You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I want a crisis in football similiar to the banking one but with no bail out.

Anny Road

Fuck them all off. Stop going the game, stop paying sky and stop these nobheads earning 200k a week.

It's simple just stop having anything to do with footy for a couple of years and we will have our game back.

Because lets be honest this is going to end badly.

Its already imploded in the SPL, Celtic bidding for championship players, Rangers £40m+ in debt, Celtic getting hammered in the champions league by Braga, Hibs getting humped in the europa league. The SPL is like watching english division 4 every week.

Scottish football is fucked but that was always going to be the case. Outside the old firm it is dog shit. I've lived in Scotland for maybe 10 years or more and I can honestly say I have never watched 90 mins of any game. I don't care. and I have tried to get into it.

This football lark is going to go tits up soon. It is not sustainable. I am no paying Sky this year and quite rightly so.

Scottish football is fucked but that was always going to be the case. Outside the old firm it is dog shit. I've lived in Scotland for maybe 10 years or more and I can honestly say I have never watched 90 mins of any game. I don't care. and I have tried to get into it.

This football lark is going to go tits up soon. It is not sustainable. I am no paying Sky this year and quite rightly so.

I've Lived up here for 29 years and the only fixture I watch is celtic v rangers.

I've Lived up here for 29 years and the only fixture I watch is celtic v rangers.

Every other game consists of either this 83313055.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=6C4008C0FD9EB5A5C1AEE44D618E3897ECBD561BCFDF73A483DCBEFD57BBA905

or this

250px-Kickin_air_827.jpg

But of course, that type of game is not confined to the SPL. It's crept into the EPL too, as anyone who's watched Stoke play will agree.

But it's true and sad to see the way football has gone. 90% of it now is all about chasing the Euro, and 10% has to do with the ball. As someone who is opposed to having a new stadium, for the loss of our identity, and the crippingly high cost involved, it's sad that we've followed the lead of other clubs which has led us to the verge of administration. You only have to ask Arsenal, just how many trophies their shiny new glass box has helped them win.

For all the money in the game, and all the new stadiums, football remains a game where the primary objective is to put the ball in the net more times than your opponent every week, whether it's the World Cup or the Sunday League. Money never scored a goal or won a game, players and coach's do. The more you win on the pitch, the more money you make, not the other way around.

Edited by mypost

I've had enough now. I still support the club like but I've just fucked off going the match. I cant justify spending that amount of cash going the game anymore. So much about it puts me off. Went to a load last season up until Wolves away, that was me last game. Out of work now and learning to value money more, when I get graft again theres no way I'm parting with £40 odd quid to go and watch the footy, not a fucking chance.

I think my days of paying that much to go and watch the game are consigned to history. Breaking point reached for me and they can stick it. As someone above said, hope the arse falls out of it all and brings it back to us, the people.

Was going to stop posting for now but before I'm done : any owner backed by a SWF (sovereign wealth fund.) already signals the end unless the PL puts a stop to it. Most clubs will be backed by a certain government in the next 10 years or a government backed corporation and football will descend into politics and complete bullshit. Scudamore possibly has the power to change this, but he's such a stupid and greedy cunt that the chances are exactly 0.00%.

Accept the game changing, because it isn't going any other way when it's run by stupid cunts like Scudamore, Platini and Blatter.

It has been predicted for a while but the inevitable seems to be a long way away. Going Down - Football in Crisis by Simon Banks is a nice easy read about the economics of football, it has destroyed the lower leagues and will continue to creep up. The only way to save it would be to adopt the German model and I hope that Uefa start pushing that soon.

So you basically want everyone except Man City and Chelsea to go into administration? and those two to dominate the Premiership for the next 10 years

Man City seem to be over extended already. Spent too much last season.

The bottom line here, is that banks lend money and money makes the football world go around. Banks are now running on government bailout money, and governments can only do this for so long before we're back in the Waimer Republic with massive hyper-inflation.

It's just unsustainable. At some point there has to be a stop to the madness.

However, in the short term, if Liverpool has it's burden of debt removed, and a bigger stadium...then prices for season tickets can be flexible to suit pockets, great players can be bought and maybe entertaining Premiership winning football will be the result.

The Chinese are dumping U.S. Dollars before they become worthless...and it looks very much like lucky old LFC are in the sights of a chinese buyout of western assets.

Currencies are already hyper inflating....an example of this is local wages and prices here in NZ not to mention massive unemployment.

In the last 12 months:

cheese 1 kg was $4.99 now $12.99

butter 500 grams was $1.99 now $5.99

chicken up from $3.99 kg to $7.99 - 8.99 kg

I sold a house ten years ago for $50,000

Last week that house sold for $250,000...no improvments.

A doctor in Auckland Hospital now earns $300 an hour in A & E...up over 200% on roughly 3 yrs ago.

We are on the cusp of a brave new world..and football is insignificant.

It has been predicted for a while but the inevitable seems to be a long way away. Going Down - Football in Crisis by Simon Banks is a nice easy read about the economics of football, it has destroyed the lower leagues and will continue to creep up. The only way to save it would be to adopt the German model and I hope that Uefa start pushing that soon.

Every year the demise of football is predicted, yet never happens. Surely it's got to happen soon, it can't go on like this. Portsmouth should have been wound up, any other business would have been.

I too would like to see the German model over here, and rest of Europe, but there is no chance.

Every year the demise of football is predicted, yet never happens. Surely it's got to happen soon, it can't go on like this. Portsmouth should have been wound up, any other business would have been.

I too would like to see the German model over here, and rest of Europe, but there is no chance.

I would hope that Uefa have the bollocks to implement these rules, but it would be hard for them to do so. The book I have mentioned is very pessimistic and comes after the fall of ITV digital, but the author wasn't expecting the TV deals for the EPL to be as great as they were. They shocked quite a few people as they continued to rise.

I just think that the next TV deal won't be as juicy in real terms, and now we have clubs recently in the EPL looking at administration, there is a real possibility that the demise is here upon us.

Guest PurpleNose

Accept the game changing, because it isn't going any other way when it's run by stupid cunts like Scudamore, Platini and Blatter.

Scudamore and Platini couldn't possibly have more different views on how football should be.

Won't happen - the prem big clubs will get richer when they can screen their own games in other countries (which is why the Chinese are so interested right now) - we are too far down the road now. Problem is that Portsmouth are still a going concern, and until a really big clubs goes under and actually disappears, then people will think that there is no real problem.

Fuck them all off. Stop going the game, stop paying sky and stop these nobheads earning 200k a week.

It's simple just stop having anything to do with footy for a couple of years and we will have our game back.

Because lets be honest this is going to end badly.

I'd love it mate.

What happened in Germany for them to have such a fan friendly and efficient league?

I'd love it mate.

What happened in Germany for them to have such a fan friendly and efficient league?

The Bundesliga only started in the 1960's -prior to that it was regional leagues and far more amateur based. Most clubs are actually part of bigger "sports clubs" used by the wider community. To protect those facilities and keep them public the maximum share of the club which can be owned by an outsider is 49%. Due to this you cannot as easily make money out of the game in Germany....hence low admission prices, good crowds, local support etc.

German football resists foreign riches, for now

by: Soccerlens 21Oct

2008 The German Soccer League (DFL) confirmed last Thursday that the regulation preventing foreigners to possess majority shares in German clubs will remain in effect. The 50+1 rule (the first such ‘numbered’ rule to make sense) was voted on by the DFL, determining that Germans must own majority shares in Bundesliga clubs.

Reinhard Rauball, DFL President, stated at a press conference that the ’stability and continuity’ of the Bundesliga must be maintained to keep the competition fair. The German majority ownership rule has nothing to do with national pride and everything to do with preventing football from becoming divorced from it’s local and cultural roots and run purely as a business operation.

The rule stands regardless of opposition from some clubs. Martin Kind, president of Hanover 96, who aims to attract foreign investors, has said that more and more clubs wish to change the ruling. And the pressure will keep increasing as the Premier League races away with their takeovers, lucrative sponsorships and multi-billion dollar TV deals.

In order to change the regulation, two-thirds of the DFL members and the DFB, German football association, would have to approve it.

Read more: German football resists foreign riches, for now

German football resists foreign riches, for now

Edited by bigjohn
put in link