorrectly as a religion  because it’s not listed as an ethnic group or race? Which I suppose backs up the premise of the title of Baddiel’s book and documentary? 

I did manage to find this though, the only link I could see where Jew’s are even mentioned when it came to describing ethnicity, under the religious expression part.

So I can understand why a lot of people get confused as there are that many definitions of race and ethnicity about, and the majority are where Jews are not listed as either.

232F7FC6-C54F-4E35-8103-C0DC90E6F9C9.jpeg

https://www.dictionary.com/e/race-vs-ethnicity/

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

For the purposes of this discussion it would be easier to say what isn't tbh cuz I have no interest in listing Samoan ( even though they probably get screwed with Polynesian) et al.

European is not an ethnicity, neither is British. Neither is American. As it turns out neither is Canadian, he just texted me back.

What do you put down for your ethnicity?

I don't want a list of what you do or don't consider to be an ethnicity. I just want to understand your reasoning when you say one thing is an ethnicity but another thing isn't.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I don't want a list of what you do or don't consider to be an ethnicity. I just want to understand your reasoning when you say one thing is an ethnicity but another thing isn't.

Maybe Howie's influenced by the US style of 'labelling' and we are influenced by ours? Its all just another way of dividing us plebs.

I'm no authority on this topic, but I remember when Miliband was Labour Leader in the run-up to the 2015 GE, and me having it out with a couple of random right-wingers on Twitter, both of whom claimed to be 'Jewish'.

Basically, they were taking issue with Miliband's claim that he was Jewish, even though he was an atheist and, apparently, eats bacon sandwiches. I countered that he obviously considers himself to be racially Jewish, to which they both replied that there is no such thing, and worse, to believe that Jews are a racial group (rather than members of a religion) was to agree with, you guessed it, Hitler and the Nazis, who famously use to define and 'uncover' Jews during the persecutions and pogroms by their physical appearances, rather than their knowledge of the Torah.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that there is no settled consensus on what exactly defines a Jew. Certainly a belief in Judaism, but beyond that?

I've only skimmed through this paper, by a professor at the Centre for Jewish Studies, who seems to argue that Jewishness is cultural rather than racial.

http://web.ceu.hu/jewishstudies/pdf/01_hoedl.pdf

Edited by Jack the Sipper
changed 'ethnic to 'racial' to avoid confusion as to what I was referring to