You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are you a selective tightarse?

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

If something we use a lot is on half price offer like Margarine, rice, pasta, 4 ply comfy bum, jim beam etc etc which have a normal sell by date i buy tons of the stuff.

I spend too easily. I'm generous, especially to my kids who get far too much. I save next to nothing. Where I do struggle is spending any money on myself. I just can't do it without feeling massively guilty. I think it's a Mum thing. If my hair needs cutting, I'll always wait 2 or 3 weeks until I look like the wild woman of Borneo before I'll go to the hairdressers. Even buying a new lipstick makes me feel like a completely feckless, undeserving git. Something else I do is mentally equate every purchase to how long it took me to earn the same amount, and think 'I like that top, but it's a day's pay. Fuck that'.

I'm the same in that I hunt out the reduced stuff. But I can't stand 2 for 1 offers, I wish they'd just make the stuff half price instead. Sometimes getting 2 things is of no benefit as the second item will just go out of date or it just might not be needed.

I like 2 for 1's it's 3 for 2's I really take issue with, in fact don't even get me started.

If something we use a lot is on half price offer like Margarine, rice, pasta, 4 ply comfy bum, jim beam etc etc which have a normal sell by date i buy tons of the stuff.

I don't know what to say about that, I just can't find the right words, I need our Tom at a time like this.

I wouldn't say I'm a tightarse, but I am careful with what I spend. I've never had a credit card, never had a loan, only had my first overdraft facility a few months ago (the bank practically insisted upon it) and if anything that's made me even more careful about letting my bank account approach zero.

All this keeps me just slightly ahead of the game, which is a nice, comfortable, if slightly frugal, place to be.

Almost the same here, bit of a struggle with kids, mortgage, car finance etc, but I can't abide credit cards - they're a fucking curse!!

Had to pay the wife's off a couple of times, she won't have one now, even she thinks they're a pain in the arse!!

I'm the same in that I hunt out the reduced stuff. But I can't stand 2 for 1 offers, I wish they'd just make the stuff half price instead. Sometimes getting 2 things is of no benefit as the second item will just go out of date or it just might not be needed.

You gotta be smart, meat can be frozen, tinned goods can survive a nuclear winter and cleaning goods last for ages too. Stuff like yoghurts and milk is the shit that fucks you up.

Im pretty reckless with spending. On nights out I always seem to get Fast food before I come home. When I go into the Offy, no matter what the price is I always get the Premium lager instead of getting the cheap stuff like Tuborg or something like that.

Guest davelfc
Is there anything more crushing than doing a food shop, thinking you've scored some bargains and getting to the checkout and it still costing a mint?

Yes, discovering you didn't buy most of the things you actually went in for and then finding out the till has not applied some of the deal prices to the things you purchased.

I can go either way on this one. I'll spend some of my time rooting for bargains in the supermarket and making sure I get discount on Quidco but then I'll also buy a game for £10 more than it is in Asda because I can't be arsed going out of my way or don't want to give thirty quid to the cunts that are Wal-mart. I'm pretty generous with drinks and food and people being tight in social situations can really get on my tits.

Basically I'm a bit of an enigma, scrimping on beans on minute and then spending an extra £50 on something the next because I can't be arsed looking for anything cheaper.

I can go either way on this one. I'll spend some of my time rooting for bargains in the supermarket and making sure I get discount on Quidco but then I'll also buy a game for £10 more than it is in Asda because I can't be arsed going out of my way or don't want to give thirty quid to the cunts that are Wal-mart. I'm pretty generous with drinks and food and people being tight in social situations can really get on my tits.

Basically I'm a bit of an enigma, scrimping on beans on minute and then spending an extra £50 on something the next because I can't be arsed looking for anything cheaper.

See Monty if your weren't such a busy little bastard wanting to know the in's and out's of everything you'd have no opinion on wal-mart and could bag the cheap games, your own worst enemy you are.

Guest Pistonbroke
I did my grocery shop today, no cleaning and no toiletry products or the like. Just food, the veg/milk/bread will need topping up by tuesday. I'm £127.86 lighter.

Did ours yesterday and 116 Euro's lighter and we'll probably be at the shops again come Monday. At a rough guess i reckon we give out about 650-700 Euro a month out on household goods.

One things that fucks me off massively is paying to get in bars, shit bars at that. I don't mind if its decent in there.

In terms of being a tightarse, I don't mind spending money, but I refuse to spend money were I am blatantly being fleeced. Motorway service stations, sports grounds, airports being prime examples.

Apart from that I am pretty easy going.

No my biggest hate about tightarses, are those tight cunts who try and divert the attention on to others. Myself and Magic Sponge from here have a mate who is the master of this, owing money to all and sundry, ducking out of rounds, leeching on to people, etc.

Quite possibly the most unattractive quality a man can have is being a skinflint. also People who look at the price of meals in restaurants and base their decision on that rather than having what they want !! Also I have a friend who rings me on my mobile and she always seems to find an excuse to get me to call her back on her phone. I have always spent my money on whatever I wanted. Lifes for living and it's too short. When I got my professional qualification I treated myself to a 1C diamond ring from David M Robinson. That's probably the most extravagant thing I have bought, but then as the advert says I'm worth it ;-)

You do realise that 'it' is a swift axe wound to the clunge don't you?

Yep, on the flip side, coffee and beer are something I will never compromise in terms of the quality, even if it means paying more.

And a few have mentioned jeans and that is bang on. Jeans are jeans and I can only ever justify paying x amount ever.

And again, tight cunts who dodge out of paying a round OR fuck it all up by trying to work their bourbon and coke into a round of beers which just makes it shit for everyone else involved. Shits me to tears.

Went in some bar in town last night and the prices took the piss, £4 for a bottle of cider. I actually sat uncomfortably drinking it. I hate the feeling I'm being ripped off, and that's the issue for me, there's a difference between just paying a lot of money for something - and paying what you feel to be over the odds.

In general, I'm pretty free with my money in terms of buying people things or drinks and stuff, although that has left me largely skint. I'm actually thinking of going to work without my cashcard for the next couple of months, as the odd fiver here and there for a beer and a sandwich is really mounting up.

There are some things I will pay more for like coke can't stand pepsi or any of those nasty store brand colas, heinz baked beans, as cheaper brand have more sauce than beans, clothes middling buy mine from a mixture of places (including primark) as I take lunch in to work I can get the 2 for 1 offers on stuff that doesn't have a long life or can be frozen, money I save on that I can pay a bit extra for something else like shoes, Jeans I get from the catalogues as I'm short & most shops only stock them for people with legs up to their armpits most I've paid for jeans is £30. Bras I either go to La Senza or Primark as they are the only shops in which the size I take fits comfortably!

My friend brought a trouser suit she paid about £200 for it, partly lined, couple of days later I brought a similar suit fully line for £15, 7 yrs down the line I've still got my suit it's in good nick considering I've thrown it in the mashine machine numerous times over the years, her suit which was dry clean only lasted about 18 mths!