You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we had won in Athens NO ONE would question Rafa

Jens

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But, Rafa picked Zenden and Pennant, and we didn't win...

It was also the day that Peter Crouch - who was on fire at that point of the season - realised the manager had no faith in him.

Pennant was our best player that night.

Agree with the Crouch bit. The Italians were shitting themselves and we handed it to them on a plate by not playing Crouch until the last few minutes.

Moronic decision to play Kuyt up front on his own against a team with the rolling stones at the back. We did well to get there but then fucked it up. Besides even if he won Rafa would still be questioned as it is the league on which you are rightly judged on, not cup competitions.

Taken us apart but we won.

We where a better team in Athens than Istanbul and Milan were the reverse.

They were there for the taking.

We did win, but there's a reason that games like Istanbul are once in a lifetime.

I'd agree he made mistakes in Athens, and I'd also agree we should have won. I do think there was a need to try avoid the mistakes made in 2005 though.

Taking Maschernao off was a strange one as well. It just gave Kaka the freedom to play freely in the space between defence and midfield and allowed him to set up Inzaghi's second.

Quite a few bad decisions that day.

To be fair we were behind so its natural to take a holding player for an attacker.

We did win, but there's a reason that games like Istanbul are once in a lifetime.

I'd agree he made mistakes in Athens, and I'd also agree we should have won. I do think there was a need to try avoid the mistakes made in 2005 though.

Couldn't agree more. He should have sent Crouch on ages before he actually did though.

It is actually one of the biggest problems with Rafa I think - he does his analysis on the opposition and decides on tactics BEFORE the game but he hardly changes things during a game even if his analysis about the opposition were wrong.

I had a real bad feeling before the Athens final, I was sure they will be looking for revenge and be all over us but after 20 mins, I was convinced they were slow, shit and were there for the taking.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
kneel_before_zod.jpg

No one would question Rafa.

Dear God......

Always knew Terence would win in the end, who's laughing now eh Christopher?

A clue you say?

Not you

Because your dead

Ha

Guest the boy
Taken us apart but we won.

We where a better team in Athens than Istanbul and Milan were the reverse.

They were there for the taking.

Do you care to listen to yourself?

What right did we even have to be in Athens and Istanbul? What right did we have to be battling into extra time in another semi? In every one of those seasons we had both a squad AND team worse than a dozen around us in that competition. Benitez alone carried us to those finals.

Besides even if he won Rafa would still be questioned as it is the league on which you are rightly judged on, not cup competitions.

And those such as yourself would continue to place irrational expectations upon him. To perform to the level of managers lauded by our own fans as 'special ones' or the greatest ever with a squad a fraction of the price, with a club in turmoil. Yet season on season, this apart so far, he's got closer to them. Yet you'd fuck him off at the slightest change in fortune!

Guest the boy
Do you listen to yourself?

would any other manager in the world, any, have had the remotest chance of making two European Cup finals in three seasons surpassing Juve, Barca, Milan, Chelsea, Inter et al, with that squad?

The great Mourinho, the answer to all our woes, who'll come here and from a position completely alien to any club he's ever been at win us the league, outwitted in three successive semi finals. Against a team dwarfed by his own.

What I wonder is, when those call for O'Neil, Hodgson, you know, those sorts of names which we're most likely to attract, are they prepared for us to go out at the group stages, or last 16, more often than not?

Using Europe as a stick to beat Benitez with doesn't even begin to beggar belief.

Do you care to listen to yourself?

What right did we even have to be in Athens and Istanbul? What right did we have to be battling into extra time in another semi? In every one of those seasons we had both a squad AND team worse than a dozen around us in that competition. Benitez alone carried us to those finals.

And those such as yourself would continue to place irrational expectations upon him. To perform to the level of managers lauded by our own fans as 'special ones' or the greatest ever with a squad a fraction of the price, with a club in turmoil. Yet season on season, this apart so far, he's got closer to them. Yet you'd fuck him off at the slightest change in fortune!

Surely not even you are this stupid?

Couldn't agree more. He should have sent Crouch on ages before he actually did though.

It is actually one of the biggest problems with Rafa I think - he does his analysis on the opposition and decides on tactics BEFORE the game but he hardly changes things during a game even if his analysis about the opposition were wrong.

I had a real bad feeling before the Athens final, I was sure they will be looking for revenge and be all over us but after 20 mins, I was convinced they were slow, shit and were there for the taking.

yep - even the lucky Inzaghi goal did not dent my belief at the bar at half time

2nd half we didn't make the right changes and we fucked up

The decision not to start Crouch still baffles me to this day.

Bellamy should also have come on for the last 15-20 mins as well.

Gerrard was also not as accomplished in the ,now aptly titled, "Gerrard role" as he is today. Bellamy should definitly have been on, the Milan defence were having trouble with the slowest fastest player I've ever seen.

Bringing up Athens to defend Rafa is strange at best.