You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don
Exactly. From his point of view why should he resign? If he hands in his resignation out of his own good will then he gets no pay off whatsoever.

If he waits until they sack him, or until they call him into the office and negotiate a mutual departure, then he gets a big fat golden handshake to say good bye.

If it was me and I had no affinity for the team I was managing and the supporters wanted me out I'd haggle for the wedge before I went. And I think most others would too.

Fuck me, even strachan had the honesty to walk with no pay off!

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy Hodgson: I am not resigning as Liverpool manager and I never will - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Hodgson: I am not resigning and I never will.

Liverpool relieved the pressure on their under-fire boss Roy Hodgson with a battling display in Naples last night.

And after watching with pride a committed performance from his young side to take an important Europa League point against Napoli, the Reds manager show fight of his own by insisting he would never consider quitting.

Hodgson has been swamped with rumours that he will walk out of Anfield because of the intense pressure produced by a poor start to the season, which has seen Liverpool slump into the bottom three.

There have even been suggestions that top Dutch coach Frank Rijkaard has been lined up as a replacement should the experienced coach decide he has had enough.

But Hodgson showed the same fight as his team when he emphatically dismissed suggestions he would quit, when he said:

"I have heard the ridiculous rumours about me resigning, and I can tell you there is not an iota of truth in any of them.

"The simple truth is that I have never considered resigning, and I never will."

Liverpool maintained their unbeaten run in Europe this season with a confident display, even though the absence of rested stars like Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres meant he fielded a youthful, inexperienced team.

Teenager Jonjo Shelvey made his first start for the club and impressed, and Hodgson insisted that his team showed the fight that suggests they are far from dead and buried despite their lowly league position.

And the Reds manager also argued that his side will now go into Sunday's must-win showdown with Blackburn at the weekend with the required confidence.

"We have shown tonight that we are far from dead as club coming here and doing this," he said.

"We have been going through a very bad passage. Things have not been going our way for a variety of reasons. We find ourselves at the bottom and we have to get away from there as quickly as possible.

"We have to feel we can start things going we can get things right and Sunday offers the perfect opportunity to do this. "I know the players will be chomping at the bit ready to run and fight and give everything and I hope we get that little bit of luck to get the result that helps us kick on.

"The good thing is that I haven't prejudiced that game by requiring players to play three games in a week, which could have compromise the intensity we will require for that game. We will go into it in much better shape now."

Hodgson was also at pains last night to praise the 1,000 strong travelling group of Liverpool fans, who were subjected to some horrific violence from Napoli ultras.

Six fans were hospitalised, and many were attacked with iron bars, baseball bats and even clubs with nails, and the Reds boss said:

"I was aware what was happening and I was concerned for our fans. The supporters have been fantastic - they knew they were coming to a potentially dangerous situation and all I can say how grateful we are for their support, and sympathetic we are and concerned at reports that several of them got attacked.

"We hope the reports are right that we have not had any serious injuries, and we hope everyone goes home safe and well. We don't want violence on the pitch or off and it and certainly not situations where supporters are getting injured before the game.

"Our fans deserve great credit for the way they have behaved. I find it faintly amusing when I should be forced before the game to defend Liverpool supporters against Italian journalists accusing them of drunken behaviour, when our peaceful supporters find themselves in hospital after being attacked by Italian fans".

Hodgson has been under intense pressure in the past fortnight, with embarrassing defeats at the hands of Blacpool and Everton adding to the speculation about his position.

That was heightened this week when Rijkaard, the former manager of Barcelona, was sacked by Galatasaray, leading to fresh speculation that he could replace the current Liverpool boss.

Yesterday, Rijkaard's agent Perry Overeem did little to cool that speculation when he made clear his client's interest in any vacant position at Anfield.

"Frank will return into football that is for sure. The question is when and where and that will not be answered now," Overeem said.

"It was only on Wednesday that the situation changed at Galatasaray and we are working on making sure that everything is sorted out there.

"We haven't been approached by anybody official (at Liverpool) yet and to me the current coach is still working with the support of Liverpool. Let us all wait and see what happens."

Hodgson knew his massive gamble last night would have backfired spectacularly had Liverpool lost in Naples, piling even more pressure on the result in Sunday's visit to Anfield of Blackburn.

But the control and confidence his young side showed against Napoli, even without Gerrard and Torres, will at least give him hope that he can produce the victory now required to ease the intense pressure that has been hanging over him.

Two banks of four and counter-attacking does work and will win trophies but experience says it has a shelf life of a few years.

We played this way under Ged and I'm astounded some want us to regress.

You're missing the point, mate. I agree that our style of football is horrible and won't win major trophies. But you can't then caveat that and say, 'regardless of results'. The results drive the rewards, I.e. good results = trophies, bad results = no trophies.

It"s like saying, ' I should never go to jail, regardless of my criminal record'.

I knew they were just rumours. The reason they got so big was because people were wishing more than normal.

Not that Hodgson completely deserves it but I'd love everyone to get behind him and the team for a few weeks. The Liverpool Way.

Get a few points on the board along with a bit of optimism. See where it takes us.

I knew they were just rumours. The reason they got so big was because people were wishing more than normal.

Not that Hodgson completely deserves it but I'd love everyone to get behind him and the team for a few weeks. The Liverpool Way.

Get a few points on the board along with a bit of optimism. See where it takes us.

Your real name is Roy Hodgson and I claim my prize

Fuck him and I hope he fucks off "The Liverpool Way" of sticking by managers will get us relegated if we continue to to be so deep and play with basically 7 men back because even our full-backs dont go forward, I know he didnt play tonight but even Johnson rarely crosses the half way line now we would have one a game like tonights when Rafa was here, he knew how to win ugly when it mattered, this tit knows how to draw 0-0 when it matters. If he gets us relegated or at best finishes 17th it wont matter to some people cos at least we did it "The Liverpool Way".

The Liverpool Way never included quietly accepted mediocrity and someone pissing all over our pass and move tradition while having a manc love in at every opportunity.

Roy, you've been about as bad since the season starts as anyone could possibly have been. You make Rafa's cautious ways look like Total Football!

Just go.

You're missing the point, mate. I agree that our style of football is horrible and won't win major trophies. But you can't then caveat that and say, 'regardless of results'. The results drive the rewards, I.e. good results = trophies, bad results = no trophies.

It"s like saying, ' I should never go to jail, regardless of my criminal record'.

So we just accept mediocrity for a few years so some can balance it with their 'Liverpool Way' conscience?

Roy was appointed at a time of strife and I refuse to beleive there was an exhaustive search. Imho it was a sham and they wanted a nodding donkey manager that would shut up and do as he was told.

Like others I feel bad wanting him to go but the club comes first. Rafa did some good work and I'd rather a progressive manager continue than one who wants to take us back to some archaic style of footy. If that's our ambition then it shames our history.

I'm sorry mate but that's all massively premature.

Firstly, to say that he has to go regardless of results is absolutely crazy. What if we win our next ten games?! Bizarre thing to say.

Secondly, how do we know that Reina and Torres don't want to play for him? Are you hearing rumours and just taking them as fact?

Not too dissimilar to what you and your mates bandied around last season about Rafa losing the dressing room...

Well if he actually would set us up to play higher up the pitch instead of parking ourselves in our fucking own box it would help.

We played higher up the pitch this evening than normal(not much though) and despite it being a half B team, we actually looked better. If he'd change the tactics to suit our strengths I'm almost certain we will get results.

But hes either too stupid or ignorant to do that. He might change over the next few weeks, push the players higher up the pitch and have them press the opposition and have Gerrard play off Nando. If he does that I reckon we could revive our fortunes.

It's interesting this - that statement is the first time I can remember him demonstrating that there might actually be something in his ballbag since the start of the season.

I'd have much rather he'd have showed a bit of fight after the game at Old Trafford when Demento was going on about Torres, or when he was commenting on speculation that Nando might be headed there, or maybe when talking about some of the awful shite we've served up so far this season, rather than saving it for when it's his own position that people are talking about, but if he's finally remembered that he's got a pair that can only be a good thing.

One of my concerns about him as a manager is that he does seem to be a genuinely nice bloke but unfortunately, the helm of a club whose fans want to be challenging for at least a top four place is probably not the best place for a nice bloke to be these days. Years ago maybe, although winners have always had a hard edge to them when it was needed, but not in this day and age.

You can get away with nice when your side is only expected to bat out a season in the lower mid-table positions, partly because you don't have to make as many critical, shit-or-bust decisions, partly because you don't have to endure the same degree of media attention and partly because you're not really on the radar of the likes of Demento and Wenger.

As soon as you step out of that comfort zone, you're putting yourself up there to be shot at and as a nice guy, I don't think Roy particularly likes being shot at. He's not used to it. Trouble is, it goes with the territory these days.

I had the distinct impression that he didn't want to tear into Slur when he made his comments about Torres after we played the mancs because of his friendship with the red-nosed old twat. To be honest, I wanted to fucking shake him after that, point out that the same issue clearly didn't bother Ferguson one iota and that no matter how matey they might be, he's the manager of LFC, Ferguson fucking hates us and had launched a completely bullshit attack on one of our players. That's not the time to think about what good pals you are; it's the time to tell the whisky-soaked old cunt to go and fuck himself with a stick, noting in the process that he might want to have a word with the kit man to make sure Nani's boots have some studs in next time he plays.

Same with the Torres transfer talk. Even if it's true that he might be off in January and will almost certainly go in the summer, I don't want to hear it given even a whiff of credibility by the manager. I want to hear:

"Fernando Torres is a Liverpool player, he has a contract to play for Liverpool Football Club, he is not for sale and even if he was for sale, I'd sell him to white slave traders before I sold him to Manchester United. Perhaps Mr Ferguson would be better employed focusing on the future of his own players before any more of them slip away from him."

Or something like that. If Torres does get sold and he ends up looking like a twat, so fucking what? You think Ferguson doesn't know he's making himself look like a twat when he comes out with his ludicrously one-eyed post match comments? Of course he does, but he's being paid well to do it - it's all a game, nothing more.

Still, although the off-pitch stuff is part and parcel of the game these days, it's still just the frosting on the cake. Roy's future at this club, or lack of one, will ultimately be determined by results. I can't shake the impression that he's a dead man walking myself but obviously I'd be delighted if he can turn things round and get us firing on the pitch. I don't see him ever playing the kind of free-flowing atacking football that we'd all like to see though because it just isn't his game - never has been, never will be.

If we don't like the football but are getting the results, there's at least a discussion to be had about whether he's the man for the job, one which would doubtless split us down the middle in the same way that the polarised debates about the last manager did. On the other hand, if we don't like the football and aren't getting the results either, the only question is at what point do we cut our losses?

Gav we tried that at the start of the season.

He is as far removed from the Liverpool Way as you can get.

He will take us nowhere.

It all depends what we want. If we want a club that challenges every year for a place in the Europa club alongside Villa, Everton, Stoke, Fulham (and hopefully MU) and gets to the QF of the FA cup now and again, has no major players selling shirts, is regarded in Asia as not worth the shirt. If so then we can get our glorious history DVDs from the club shop, sit back and wait for our records to be squashed by others and sing songs of greatness to players like Bobby Zamora.

If so then fine.

If on the other hand we wish to look down on MU, to be winners and to watch european football on a tue/wed with just three officials on a major channel. If it means names being linked with the club that bring genuine excitement and allow young children to go into school with pride with their heroes written on their textbooks, if it means not fearing games like Bolton away and crushing our neighbours on a regular basis with football that is worth the extortionate price we will be expected to pay then;

Choose differently

The choice is yours