You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Most disappointing signing

Section_31

Paul Ince for me, he's also my most hated but that's another thread(s).

The original 'missing link'. With Barnes in the middle we lacked a ball-winner, and Ince was probably the best midfield tackler in England if not the world in his prime.

Unfortunately though he turned out to be a shithouse. The Shane Vendrell to Roy Keane's Vic Mackey.

I thought he was already past his best when he arrived, so I wasn't that disappointed, as such, in how he performed. Litmanen, through no real fault of his own, was a very disappointing signing, because, even though he too was past his best, he still could have brought so much wit and guile to the team if used well and encouraged consistently.

Robbie Keane.

Said he'd be shit and he was.

Gerrard had just scored 20+ the previous season and had 20+ assissts and we bought this tit to play in his position.

Yo how can you be dissapointed if you knew he'd be shit? Thread fail!

Aquilani has got to be close. I remember watching and studying his debut as a sub at Tranmere for the reserves. I scrutinized his every pass. Subsequently, every time I watched him, I hoped to glimpse a sign that something special had arrived.

It hadn't.

Aquilani has got to be close. I remember watching and studying his debut as a sub at Tranmere for the reserves. I scrutinized his every pass. Subsequently, every time I watched him, I hoped to glimpse a sign that something special had arrived.

It hadn't.

I even made up this great ditty before I even saw him play (remember he was out for ages with an injury)...

His armband's a swastika in red. Aqi. Aqi

Work will make you free, he said. Aqi. Aqi.

We got the lad from Italy.

He has strong views politic-ally.

Aquilani - we've already pre-judged him.

Na na na na na...(repeat and fade).

The psychological scars still haven't faded. *sob*

Well he didn't disappoint, then! No one was disappointed by Paul Stewart, either.

I was certain he (Paul Stewart ) was going to be ace. Nigel Clough also looked to be a perfect Liverpool player. And he was....for about 4 matches + the 3-3 thriller against the mancs.

The most dissapointing signing in a "i dont want him here" kind of way was Julian Dicks. I never rated him, and to give them money, Mike Marsh ( who I liked ) and David Burrows ( a much better player than Dicks ) was a sad day for me.

I`ll go for two from each manager

Hodgson - Poulsen - Konchelsky

Rafa - Barry (joke) Keane or Aquilani (stupidity)

Houllier - Diouf - Diao

Evans - Dundee - Babb

Souness - Dicks - Stewart

picard_wtf.jpg

I'm going to start a thread called 'most disappointing health problem'.

if we're talking ones you were happy to sign but they then failed to deliver it is anyone of Kewell, Morientes, Keane or Cole for me

if we're talking signings that baffled me the main one has to be Brad Jones, okay he was never going to play but a sizeable fee for someone who couldn't get in the Middlesbrough team but thats Roy Hodgson for you, and also if we had have signed Carlton Cole for 20million, jesus christ

There's a few for me.

Jari Litmanen - He was criminally underused even if his best days were behind him and I really wish he'd had the impact that I'd hoped he would have when he signed him. A truly sublime footballer.

Stan Collymore - He literally had the world at his feet and fucked it up. He could have been a star.

Robbie Keane - I really thought he would have had an impact with us and scored goals, but he had the air of someone who thought he'd made it when he signed for us and he's been seriously damaged goods since.

Fernando Morientes - Similar to Litmanen in as much as his best days were probably behind him, but it just didn't work out for him and sometimes I just get the feeling that we never got the best out of him rather than him not being good enough.

I thought kewell was gona be a superstar for us, especially after he'd a good start, but was a disaster overall.

Aqualani is pound for pound the worst signing in our history.

Was anyone disappointed with Aqualani though? Everyone was saying he was a cripple.

Jason McAteer would be up there for me too, he was sensational at times for Bolton in centre mid but was pretty average for us as a wing back. New player ruined by being played out of position at Liverpool shocker.

Was anyone disappointed with Aqualani though? Everyone was saying he was a cripple.

Jason McAteer would be up there for me too, he was sensational at times for Bolton in centre mid but was pretty average for us as a wing back. New player ruined by being played out of position at Liverpool shocker.

Fair point on Aqualani he's just fuckin shit tbh and should never have been signed.

Morientes would have been a disappointing one, I always loved him at Real and Monaco and was delighted when we signed him .

I was most disappointed we signed him.

EDIT: Did that work? Did I cover my arse?

I think you did as I was going to ask the question if it meant the player that disappointed you most when we signed him or the one you had high hopes for but disappointed you?

Pennant in the first category as I knew he would be a nothing player and I really wanted us to sign Quaresma.

Personally I had high hopes for Mark Kennedy after reading loads of positives about him, Dean Saunders was another disappointment, the same goes for Ziege and Cheyrou.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2