You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What season? The one between the Keane sale and Johnson, Aquilani purchase?

He spent the money on them within 6 months of Keane going. He didn't spend it in January because "we don't need another striker, we have David Ngog".

He sold Keane, his choice and his choice not to replace him.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given his record on signings, I wouldn't have given him another penny never mind £34m. It was throwing good money after bad.

Managers make mistakes, especially when they're being undermined by the board.

It gets harder to redeem those mistakes, y'see.

He spent the money on them within 6 months of Keane going. He didn't spend it in January because "we don't need another striker, we have David Ngog".

I know when that money was spent. I also know that Keane was sold on January transfer deadline day. And also, I am aware of the fact that we only dropped 7 points from the 14 games that proceeded that date.

Inclusive in that was a 4 all home draw, not sure an extra striker would have made much difference that day. A 1 all home draw when we started Kuyt and Torres up top. Perhaps a new striker might have helped there but equally enough might not have. And the defeat at Boro. Probably would have helped there. N'Gog only appeared for 23 minutes in them 3 games.

The final fact in this post will be that we finished 4 points off winning the league. Not sure that a new shiny striker at that point would have been how we'd have won the league.

Perhaps you can shed light on what makes you think it would?

Managers make mistakes, especially when they're being undermined by the board.

It gets harder to redeem those mistakes, y'see.

You can't turn down 6 contract offers because you are demanding total control over transfers and then blame others for the players you signed after getting total control.

It's all so easy when you hate the guy isn't it? You don't need to start thinking about things like Keane instructing his agent to find him another club in November or whether the money from the sale was made available to Benitez at the time or was earmarked for an interest payment. And things like us making a profit in each of the last 6 or so transfer windows.

So we spent £17m on a man who was described as "made of crystal" by his previous manger and another £17m on a full-back who can't defend and has subsequently lost his place to a player already at the club.

As I said, the money was there the choices were wrong.

So it was just a coincident that both those players came from clubs that owed us money from previous deals ?

You can't turn down 6 contract offers because you are demanding total control over transfers and then blame others for the players you signed after getting total control.

'Total control' means fuck all when there's no money being invested in the team.

So we spent £17m on a man who was described as "made of crystal" by his previous manger and another £17m on a full-back who can't defend and has subsequently lost his place to a player already at the club.

The money wasnt there. He bought them players thinking he had enough money to buy a striker until the money was pulled.

Well lets let him have a chance at least....He is ok for now.

Most of his appearances this season have been in the Europa League and he has sadly looked out of his depth. I am desperate for us to win that competition this season and for us to have any chance I think we need the likes of Carroll and Gerrard fully fit and playing asap.

Hermes is spot on, how anyone can defend Rafa`s priorities in the transfer market the last few years and do it with a straight face is truly amazing.

I think Ngog could do with going out on loan to a championship team or somewere in Scotland Rangers or Celtic maybe shit leagues i know but he would find the net regular at that level and maybe gain the confidence to come back and do it at the top level for us, if after a year on loan he continues to struggle then sell him he's 21 and needs to play week in week out at the moment imo hes not good enough to do that at Liverpool.

I think Ngog could do with going out on loan to a championship team or somewere in Scotland Rangers or Celtic maybe shit leagues i know but he would find the net regular at that level and maybe gain the confidence to come back and do it at the top level for us, if after a year on loan he continues to struggle then sell him he's 21 and needs to play week in week out at the moment imo hes not good enough to do that at Liverpool.

The problem is, that's his level.

Most of his appearances this season have been in the Europa League and he has sadly looked out of his depth. I am desperate for us to win that competition this season and for us to have any chance I think we need the likes of Carroll and Gerrard fully fit and playing asap.

Isn't he our top scorer in the competition? He was poor in both games against Sparta but his goals helped us get this far.

Brian Reade was talking a fair bit of sense about the lad on LFC Now. Basically saying at some point he's gotta make the move from being classed as a youngster to being a member of the squad. Also, that even though his strength ain't great he always got himself in position to make balls upto him work in our favour but he massively lacked in that in the two games against Sparta Prague.

He's an alright player that probably identified the financial troubles we had more than anything but I can't see him being an option for us beyond the end of the season. That said, bemoaning him and calling him shite etc at the ground won't do him or us any good.

I believe this is Ngog's 3rd season with our club, and I don't reckon it's unreasonable to see some signs of improvement from him in that time.

Has Ngog improved his game at all in that time ?

I honestly don't think so, and the lad has been given far more opportunities to show his stuff than most of his ressie peers.

He's had his chances. Not good enough.