You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson Mega Thread: The Sequel

Dicko

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was mentioned in the Echo that it's the lowest points total going into the new year for 57 years. While that strictly speaking is true, it's also somewhat inaccurate, in that it's not comparing like with like. Since in the days of Don Welsh's 1953-54 reign, there were only 2 points for a win. And so, the 6 points more that we've accumulated from the 6 games we've won should actually be knocked off to give a fair and proper like for like comparison. This leaves a mere 16 points going into the new year.

How much longer than 57 years does that compare to?

Guest davelfc

Liverpool have to sack Hodgson now

Pass and move, it's the Liverpool groove? Not any more. The Hodgson way is more hoof and pray. As endless long punts were hammered towards Fernando Torres and David Ngog during last night's defeat to Wolves, it became increasingly impossible to justify Roy Hodgson lasting at Anfield beyond the end of the week. Patience has its virtues, and chairmen can be trigger-happy, but it is hardly compulsory; Hodgson's time is up. He simply has to go. Forget about giving him extra time and the chance to dip into the transfer market in January. Trust has to be earned and Hodgson has failed. Liverpool are perched three points above the bottom three. Losing to Northampton Town, Blackpool and Wolves at Anfield in the space of six months, no matter what financial constraints Hodgson has had to work under, is a grotesque underachievement for a club of Liverpool's elevated standing.

For all his complaints about the situation he inherited from Rafael Benítez, Hodgson took over a squad containing Pepe Reina, Jamie Carragher, Javier Mascherano, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and Torres. Granted, he lost Mascherano to Barcelona but he also willingly parted with Alberto Aquilani, while bringing in the laughable pair of Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen. Although Liverpool were average last season, they still finished seventh. With the players at his disposal, Hodgson has introduced an ugly, negative route-one style, which last night saw the defence bypassing the midfield with alarming regularity.

These tactics might have sufficed at Fulham, but then Hodgson has often appeared dumbfounded by the level of expectation at Anfield. Not only is this approach unforgivable against Wolves, who were bottom of the table before the game and had amassed just one point on their travels all season, it is hopelessly misguided considering the players at Hodgson's disposal. Torres is not exactly Kevin Davies – he needs the ball played to feet or for him to run on to. He will never beat the likes of Christophe Berra in the air. Torres is a world-class striker being forced to operate like a lower-league journeyman, even if his form has been at that standard since the summer.

While Liverpool's players must take some responsibility too, clearly Hodgson has lost the dressing room, if he ever had it in the first place. Under Benítez, when Liverpool were losing games at Anfield, teams would brace themselves for the inevitable barrage as they defended their goal at the Kop End, waiting for Gerrard to pop up with a jaw-dropping equaliser. Last night there was nothing. With Wolves, whose sparky, attractive style of play belied their lowly position, required to do the bare minimum, dissent grew among the home supporters. Afterwards Hodgson was critical of the fans, questioning where the "famous support" had gone. He sounded like an away fan mocking a subdued home crowd about the lack of atmosphere. It almost appears as if he is getting his shots in early. Liverpool's supporters already disliked Hodgson. This will be seen as a step too far.

Five things we learned from watching the Premier League this week | Football | guardian.co.uk

Nice one Roy, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

I witness THE worst Liverpool performance I have ever seen in all my years at Anfield and you have the fuckin nerve to come out and slag the people who spend their cash in a recession just after Christmas on paying your fuckin wages, you obnoxious fuckin FRAUD of a manager.

Blame everyone but yourself as normal instead of facing up to it like a real man and accepting the consequence of YOUR actions, I was wrong your not an owl faced cunt, your a fuckin SPINELESS jellyfish cunt.

Now get the fuck out of our club, you've been found out you fuckin fraud.

Guest davelfc
I posted that on the previous page, Dave.

The writer has been slating him on twitter all morning.

Sorry, didn't see it.

Surely we're near the end of this Raynus Horribulus.

Guest davelfc

Ex-Red says manager may rue questioning fans' support

Phil Neal hits out at Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson: Shankly and Paisley would have been turning in their graves at pathetic Wolves defeat - Goal.com

Former Liverpool defender Phil Neal has delivered a scathing assessment of manager Roy Hodgson, insisting that Anfield's legendary bosses Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley would have been turning in their graves at the performance against Wolves.

The Reds lost 1-0 at home to Mick McCarthy's men on Wednesday night, with Hodgson hitting out at supporters after the match, claiming that he is now used to the "negativity" shown by the fans.

"Hodgson could rue saying those words about the fans, that they haven't backed him," Neal told talkSPORT.

"Against Wolves there was 90 minutes without a shot on goal, no pressure, and no excitement for the fans. And that's down to the players and down to Hodgson."

He added: "We couldn’t believe what we we were seeing. We didn’t put any pressure on Wolves. There was no cohesion and no-one looked as they were enjoying playing.

"We didn’t look a team and that’s the frightening thing.

"Shankly and Paisley would have been turning in their graves to see that pathetic team effort."

My rant was wasted on the locked thread:

I thought I would wait until today to post a full response to this as I would have a chance to calm down, but the opposite has happened. The more I think about it the more I have got angry.

First things first, Roy Hodgson can fuck off.

I have just had enough. I have for a while but this was the final drop in the bucket. After a performance like that to come out and accuse the fans of not supporting him is fucking disgraceful. It's a slap in the face.

You have had support, despite being completely unqualified for the position of Liverpool manager. You have waded in to a 3 year contract, being paid millions at one of the top clubs in world football because it was embroiled in an internal battle. You fucking chancer. You winged it. Yet the supporters gave you the backing you had done nothing to deserve.

So, how did you repay that? You criticized them for demonstrating against owners that were ripping the heart out of the club. You said that you hoped that you hadn't upset the manager of our most hated rivals by taking the job. Joke? Doesn't look that way. You then preside over one of the weakest derby performances in living memory and your response is that we were hard done to. You have constantly undermined players, spoken down our chances in matches. You talk as if you have inherited a bunch of spackers. This squad is good enough to be battling for a CL spot. Maybe not to win it, but who knows.

For all the talk of you being such a nice man, you strike me as a sour, self interested pillock. You think you deserve respect when you have done nothing to earn it. Its not like we are hard to get on your side. Obviously the performing the role adequately way of doing it was out of the question, but some sweet talking would be nice. I genuinely think the only reason you are bothered when we lose is how it reflects on your reputation. I wouldn't worry. Top be honest after 35 years of mediocrity, neither glory nor the abject shite you have dished up will alter your fucking beige average.

Now, the owners are in a tough situation as they don't even have a CEO and a new CEO will not want the first thing he has to do to be to fire the manager, so why don't you do the decent thing and walk away. I am sure they will pay you the rest of your contract on the sly.

Guest davelfc

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson insists players support him - but fans never have | Mail Online

Under-pressure Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson insists the backing he has had from the players and within the club itself makes up for his lack of support outside it.

The 63-year-old was the subject of fans' anger again in Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat at home to Barclays Premier League bottom side Wolves.

He had to endure the Kop singing the name of former player and manager Kenny Dalglish, a living legend at Anfield, and also ironic chants of "Hodgson for England".

Liverpool are now only three points above the relegation zone, where they spent a short spell earlier this season, and Hodgson knows it is likely to get worse before it gets better for him in terms of the situation with the fans.

Until it does, he accepts the criticism will continue to come his way.

"I have been lucky the support I have had has been from the players and within the club," he said.

"I haven't had a lot of support from the fans ever since I came here.

"The fans have not been happy with what they have seen in the whole of 2010 and since I came here we have not won enough games to keep them happy.

"That is understandable in the sense that they were hoping when I came here the latter part of last season would be forgotten and we would start flying again.

"That hasn't happened and as a result, as manager, you are the one in the firing line, but of course it doesn't make the job easier because it makes the players more nervous.

"I can only say as a manager you have to understand that fans care for their club and want it to do well and when it is not doing well they voice their disapproval.

"That is the way of football today. When you take on any job, especially a big job like this one, and results don't go the way people want - especially when you lose games at home - you are going to be a target for disapproval.

"I have to accept that and try to keep doing my job and try to improve things for the club and hoping that the results turn around.

"It is a vicious circle and in order to break it we have to start playing well and winning matches because if we don't they are going to reserve their support until such time as we can do it."

Despite the criticism coming his way, Hodgson is adamant he is the man to lead the club forward and suggested the players have to take some responsibility for the latest debacle.

Having had nearly three weeks without competitive action because of weather postponements the team could not complain about fatigue.

However, their lack of cohesion against Wolves could well have been down to that period of inactivity, although the Reds boss pointed out it was quality which was lacking.

"I think all bad results knock everyone's confidence but I think I can look [myself] in the mirror," said Hodgson.

"I am trying the best I can do and the group of players I put out there was probably the best XI, apart from Daniel Agger who has been injured long term.

"When I think about it had I chosen a different team which did not have a midfield of Dirk Kuyt, Lucas Leiva, Steven Gerrard and Raul Meireles, with Fernando Torres and David Ngog up front, I don't think things would have been different,

"I fear whatever team I chose the performance would have been the same and that showed when I made the three substitutions and it didn't alter the level of performance.

"I don't think there are many players happy with how they played. I put it down to it being a bad day for us."

I've seen him try to play that card a few times. The old "The team is fully behind me" card.

I really believe thats got to be bullshit. There is no fucking way that team is behind him. Maybe Konchesky and Poulsen. Maybe Carragher and Gerrard too.

But the rest of the team I really honestly doubt it. He said the same thing after he got sacked from Blackburn that the team were still behind him but I think I remember reading a few players criticised him after he left.

Wow. His comments again are shocking. Saying that is your best team bar Agger really gives Maxi some confidence considering he has been playing better than most in that team. How he sees a dire Kuyt on the left being better is beyond me.

How he doesn't see that Raul is quality in CM but useless out wide. Gerrard is better on the right or behind Torres and yet he doesn't see that either. He thinks just play your best 11 and slot them in wherever. What a joke!

Cole playing CM when he came on too. Why do some managers buy players and just think they can play them anywhere? Players go through a career trying to master a certain position, some are versatile and can adequately do several but most can't. Cole can play behind a striker and is useless used any other way. If you don't see him in that role then why get him. Same can be said for Raul. If you don't want to play him in CM then why buy him. It really pisses me off when managers do this.