You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Positive Thinking

T0RRES

Szoboszlai - I'm generally all for it. 

He's a serious talent who is already good enough to be a squad player. 

I don't understand why we are pursuing these attcking midfielders though, especially when its our workhorses that are in decline. 

I hope there is a plan. 

Assume Szmith signs, do we think this is the end of the Thuram interest?

Both of them play a more advanced role. Szmith is more used to pressing and the hard work as Leipzig have similar ethos as we do (I’ve read Thuram does seem to sprint back as hard as he sprints forward!). 

If we sign Szmith and Thuram, that’s our non-homegrown quota full, so if we going for a centre back, they’d need to meet the homegrown quota. 

Would the Lavia chat make more sense now? U21 and will be classed as home grown when he’s 22. Maybe wouldn’t come straight into the side but he’d certainly light a fire under Fabinho and should be his eventual replacement.

That would then allow a defensive recruit from abroad. 

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Assume Szmith signs, do we think this is the end of the Thuram interest?

Both of them play a more advanced role. Szmith is more used to pressing and the hard work as Leipzig have similar ethos as we do (I’ve read Thuram does seem to sprint back as hard as he sprints forward!). 

If we sign Szmith and Thuram, that’s our non-homegrown quota full, so if we going for a centre back, they’d need to meet the homegrown quota. 

Would the Lavia chat make more sense now? U21 and will be classed as home grown when he’s 22. Maybe wouldn’t come straight into the side but he’d certainly light a fire under Fabinho and should be his eventual replacement.

That would then allow a defensive recruit from abroad. 

Lavia would make more sense for the HG quota but im not sure the outlay is something we'd pay, also see we are being linked with Colwill again, so maybe we are after a HG CB, who knows though.

29 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

Lavia would make more sense for the HG quota but im not sure the outlay is something we'd pay, also see we are being linked with Colwill again, so maybe we are after a HG CB, who knows though.

I assume the outlay for Lavia is similar to what Thuram is - £40m-£50m. 

I’m sure we could loan Southampton some players to sweeten the deal as well (Morton, Gordon, Doak, Phillips, van den Berg etc etc etc).

I also saw the stories on Colwill. I saw somewhere say Chelsea want a world record fee! He won’t be coming to us if that’s the case. 

I guess we’ll see. Assuming Szmith goes through, it still might be Thuram. It would have to be a homegrown defender then, not sure who though? I wasn’t convinced by that lad who played for the Dutch U21’s, I don’t know anything of the Benfica and Sporting defenders we’ve been linked with. 

24 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

A lot of the main German footy people (Sky Germany, etc) now reporting the deal is done.  

Amazing what a little patience brings…

If Thuram or Lavia sign next, posters can’t complain. No doubt they will…

19 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Can't see us going for Lavia now. I reckon the third midfielder - assuming there is one - will be a bit more of an opportunistic signing after we've shifted a couple of players and signed a CB. 

Be interesting to see if we go for Inacio, as he's supposed to have a release clause too.

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Can't see us going for Lavia now. I reckon the third midfielder - assuming there is one - will be a bit more of an opportunistic signing after we've shifted a couple of players and signed a CB. 

Be interesting to see if we go for Inacio, as he's supposed to have a release clause too.

Obviously we don’t know how far funds will go, I’ve put above why I think it might be Lavia. 

Yes, read that on Inacio myself. £35m release clause?

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

And let’s not forget that less that 24 hours ago Sky were telling us that Liverpool were under extreme financial constraints, which of course set off the hysterical fannys again because they want to believe everything negative and nothing positive. 

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1674493609167429632?s=61&t=t2sDDpzDa-ffFKaLZ_pMkQ

Its amazing how just acting like grown ups and having a little patience can not make you look like a fool spouting about how we’ll only sign one player, etc. 

But I’ll take the high ground…. Ok, I may have failed at that in this case. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, aws said:

I think a defender is more likely than another midfielder. Eight plus Trent ought to be enough particularly as two sick-notes have been replaced. 

Think I agree. We’ll see. I think it could go either way next. 

The emergence of Bajectic and re-emergence of Jones in the 2nd half of last season might have lessened the need for another midfielder. 

My preference would be a defender and another midfielder. 

25 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

And let’s not forget that less that 24 hours ago Sky were telling us that Liverpool were under extreme financial constraints, which of course set off the hysterical fannys again because they want to believe everything negative and nothing positive. 

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1674493609167429632?s=61&t=t2sDDpzDa-ffFKaLZ_pMkQ

Its amazing how just acting like grown ups and having a little patience can not make you look like a fool spouting about how we’ll only sign one player, etc. 

But I’ll take the high ground…. Ok, I may have failed at that in this case. 

Yeah, I saw the video yesterday on Twitter. I dare not look in the transfer thread after that - Human Centipede 3 had 500 links, I can’t think how many that thread last night. 

Anyway, the little I know about Szobo I like. I have a good feeling. Let’s hope it works out that way.