You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

SO sad, and so fucking selfish. That's right, Dan Walker and many of the MOTD team, and everyone else who spoke to him yesterday will forever be affected by his act. I have every sympathy for those with depression, dont you worry about that, but my first reaction is always to err on the side of 'you selfish fucker, thanks for that'.

God bless his two young boys.

Twat

I have every sympathy for those with depression, dont you worry about that, but my first reaction is always to err on the side of 'you selfish fucker, thanks for that'.

No you don't, or you wouldn't write such monumentally ignorant bullshit.

Someone in my immediate family made an attempt a few days ago by the way, and I can assure you those were not my thoughts.

In fact, the only selfishness I see here is in the kind of attitude you display.

Couldn't believe seeing that he'd died, was way more shocked when seeing that he'd killed himself. The fact that he was on tv yesterday, seemed fine and nobody noticed anything wrong is really unsettling. It's just confusing and saddening really. Also thought he was going to be truly great for the Wales side, and their players, staff and fans, among lots of others including his wife, kids, friends, ex-team mates, etc, must be devastated. RIP.

SO sad, and so fucking selfish. That's right, Dan Walker and many of the MOTD team, and everyone else who spoke to him yesterday will forever be affected by his act. I have every sympathy for those with depression, dont you worry about that, but my first reaction is always to err on the side of 'you selfish fucker, thanks for that'.

your one attention seeking dickhead.

A lot of people suffering from depression hide it very well, assuming that was the case here. It's a great pity, because asking for help is a much better way out. Part of the illness though is assuming that you are not worth helping and that no-one would want to anyway.

I've never suffered depression of the magnitude suffered by those who take the final step (obviously) but I've encountered it for an extended period of my life nonetheless. Luckily that has more or less evaporated in recent years, but when the black cloud is above you it can be hard to find shelter before it pisses all over you.

You're right to say that people hide it, but when it comes to asking for help, that can be complicated by the fact that you often end up being told to pull yourself together; there's an assumption, made out of a lack of comprehension and understanding rather than malice, that it's like an on / off switch which can end up with you internalising it. Of course, there are various reasons (maybe you're too proud and just don't want to bother anyone, maybe, as you say, you feel beyond help etcetera) for keeping it hidden and that is but one.

I was reading an article only a day or two ago about Stan Collymore's bouts with the disease. Not exactly my favourite ex-Liverpool player, but I found myself rooting for him and came away with a better understanding of his failings. Gary Speed? I really cannot believe this. It's just utterly shocking, a real gut punch, and I can only hope for the best from here on for his family.

I'll never see it as a genuinely selfish act on Speed's part, because it's beyond comprehension, it's beyond rational thought. If you've a healthy mind, you don't do something like this, just as you don't get an infection in a healthy tooth, but it's a lot easier to have a bad tooth pulled than a propensity for severe depression. I understand why some see it differently, I just disagree wholeheartedly and think that you are, at best, severely misguided.

attitudes to mental illness like that create a stigma that stops people seeking help at an earlier stage. Its an ILLNESS. Its tragic for his family and friends but you have to try and imagine the place he was in to feel that this was his only option.

I've never suffered depression of the magnitude suffered by those who take the final step (obviously) but I've encountered it for an extended period of my life nonetheless. Luckily that has more or less evaporated in recent years, but when the black cloud is above you it can be hard to find shelter before it pisses all over you.

You're right to say that people hide it, but when it comes to asking for help, that can be complicated by the fact that you often end up being told to pull yourself together; there's an assumption, made out of a lack of comprehension and understanding rather than malice, that it's like an on / off switch which can end up with you internalising it. Of course, there are various reasons (maybe you're too proud and just don't want to bother anyone, maybe, as you say, you feel beyond help etcetera) for keeping it hidden and that is but one.

I was reading an article only a day or two ago about Stan Collymore's bouts with the disease. Not exactly my favourite ex-Liverpool player, but I found myself rooting for him and came away with a better understanding of his failings. Gary Speed? I really cannot believe this. It's just utterly shocking, a real gut punch, and I can only hope for the best from here on for his family.

I'll never see it as a genuinely selfish act on Speed's part, because it's beyond comprehension, it's beyond rational thought. If you've a healthy mind, you don't do something like this, just as you don't get an infection in a healthy tooth, but it's a lot easier to have a bad tooth pulled than a propensity for severe depression. I understand the why some see it differently, I just disagree wholeheartedly and think that you are, at best, severely misguided.

Great post, and believe me, I know.

You're one attention seeking fuck wit. Fuck off.

attitudes to mental illness like that create a stigma that stops people seeking help at an earlier stage. Its an ILLNESS. Its tragic for his family and friends but you have to try and imagine the place he was in to feel that this was his only option.

Think that's really well said, agreed totally. I don't think Funnneeeee said what he did purely to be a twat either, it's just unfortunate that so many people see all cases of suicide like that.

What the fuck are you rambling about you complete idiot.

read this news on ceefax of all places. shocking, sad and confusing. why like? I'm sure it will all come out in the coming days. Even if he was suffering from depression surely he had enough money to pay for professional help unlike people who have to rely on the NHS waiting lists to be whittled down before they get to talk to someone. who knows what his circumstances were but a terrible loss all the same.

I used to think suicide was selfish but it must be an incredibly difficult thing to do. my mates mum kill herself 4 years ago, he found her and it really changed my thoughts on people who commit suicide.

This is a huge shock because he gave every impression of just being a steady, down-to-earth sort of guy throughout his career. Never one of those players you could hate (except when he scored against us of course) because ultimately you could recognise he was just being 100% professional and not acting like a twat. Despite all that's been said thus far, the real reason behind this turn of events is still speculation.

Funeeeeeeeeee - worracunt!

Yes, so selfish. He was obviously thinking straight at the time, you know, the time when he's obviously had personal issues where he's felt that the only option was to kill himself.

Annoys me that people have to hijack a sad occasion to try to get attention.

A very sad day.

very true its the only thought that does make sence at the time

R.I.P Gary

thoughts go out to family and friends

I can only echo what others have said already in the thread, I think the only positive to take from this or hopefully take from this is bringing the issue of mental health up. Especially in a pre-dominately male environment were talking about feelings is deemed 'gay'.

totally agree.

Its strange, that in a world were through technology, communciaction is almost people instantaneous, that you can still feel so alone.

And thats from my own experience as well.