You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dunmanway - Liverpool FC

DJLJ

Most likely for the Irish reds:

| Irish Examiner.

Kop this –Pool to take on West Cork’s best

By Sean O’Riordan

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

IT pays to think big – just ask members of a small, rural soccer club who have landed a match against Liverpool.

Dunmanway Town XI player David Hall simply called Anfield six weeks ago and asked would the men in red like to travel to west Cork for a game.

"I had my reservations when he did it. We have no association with the club and I honestly thought they’d ignore us," club manager John Buckley said.

"Now we’re just over the moon."

Liverpool won’t be sending Steven Gerrard or Fernando Torres but have promised to field a squad which could include Dutch internationals Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel as well as French under-21 David Ngog and Daniel Agger.

The David v Goliath clash will take place at 2pm on August 6, but not on the Dunmanway club’s pitch. "We simply wouldn’t have the space. We’re hoping to attract up to 3,000 fans, so we will be staging the match at Maria Immaculata Community College, in Dunmanway," Mr Buckley said.

Liverpool club secretary, Ian Silvester, confirmed yesterday they had accepted the invitation and will fly into Cork the night before the game.

"In its decision to hold this game Liverpool FC, who are aware of their enormous fan base in the region, are bringing a taste of the Premier League to all their fans in west Cork," Mr Buckley said.

The club were runners up in the West Cork Premier League last season. But they won’t be able to match Liverpool’s firepower.

"We are hoping to draft in a couple of League of Ireland players so we can make a game of it. Liverpool are aware of our intention and have no problem with it," Mr Buckley said.

Tickets will cost €20 for adults and €10 for children and senior citizens.

The club, which has around 300 members, will use the money raised to further develop its pitches and purchase new equipment.

It’s unlikely that any fans will travel over from the Kop but then Liverpool needn’t worry as there are thousands of their supporters in Cork who will no doubt be clamouring for tickets.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, June 24, 2009

| Irish Examiner

deadly i think i will head down if i can get a ticket is july 1st first the genral sale date.
I'd reckon stick your name down on the list with your details. I was talking to one of the lads involved last night and there is massive interest in this.

Apparently 26,000 people are looking for tickets:

Tiny club tackles Liverpool ticket frenzy

By Sean O’Riordan

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

KOP this – a tiny soccer club has received more than 26,000 requests for tickets for a match against one of the biggest teams in the world.

Since news broke that Liverpool FC had agreed to play an amateur side in West Cork, the club’s phones have been swamped.

Such has been the response that Dunmanway Town are in talks with the FAI to double the amount of fans it can accommodate for the August 6 clash.

Initially, the club limited tickets to 3,000 for the game, to be played at Dunmanway’s Maria Immaculata Community College.

However, demand from both sides of the water has been such that the club now hopes to double the gate.

Dunmanway player David Hall – who was the first to contact the Merseysiders looking for a game – said that his club is looking at building a temporary 5,000-seater stand, with space for another 1,000 fans standing.

"For the last six months I’ve been negotiating quite heavily with Liverpool. Previously they weren’t interested in getting their own ticket allocation, but they now want 10% because of the level of interest over there. They have been inundated with requests. We have had calls ourselves from people living in London and Liverpool," Mr Hall said.

The club and FAI officials will meet next Friday to carry out a security assessment on the temporary stand. "The FAI’s director of football, Gerry McDermott, and their safety director, Declan McCluskey, have been very good to us. We will be trying to fit in as many fans into the site as safely as possible," he said.

The club were offered the use of Turner’s Cross in Cork city for the match, but they declined.

Mr Hall said everybody in the town was behind the project. B&Bs and hotels in a 50km radius were filling up fast, he said. "We will require up to 60 security guards on the day. The local GAA club has offered to assist us by providing voluntary stewards."

The club are also hoping to set up a tented village for fans in the town centre.

It is expected that tickets will go on sale on Saturday, July 11, in Cork, Clonakilty, Dunmanway and Bantry.

Liverpool have promised to field a squad that could include Dutch internationals Dirk Kuyt and Ryan Babel as well as other first-team players such as Daniel Agger.

They'll be no fortune. Turners Cross only holds 7500 once everyone has there slice it wont be much left over. Also would 7500 turn up to what will be practically a reserve of the reserve team? The interest is generated by it being a small town's pub team playing in there own town against Liverpool,not a League of Ireland mix playing Liverpool reserves.....besides I have two tickets set aside for me:whistle:

They'll be no fortune. Turners Cross only holds 7500 once everyone has there slice it wont be much left over. Also would 7500 turn up to what will be practically a reserve of the reserve team? The interest is generated by it being a small town's pub team playing in there own town against Liverpool,not a League of Ireland mix playing Liverpool reserves.....besides I have two tickets set aside for me:whistle:

Its still a lot of money for a team of that size and hopefully it will partly facilitate some redevelopment work. Its also mentioned that Bable, Kuyt, Ngog and Agger will play. We could also see the likes of spearing, Darby & Pacheco. Also, if the Revenue have their way Turners cross could be vacant at that stage!

Its still a lot of money for a team of that size and hopefully it will partly facilitate some redevelopment work. Its also mentioned that Bable, Kuyt, Ngog and Agger will play. We could also see the likes of spearing, Darby & Pacheco. Also, if the Revenue have their way Turners cross could be vacant at that stage!

The first team are playing FC Lynn in Norway the 5th Aug. One day before the Dunmanway game. Plus the Madrid game is on the following Saturday I can't see these top players being pulled away from the first team squad for a jolly to Ireland . Just a bit of added jazz by the papers me thinks.

Its weird but the club seems receptive to these requests. A few years ago, a 10 year old lad was on a flight with Ged and asked if he'd send Liverpool to play Fleetwood Town who weren't even in the conference north.

Ged agreed and the rest is history as they say.

Tickets not going on sale today. Here is the text of the email I received from the organiser:

As you can imagine demand for these tickets is extremely high which has led

us to revise our initial planned capacity of 3000 persons at the MICC in

Dunmanway. Due to this tickets will now not be going on sale on the 1st Of

July 2009.

In response to this increased demand we have decided to increase the

capacity of the ground to cater for over 5000 people and as a result of

this change in capacity further security and safety assessments require

completion before tickets can go on sale.

The website is currently being updated and will continue to be updated at

6pm daily to provide further information with regards to Ticket outlets,

costs and availability.

I thank you for your patience and we hope to provide an update soon