You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yes, a 5-Test Series between England and NZ round about now would be fucking boss, Georgie.

But that wouldn't suit the ICC at all.

Both teams have a very attacking mindset and both countries climate seems to help produce result pitches/conditions.  Maybe it is our conditions that are primarily in favour of the bowler that means batsmen have to get on with scoring because you'll get a jaffa sooner or later.

I don't think it was a coincidence that England lost the 2 ashes games this summer on southern, harder/flatter wickets & while NZ lost to Australia.

If test cricket is to survive it needs groundsmen to produce proper wickets.  the recent series between India & SA was an utter joke.  Likewise lifeless hard flat tracks need abolishing.  imo Australia have far too many of these & why they seem to completely collapse at the first sign of swing or seam movement

Both teams have a very attacking mindset and both countries climate seems to help produce result pitches/conditions.  Maybe it is our conditions that are primarily in favour of the bowler that means batsmen have to get on with scoring because you'll get a jaffa sooner or later.

I don't think it was a coincidence that England lost the 2 ashes games this summer on southern, harder/flatter wickets & while NZ lost to Australia.

If test cricket is to survive it needs groundsmen to produce proper wickets.  the recent series between India & SA was an utter joke.  Likewise lifeless hard flat tracks need abolishing.  imo Australia have far too many of these & why they seem to completely collapse at the first sign of swing or seam movement

Test Cricket is fucked I'm afraid, George.  Fucked.

The agenda is set, the die cast.

If you want a preview of things to come... get yourself a replay of the "wonderfully entertaining" inaugural day/night Test between Aust/NZ.

Listen to the propaganda from the commentators in that match.  Warne, even Mark Taylor.

4 days, pink balls.

Yep, thanks cricket, get fucked.

Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Starting Mid June.

My course finishes mid May, then fortnight in Italy, then I will be spending the rest of the summer watching cricket.

Rome?

There's a little unspectacular place just off the Piazza Navona, heading directly in the Campo Fiori direction.

Little outdoor area, but inside's better... you'll know it when you see it.

Have a Carbonara, followed by a Veal Scallopine and a couple of litre carafes of wine there.

That'll set you up nicely for a summer of Test Cricket, while Test Cricket lasts.

I'm jealous.

• Upvote 1

Test Cricket is fucked I'm afraid, George. Fucked.

If you want a preview of things to come... get yourself a replay of the "wonderfully entertaining" inaugural day/night Test between Aust/NZ.

Listen to the propaganda from the commentators in that match. Warne, even Mark Taylor.

4 days, pink balls.

I flicked on to the Big Bash before, Watched it for about 5 minutes. It consisted of Ricky Ponting mentioning the replay being sponsored by KFC around 5 times. It was all a bit sad and embarrassing. No doubt Sky are salivating over the prospect of doing that over here.

Rome?

There's a little unspectacular place just off the Piazza Navona, heading directly in the Campo Fiori direction.

Little outdoor area, but inside's better... you'll know it when you see it.

Have a Carbonara, followed by a Veal Scallopine and a couple of litre carafes of wine there.

That'll set you up nicely for a summer of Test Cricket, while Test Cricket lasts.

I'm jealous.

Le Marche. Mate has a house out there and I usually go every year but didn't last year. Really looking forward to it, beautiful part of the world.

Canneloni is the dish to have there, and I will be. Probably most days.

Le Marche. Mate has a house out there and I usually go every year but didn't last year. Really looking forward to it, beautiful part of the world.

Canneloni is the dish to have there, and I will be. Probably most days.

Too much pasta for me, Canneloni.  Although what's inside it makes a difference to my indifference.

Sounds a brilliant hoiiday.

• Upvote 1

Test Cricket is fucked I'm afraid, George.  Fucked.

Listen to the propaganda from the commentators in that match.  Warne, even Mark Taylor.

4 days, pink balls.

Its not dead just yet..... cricket authortities have to admit that 20:20 is the future & crowd pleaser but Test cricket still should be the pinnacle.  I'm not sure how they will go about it in the cricket calendar but they need to prevent these domestic 20:20 competitions being pretty much all year round.  there needs to be windows for NH & SH cricket & the format being smaller/quicker.  There also needs to be less test cricket, the players need to be paid more to entice the best players to play and proper pitches & tours need scheduling.   Less test matches mean test players get a bit more rest to hopefully they are at their peak & not burnt out when the tests come around.  A lot of players are being put off due to the time spent away from family etc on long tours or back to back away tours.

Its not dead just yet..... cricket authortities have to admit that 20:20 is the future & crowd pleaser but Test cricket still should be the pinnacle.  I'm not sure how they will go about it in the cricket calendar but they need to prevent these domestic 20:20 competitions being pretty much all year round.  there needs to be windows for NH & SH cricket & the format being smaller/quicker.  There also needs to be less test cricket, the players need to be paid more to entice the best players to play and proper pitches & tours need scheduling.   Less test matches mean test players get a bit more rest to hopefully they are at their peak & not burnt out when the tests come around.  A lot of players are being put off due to the time spent away from family etc on long tours or back to back away tours.

In other words, dead George.

All these useful initiatives you mention are in the far too hard basket.

Paying more money isn't a problem, it's taking the time to dedicate ourselves to the future of Test Cricket - and these things you suggest - that will prove a bridge too far for gnat-attention-span Generation Now.

Throwing more money (and "wasting" less time) at IPL, Big Bash etc... much much easier.

Great prospect Rabada, he's bowled brilliantly all series for a 20 year old kid just starting out in test cricket. We look to be heading for a heavy defeat here, we never seem to win any test matches once a series is won.

In other news, I see Shivnarine Chanderpaul has retired. The last great West Indies cricketer? A real great of the game, nearly 12000 test runs at an average of over 50.

Unbelievable catch again by Taylor....Can someone keep their place in the side based on their catching ?

After that shot just before lunch when SA have a chance to force the game he attempts to hook Morkel with two men on the boundary, it's a no from me.