You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What phone to get?

NelCarra

Buying out my contract on Moday and getting the HTC Sensation XL with free Beats by Dr. Dre On-ear Headphones on O2. Phone is costing £79.99 and buying out my contract will cost £100 but I'll get £300 for my iPhone 4. My mate got the HTC last week after years of being an Apple user and says he'll never go back to Apple, only downside is the battery life.

htc-sensation-xl-deals.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm due an upgrade as well. What sort of contracts are people on?

I want the phone free (not sure what yet, but probably Galaxy S2 or the Sensation) and to pay about £20 a month. Am I being unrealistic?

Yes - my Vodafone contract was up and the best they would do was Samsung S2 or Sensation on 24 month contract for 31 a month. Best deal I could find was the T-Mobile Web 600 - same price for the Samsung and 18 month contract: HTC Sensation XE - Best Deals on Contract Prices from Mobiles.co.uk

I'm due an upgrade as well. What sort of contracts are people on?

I want the phone free (not sure what yet, but probably Galaxy S2 or the Sensation) and to pay about £20 a month. Am I being unrealistic?

Im on a 24 month contract but get to upgrade 6 months early. Not worth getting an S2 if you only want to pay 20 quid a month wont make use of all the features

I currently have 2 BlackBerry Curves, one for me and one for the bird.

I only ended up with it as Virgin rang me at home when I was pissed after a night shift and offered me the phones free, 600 minutes, unlimited calls to other Virgin phones (so the bird could call me constantly free of charge - yipee!), unlimited texts and unlimited internet for £25 a month each and insurance of £6 a month each.

The deal sounded quite good, till I actually found out later it was a 2 year contract on both phones.

The biggest thing to piss me off has been the internet use, it is fucking shite and can honestly take nigh on 10 minutes to load a page meaning I hardly ever use it. Is this because the phone is crap or because Virgin as a network are?

The contracts are up in March and the bird has already decided she wants an iphone in but I'm open to suggestions. What is likely to be available in 4 months time? Ideally I'd be looking at a similar plan but with a lot better phone.

Suggestions please gents.

Oh, I actually quite like the qwerty keypad on the BlackBerry as I have fingers like butchers sausages!

Im on a 24 month contract but get to upgrade 6 months early. Not worth getting an S2 if you only want to pay 20 quid a month wont make use of all the features

I don't see how his tariff will affect his use. I use my phone for things other than calls, texts, mobile Internet.

I play games, use it for the Internet, stream tv/video, sat nav, camera, camcorder, etc, none of which are affected by tariff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shite at phones. My network have just offered me 400 minutes and unlimited text and internet with one of the following phones for a tenner a month:

Samsung Galaxy Ace or Wave

HTC Wildfire S

Acer Liquid Express

What I want to know is; are those phones shit, which is the best one, is that a decent offer, or should I pay more for a better phone?

At the moment I have got a Samsung which is so shit that I don't even know what it is.

Cheers for any help.

Depends what you want to use your phone for and how much you're prepared to pay really Zig.

I'd say that 400 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited internet for £10 is pretty good, but the phones aren't that spectacular in terms of current smartphones...

Have a look at this to get an idea of the best ones on the market at the moment - 20 best mobile phones in the world today | News | TechRadar

What have you got at the moment?

It's a rubbish Samsung (S5600w); any of those three would be miles better. I mainly want to use my phone to talk on, but I fancy having a much bigger screen and android apps and that. Also I'm not working at the moment, so 400 minutes for a tenner a month sounds good. The Acer one looks the best out of those three, but I really don't have much idea!

I have no idea what Acer phones are like, so couldn't really comment on them.

I've had an HTC G2 Touch for the past two years and it was my first 'smartphone', and I have to say it was excellent until very recently, when the battery has been dying and the phone has been crashing all the time. That may just be old age, however...

Before that, I (like you) predominantly used my phone for talking/texting, but HTC phones are very simple to pick up and use, and I found it a pretty easy way into Android and smartphones.

In terms of technical specifications, the Wildfire S is probably 2nd bordering on 3rd generation now, but if you're only going to have a look on the internet/Facebook/Twitter it will handle the task admirably.

I'm not to clued up on the Galaxy Ace, but that Techradar site seem to rate it quite highly. Samsung have been making some excellent phones over the past couple of years and this is one of the forerunners to the Galaxy S2, which is arguably the best smartphone on the market at the moment.

Have a read of the two reviews on this page for the Wildfire and the Galaxy Ace and go from there - Mobile phones | TechRadar

It seems to be between the HTC and the Acer for me, because I think I have to go for one of those three because of the price, but I can't find any reviews of the Acer as it seems to be too new. However the processor seems to be more pokey (800MHz as opposed to 600MHz) and it has NFC technology which might come in handy in the two years I'll have it for! Bit torn really ... if anyone can help me decide between those two I'd be very grateful.