You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I randomly read the Christchurch massacre thread last night after it was mentioned re: hades. Funny that a certain poster who is usually straight in with opinions and usually ends up pissing people off when it's a likely islamic attack was nowhere to be seen and when he eventually appeared there was no condemnation it was a snide joke about an onion. 

I'm not saying this means anything of course. Just an observation. 

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The "hilarious" bloke who blacks up to play Mel B and Craig David.

I've never seen him do Baddiel. I just know he's horrifically unfunny.

Bo Selecta twat? I never watched it because it was shit but if he blacked up then he's a cunt. Did he apologise? Has he got a book out right now? 

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I believe that Baddiel’s re-brand roadshow repeated the lies about the Mear One mural in London. 

Lies are ok apparently. Say it, don't back it up... leave it there and a few people will see it as gospel even when you ignore people asking for clarity. 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh, it seems Sarah Silverman also blacked up and used derogatory words against minorities as well but let's not mention that eh. 

Sarah Silverman: Funny woman or foul-mouthed racist? | The Independent | The Independent

That must be about her Jesus Is Magic show (I can’t read the article) 

From what I remember of that, it does cut close the to bone, and today would be far more uncomfortable to watch than back then. Andd when compared to when she went the full Al Jolson it plays very different. That special goes for stereotypes. It’s been a long time since I have seen that show, but it’s on YouTube for everyone to see and make their own judgement. 

She is still funny, she is trying to be a good person, she is still trying to good in the world (which is what Baddiel is essentially trying to do, except the funny bit)

However does the portrayer of an anti-racist message not lose credibility on the matter when they have been, to use an old TLW quote “massive racists”, themselves in the past?

44 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

she is trying to be a good person

I think that's the bottom line for me. Sarah Silverman, David Baddiel, Matt Lucas, Jimmy Carr and probably quite a few others have been known to occasionally misjudge stuff quite badly; but I don't think any of them trade in lazy racism or punching down in the way that a cunt like Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson did.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Gene Wilder was brilliant in Silver Streak. 

50 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

And Blazing Saddles. 

I think he's underrated as an actor, because he's too often considered as "just" a funny man. The scene where he's telling Sheriff Bart all about the Waco Kid, over a game of chess, is beautiful.

57 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think he's underrated as an actor, because he's too often considered as "just" a funny man. The scene where he's telling Sheriff Bart all about the Waco Kid, over a game of chess, is beautiful.

Brilliant film, and rips the piss out racism all over the show!

And that scene was superb "Little bastard shot me in the ass!"

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think that's the bottom line for me. Sarah Silverman, David Baddiel, Matt Lucas, Jimmy Carr and probably quite a few others have been known to occasionally misjudge stuff quite badly; but I don't think any of them trade in lazy racism or punching down in the way that a cunt like Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson did.

Blacking up sort of falls out of the misjudging stuff category for me, the intent may not have been hateful, but in the 90’s it was considered racist because we had been taught that “golliwogs” and The Black and White Minstrel shows were horrifically racist. It’s no excuse (in my eyes) regarding that aspect. 

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

That must be about her Jesus Is Magic show (I can’t read the article) 

From what I remember of that, it does cut close the to bone, and today would be far more uncomfortable to watch than back then. Andd when compared to when she went the full Al Jolson it plays very different. That special goes for stereotypes. It’s been a long time since I have seen that show, but it’s on YouTube for everyone to see and make their own judgement. 

She is still funny, she is trying to be a good person, she is still trying to good in the world (which is what Baddiel is essentially trying to do, except the funny bit)

However does the portrayer of an anti-racist message not lose credibility on the matter when they have been, to use an old TLW quote “massive racists”, themselves in the past?

Is Baddiels intention to do good in the world though? Or is he just a grifter? Best selling book, TV show, media  appearances, tours. It's certainly been profitable. That Jack Monroe cooking lady also seems guilty of feathering her own nest from seemingly trying to do good.  

Baddiel has reinvented himself as the self appointed  spokesman on the weight of suffering endured by minorities whilst in the past not being squeaky clean himself. 

I tend to agree with this lady below,it's divisive.

So has he really done good and was his intention to do good?  I'm not sure. 

Gnasher, I can’t comment on the show or his book as I have neither read (or listened in my case as I am an audiobook guy) or watched either yet. 

The easy thing would be to say yeah he is, like loads of people are called (Jack Monroe or Lawrence Fox) but other than commenting on what I think of him as a “comedian” and his own history with racism, I’ll leave that element until I have listened to the audiobook and watched the documentary. 

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Is Baddiels intention to do good in the world though? Or is he just a grifter? Best selling book, TV show, media  appearances, tours. It's certainly been profitable. That Jack Monroe cooking lady also seems guilty of feathering her own nest from seemingly trying to do good.  

Baddiel has reinvented himself as the self appointed  spokesman on the weight of suffering endured by minorities whilst in the past not being squeaky clean himself. 

I tend to agree with this lady below,it's divisive.

So has he really done good and was his intention to do good?  I'm not sure. 

And how many times have you questioned the motives of other race campaigners?  That’s the ENTIRE point. 

And if not him then who would ‘qualify’ to be able to speak on the matter?  

Most of this is routed in support for Corbyn IMO.  Which is why it looks like a cult at times.  

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

And how many times have you questioned the motives of other race campaigners?  That’s the ENTIRE point. 

And if not him then who would ‘qualify’ to be able to speak on the matter?  

Most of this is routed in support for Corbyn IMO.  Which is why it looks like a cult at times.  

I've only recently questioned Jack Monroe. I'll take each case/person on its merits.

I think I’ve figured it all out now. 

Things to be embarrassed/uncomfortable about: a handful of posts saying that any antisemitism that Baddiel faces is wrong, as is antisemitism in general, but you still find it difficult to ignore Baddiel’s involvement in numerous past homophobic, ableist and racist incidents and find his attempts to rebrand himself as an anti-racism campaigner somewhat hypocritical. 

Things not to be embarrassed/uncomfortable about: a voluminous back catalogue of anti-Muslim and anti-trans posts. 

Is that right?

”I love this place” etc, etc, etc.