You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Kate Bliss and Christina Trevanion have got trousers on, on Bargain Hunt. Very masculine wear for females. I'm going to write to Points of View about this Manface nonsense.

Do they put on a fake beard, speak in a deep manly voice and stick cucumbers down their trousers while sitting with their legs wide apart?

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I answered it.

It's not my fault if you're too dense to understand that.

You answered it by saying you wouldn't answer it. You shit out. 

But yeah, I'm dense, no argument from me.

Why are you wasting my time with pointless hypotheticals that have no bearing on reality?

11 minutes ago, bossy said:

Do they put on a fake beard, speak in a deep manly voice and stick cucumbers down their trousers while sitting with their legs wide apart?

That'd be taking Manface too far. Not even I stuff a cucumber down my trousers and sit with my legs apart. I don't know about anyone else on here though.

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's not the point. If anyone here starts promoting it, ask them that question.

Meanwhile, (in case I haven't already mentioned it) Fascists and religious fundamentalists are harassing people who attend events where children's entertainers read children's stories to children and their families.  I think that's a bit shit.  You and Stronts seem to think it's OK: your response can be summed up as "well, they've got a point".  I struggle to imagine a scenario where that is an appropriate response to Fascist mob-raisers. I can only think that you believe that, by letting the bigots harass families, a greater harm is being prevented. The question is, what harm?

I don’t see any scenario whereby men in women-face benefits the kids.  It brings big safeguarding risks too. 

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

That'd be taking Manface too far. Not even I stuff a cucumber down my trousers and sit with my legs apart. I don't know about anyone else on here though.

Only when I auditioned for Spinal Tap. If men wore a dress and some make up without parodying women, then it would be as normal as women wearing trousers.

34 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's not the point. If anyone here starts promoting it, ask them that question.

Meanwhile, (in case I haven't already mentioned it) Fascists and religious fundamentalists are harassing people who attend events where children's entertainers read children's stories to children and their families.  I think that's a bit shit.  You and Stronts seem to think it's OK: your response can be summed up as "well, they've got a point".  I struggle to imagine a scenario where that is an appropriate response to Fascist mob-raisers. I can only think that you believe that, by letting the bigots harass families, a greater harm is being prevented. The question is, what harm?

The whole idea of drag is harmful to young girls. It’s based on men laughing at women in a spiteful and hateful way than hiding behind a spurious defence of transphobia if anyone objects. Drag is not a celebration of women, it’s just hatred. How do you think the little girls in the audience feel when a powerful adult male is mocking their mum, them and their whole gender. Substitute race for gender and see if you feel as comfortable defending black face story tellers. If not, why not ? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Please name a modern day female celebrity whose act is based on dressing up as and caricaturing men in the same vein as David walliams, Lilly Savage etc. I’ll write a cheque to charity of your choice if you can name just one famous person who does this.

Wee Jimmy Krankie

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

While I understand your feeling like this, you can't live your life like that mate, the worry and stress will kill you.

I'm not stressed about it. Simple stuff really, keep your kids out of situations where they're alone with strangers. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

The whole idea of drag is harmful to young girls. It’s based on men laughing at women in a spiteful and hateful way than hiding behind a spurious defence of transphobia if anyone objects. Drag is not a celebration of women, it’s just hatred. How do you think the little girls in the audience feel when a powerful adult male is mocking their mum, them and their whole gender. Substitute race for gender and see if you feel as comfortable defending black face story tellers. If not, why not ? 

Drag has been going - and has been popular - for decades, if not centuries.  

Drag shows are massively popular with women; blackface minstrels are really not popular with black people. I think you need to resolve that conundrum before you make claims like these.

43 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think you're a little mixed up about who is conflating the two things here. Drag story time has been used consistently as a dog whistle by anti-trans campaigners for a while now.

It is a spurious connection, but not one that was made in defence of either.

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Drag has been going - and has been popular - for decades, if not centuries.  

Drag shows are massively popular with women; blackface minstrels are really not popular with black people. I think you need to resolve that conundrum before you make claims like these.

Well lots of wrong things have been popular for centuries so I’m not sure historical popularity is a good moral guide. Bear baiting was pretty popular for a long time. 

Secondly you assert without any objective evidence that “drag shows are massively popular with women”. I don’t think that’s true. At best, I think it’s tolerated but the main audience outside of pantomime has mainly been gay men. However if you have facts to prove that wrong then please say so.