You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really rankles is that he's now got another footballing position that is entirely meaningless to bore us with.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you: THE BALANCING MIDFIELDER

This is easy. In a desperate effort to contradict Benitez with anything and everything, Code invents after years of thought the term "equilibrante". Brilliant counterstroke (or a sad failure, depends on where one sits) against Benitez talking about needing a "desequilibrante" type of player. Or then he just forgot the "des" part, used an internet translation machine and we're where we are...

Yeah.

Norway's national team is what we should be looking to for inspiration, winning, as they have, no major international tournaments ever, with no good players now or ever, and currently ranked just below Chile.

Norway isn't famous for anything, and never has been. Your highest media profile ever has been due to a racist mass murderer of children.

And occasionally the Eurovision song contest.

Code, you're a fucking joke on a cosmic scale.

And what depresses me most, is that I do (sort of) agree with you on some issues (mostly Lucas), and think that among the cacophony of fucking putrid shite that you hurl all over this website on a regular basis, now and again - say every one post in fifty - you do make an interesting and valid point.

But you are in severe danger of becoming Rashid Mark II, so have a word.

silva+K.O+small.gif

I really did not think I had to talk some of you through Football for dummies, but since I still have hopes for some of you I might give it a shot.

I`ll take it nice and slow though, one lesson a day, and at the end of the season you might have learned something.

Lesson 1:

Question: What is this?

China_Adidas_football20081161312223.jpg

Answer: This is a football.

I really did not think I had to talk some of you through Football for dummies, but since I still have hopes for some of you I might give it a shot.

I`ll take it nice and slow though, one lesson a day, and at the end of the season you might have learned something.

Lesson 1:

You sure about that,I mean your stats probably call it a balancing ball.

Lesson 1:

2009?

The game's moved on, this is just obsolete knowledge.

I know its going to piss you off but I really would like Code to define/describe this type of player. As a guess I think he means Xabi or Busquets but I think he may have some stats on territory played in, average pass length, pass direction (like the wagon wheel in cricket), number of interceptions, a graphic showing how little they have to run to be in position to intercept etc so that we can really get a proper perspective on what this type of player is and how they fill a role in the team.

Do you really have to ask?

Ill give you a hint. He has a red beard, hes Basque, and he tortures Codes Norway boxers with the frequent hardons he induces.

He was a cockerel headed, tattooed, gay looking fucker and he ran round the pitch like a rooster looking for some hen to pin down and fuck, but he was our rooster goddammit ! I'll miss the Portugese bastard but he did do us wrong. Anyway, fuck him, someone else will step up. Thanks for the good times Raul you poof.

Get over it. We didn't need him, and £12m for a player who will be on the bench most of the season is good.

I know he play the Lucas kind of role for Portugal, but you've got to remember PL is another league. For Portugal he probably have to make like 1 tackle pr. game as a defensive midfielder, while in PL you've got to make way more challenges, even if you play for top 4 teams.

Get over it. We didn't need him, and £12m for a player who will be on the bench most of the season is good.

I know he play the Lucas kind of role for Portugal, but you've got to remember PL is another league. For Portugal he probably have to make like 1 tackle pr. game as a defensive midfielder, while in PL you've got to make way more challenges, even if you play for top 4 teams.

Sounds good in theory does it not, everything does as long as its based a false perception of someones game.

Meireles won more tackles last year than all of players like Carrick, Essien, and Mikel have done the last three years, he also scored more goals, got more assists and created more attacks than either of these players.

Because we have played with a player like Mashcerano and now Lucas, players who run around breaking up play through tackling and contribute with little else it now seems most of our fanbase think its not possible to play the game without such a player in the team.

Like I said with Mascherano and it also works for Lucas but not in the same scale, he is superb in his narrow and limited role, but do a team really need such a player in its set up?

Portugal struggled badly to qualify for the last World Cup as well. They only just made the play offs and were lucky UEFA moved the goalposts over seeding, so they only had to play Bosnia.

And they're struggling badly now to qualify for Euro 2012. They're level on points with Denmark and Norway with a couple of games to go. And Denmark's midfield 'enforcer' is Christan Poulsen (although he has just been dropped now after not playing for ages for us).

Like I said with Mascherano and it also works for Lucas but not in the same scale, he is superb in his narrow and limited role, but do a team really need such a player in its set up?

I think every team needs a ball winner. Even Barca always play with Busquets or Masch for that purpose. Someone who can hold position, stay disciplined, cover the back four, snap at the heels of the man on the ball, win back possession and then restart possession.

That's not Merieles' game. Meireles is more of an attacking midfielder.

Portugal struggled badly to qualify for the last World Cup as well. They only just made the play offs and were lucky UEFA moved the goalposts over seeding, so they only had to play Bosnia.

And they're struggling badly now to qualify for Euro 2012. They're level on points with Denmark and Norway with a couple of games to go. And Denmark's midfield 'enforcer' is Christan Poulsen (although he has just been dropped now after not playing for ages for us).

Portugal have won all their games in the qualifiers after they got rid of that clueless manc Queiroz and they even beat Spain 4-0 in a friendly, they are among the top 4 teams in the world.

They probably will win the group and Norway and Denmark will have to fight it out for second place, they will play eachother on Tuesday by the way.

Guest ian garro
He wanted to leave, we got decent money, he wasn't going to start many games. I don't see any problems here.

Except for dillusions of grandeur, in this thread, you mean ?

Sounds good in theory does it not, everything does as long as its based a false perception of someones game.

Meireles won more tackles last year than all of players like Carrick, Essien, and Mikel have done the last three years, he also scored more goals, got more assists and created more attacks than either of these players.

Because we have played with a player like Mashcerano and now Lucas, players who run around breaking up play through tackling and contribute with little else it now seems most of our fanbase think its not possible to play the game without such a player in the team.

Considering how much football carrick and essien played last season its no surprise that meireles made more tackles than them. Mikel is just shit anyway so that's no big deal either. Any tackle stats meireles made before then means fuck all in comparison as he wasn't in the premiership. But you can give me all the stats in the world, but it doesn't disguise what i can see with my own eyes at games. He does bottle out of challenges, ive seen him do it time and again hence why he was better suited to playing further forward. Love him as a player and wish we kept him, but he will get destroyed if he plays the holding role for chelsea.