You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ashes 2010/11

RobbieOR

Who will win the Ashes?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Ashes?

• Australia
    • England
    • Draw (England will thus retain the Ashes)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank fuck for Sydney weather.

Also couldn't believe this article in the paper comparing Clarke and Warne!!!!!!

Captain Michael Clarke a Shane Warne clone | Adelaide Now

MICHAEL Clarke will lead Australia in the imaginative and enthusiastic manner in which Shane Warne played his cricket.

Every ball will carry the tantalising possibility of a wicket. Every fieldsman, whenever remotely possible, will be placed in a catching position.

All of Warne's tactical nous, attacking instincts and limitless reserves of energy are bristling inside Clarke. He is Warne without the excess. He is the Test captain Warne never got to be.

"Warnie was a very aggressive captain," Clarke said on the eve of the fifth Ashes Test.

"I don't think I'm that aggressive, but I've learned from him on the field. I've learned a lot from him. He's a friend, first and foremost, but, especially when I was a young player, he's been a mentor.

"I've had a lot of guidance and help from a lot of people and I just hope that, come tomorrow, I can back myself, back my judgment, back my instincts.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

* Clarke does things his way The Daily Telegraph, 17 hours ago

* Old dog's influence strong on skipper Pup The Australian, 17 hours ago

* Clarke makes his mark as skipper Adelaide Now, 1 day ago

* Warnie single and ready to mingle Perth Now, 15 Dec 2010

* Why Warnie retired much too early Adelaide Now, 11 Dec 2010

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"That's what people have told me throughout my career, as a leader and vice-captain - to back my instincts and go with what I feel. Hopefully, I continue to do that.

"Warnie has helped me a lot with my cricket. I played under him at Hampshire and learnt a lot as a young player from what he did as a captain."

Clarke is Warne with a clean skin. He's Warne with Cricket Australia board approval.

Clarke spent the early stages of his career under Warne's wing and he was all ears. Defence has never been part of the brief.

Australia's one-day teams were electrifying under Warne and, like the great leg-spinner, Clarke has a feel for the game and its moods.

Clarke received his baggy green cap from Warne on his Test debut at Bangalore in 2004, but he admitted: "I can't remember a word that Warnie said.

"I apologised to him after the day's play. I said, 'Mate, you'll have to tell me what you said all over again because I was that nervous and that excited'.

"There were that many goose bumps and that much adrenaline running through my body that I actually didn't take in one word he said.

"I was just looking at the cap in his hands, thinking, 'Just give me that cap, just give me that cap'."

Like Warne, Clarke is an ideas man. He will be adventurous.

He is poles apart in personality and approach to his predecessors, Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting, but that does not make him inferior.

Talk about his popularity is a waste of time. His teammates respect his cricketing sense. They respect his credentials. Clarke is fully aware that a whole army of people think he's unworthy of the job. His response? To turn the other cheek.

Does that not already show a strength of leadership? And what does popularity have to do with leadership anyway?

Warne has always thought highly enough of Clarke to share all his cricketing beliefs with him. And if Warne talks him up, only fools will talk him down.

Not quite sure how to respond, especially to that bit in bold, nevermind Warne, Clarke isn't even Graham Yallop. He is an average cricketer with a great PR firm

Guest Pistonbroke

More cloud cover expected for day 2 with showers. Weather picking up after that with sunny days forecast. If they scratch about looking for runs tomorrow and we end up bowling them out for around 250 we should find ourselves batting in more favourable conditions. Get a decent score and then let Swann pick em off in their second innings.

If they are to get any sort of a big first innings score it is going to eat into the time and i'd favour the draw then.

I reckon the weather might even help our case here. A draw suits us much more than them, they'll be bent on the victory to avoid losing the series, so a bit of time lost could force them into being more adventurous with the bat - and therefore hasten the wickets. I'm going to predict a result in this one, even with time lost to rain. If we can shake either Hussey or Haddin loose early, it'll be set up beautifully and I trust the boys to earn the runs we need once the sun starts shining.

Guest TK-421
I'm also back at work tomorrow mate. Won't be up all night, but for a little bit.

Carlito. I heard of you, man.

You used to run smack

with Rolando, right?

Little bit.

Little bit? Little bit, that's a good one.

I heard you guys were the fucking kings.

First day back at work, major pisser, but I’m going to spend most of the day watching the Ashes updates. The rule seems to be for this series, if I go to the game then England win. So it might be a draw this one. If we can knock Hussey over quickly, then bowl the Aussies out for 250 odd, then that could change.

It was bloody freezing at the MCG on the 27th. We were miles up, although right behind the bowler’s arm which was good. Was the least eventful of the days as well, but can’t really complain as the result was sweet. Pat Cash was a bit further down our row. He looked knackered, must of been on the sauce big time on boxing day. His kid looked like a pob faced imbecile as well. Unlucky Pat.