You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

The next ten years have just began. He isn't the best available manager, he isn't the best they interviewed and he's not even the best British manager(under any other circumstances, that would beg the question why is he being appointed - we all know why,though); but they have their man. What was vaguely clear, and to be fair there were others who saw it clearly, last summer has now become abundantly clear.

I like Roy Hodgson - why wouldn't I? He's clever, he's one of the very few willing to step outside the comfort of English football and he always conducts himself well - but that is secondary to the fact - and I welcome any correction on this point - that I have never, ever known Tom Hicks and Christian Purslow to be acting in the best interests of this club.

Repped best post on this thread by a milllion miles

Personally I think it's an experiment we're all interested in knowing the results of.

Mid-table mediocrity or just the fillip the team needs to build a new and unexpected dynasty?

Actually, when you put it like that...

but that is secondary to the fact - and I welcome any correction on this point - that I have never, ever known Tom Hicks and Christian Purslow to be acting in the best interests of this club.

There is no correction, you are spot on.

A signal of intent and a clear admission from the board.

Guest TK-421
Personally I think it's an experiment we're all interested in knowing the results of.

Quick, get that season ticket back!!

Mid-table mediocrity or just the fillip the team needs to build a new and unexpected dynasty?

Actually, when you put it like that...

It would be interesting if the appointment didn't signal that we aren't getting sold. Why would any ambitious buyer want Roy Hodgson here? 2 more years minimum under the Yanks I think.

What are his views on zonal marking ?

Anyway , a 2 year deal does suggest the yanks may seem to want to sell. Why not offer him a 4 year deal ? Thats been the norm for us hasn't it ?

He is fond of zonal marking.

Im glad its only a two year deal, can't really answer your question though.

This is depressing, you fucks who spent the season asking or rafa to go hang your head in shame, you contributed to this as you gave the owners an excuse to sack him, great idea giving these idiots to find us a new manager wasnt it?

We have gone for a guy who has been in management for something like 20 years or more and rafa has won stuff in a couple of years that eclipses this guys whole career.

His best achievement in years is getting fulham to a euro final and in rafas worst he got us to the semis.

His record in the transfer market makes rafa look like wenger, even at fulham where he has been hailed as a great success he has bought quite a few players who have hardly played or just been sent on loan.

Its great we got rid of rafa forget all these champs league semis most years its back to the good old days of shit football, shit players and hoping for 4th at best and a carling cup.

Depressing appointment. Roy's a sound fella but he will never take us to the top. For all his faults, Rafa made us a force in Europe once again. I really don't know what Roy is capable of achieving but I will be seriously shocked if he gets anywhere near Benitez's record at the club. Here's hoping he'll surprise us.

Well that's that out of the way then. I don't think Hicks or Gillett really give a fuck about the club now, and am wondering what 'assurances' they gave him, but they'll probably take the piss sooner rather than later. Maybe Roy can help see us through the period between now and the club being sold though, and he might even get things working a lot better than they've been recently.

Not sure what'll happen from here, but will support him. I feel for the Fulham fans though, have had their manager taken by people from our club that are clearly not acting in our best interests, and they really respected him.