You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MICHAEL OWEN BROCHURE

Guest simon

aye he was stupid to go there, Camacho managed him in the 04 part of 04/05 but wasnt there long, MO was never going to get in over Raul and Ronaldo though, bad decision making he could have had any club he wanted back then, Barcelona signed Eto'o the day Madrid signed Owen, similar ages but back then im sure Barca would have preffered Owen, shows how times change

There's quite a bit in Carra's book about it which sheds a fair bit of light.It was nothing to do with Robinho and Baptista that's for sure. Coincidently Capello was the manager then. As for the family part I've been through it twice, the first time when I moved to SA and the second time when I took the family back to the UK. The second time was just too stressful for all so I can empathise with MO. The brochure though is embarrassing.

Yes, from Owen's perspective I imagine. Luxemburgo was manager by the way, Capello arrived about a year later.

Call me harsh, but I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for a multi-millionaires family struggling to settle in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Yes, from Owen's perspective I imagine. Luxemburgo was manager by the way, Capello arrived about a year later.

Call me harsh, but I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for a multi-millionaires family struggling to settle in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

No, I would guess from Carra's perspective. My take on that is Carra probably had more of a handle on it than you or I.

As for the second point you don't have to have sympathy but it was one of the factors involved in him coming back to the UK. In hinsight the move to Madrid and the Geordies was a serious error of judgement.

I think you have to look at what happened about the time Owen left

1) We changed managers the old Manager had agreed a deal for a new striker to sign for the club

2) The new manager wanted to bring in his own players

3) Owen was up for a new contract

4) We had no fucking money for all of these things to happen

something had to give and I believe that something was M Owen When Madrid came calling with £8m I believe we had tried to get out of the deal for Cisse but couldn't so the sale of Owen then made the best of a bad lot and allowed Rafa to sign Alonso

No I don’t know if any of the above is fact but as a fan reading between the lines is how I have interpreted what went on

Madrid isn't a beautiful city.

This, I could actually see happening:

Hull City boss Phil Brown confirms Michael Owen interest - Transfers - ESPN Soccernet

Hull City boss Phil Brown has confirmed he is interested in signing Newcastle United striker Michael Owen.

The former England international's contract with the Magpies expires at the end of the month and the 29-year-old is looking for a move back to the Premier League following Newcastle's relegation to the Championship.

Numerous clubs, including Everton, have been linked with the former Real Madrid striker, but Hull are one of the first clubs to go public with their pursuit of Owen.

Tigers boss Brown told the Hull Daily Mail: "It's something that has been sounded out as a possibility, but, as yet, there has been no offer put to Michael.

"He has got a proven track record as a goalscorer and that's an area we are keen to strengthen, but it would have to be on the right terms."

The 'right terms' Brown refers to is thought to be Owen's wage demands. The injury-troubled forward currently earns around £100,000-a-week at St James's Park, but he would have to dramatically reduce his pay packet to secure a move to the KC Stadium.

The Tigers, who avoided relegation by a single point last season, are eager to boost their striking options and former Livperpool star Owen could form a new partnership with England U-21 forward Fraizer Campbell as the club have already agreed a £6m fee with Manchester United to sign the youngster.

I really dont like Owen after what went on but id offer him a claused up contract and let him know he wont be first choice, if he doesnt take it then fuck him. Id seriously doubt he'd go to Hull, and why the fuck are they even attempting to sign him, chances are he'd be on a fortune with them and probably miss half their games, could they afford the drain on the squad and finances? daft signing.

I really dont like Owen after what went on but id offer him a claused up contract and let him know he wont be first choice, if he doesnt take it then fuck him. Id seriously doubt he'd go to Hull, and why the fuck are they even attempting to sign him, chances are he'd be on a fortune with them and probably miss half their games, could they afford the drain on the squad and finances? daft signing.

I suppose they might (quite correctly) feel that Mr Owen's options are considerably more limited than he – or his brochure-producing management company – might like to think they are. The way he's talking is as if Real, Barca, Milan and Inter are all falling over each other as they scrabble to get their chequebooks out. Get real, Mike.

If Hull could get him on a free and pay him 25k a week, which I would think is a distinct possibility, he might well represent value for money for them.

If Hull could get him on a free and pay him 25k a week, which I would think is a distinct possibility, he might well represent value for money for them.

£25k a week and he has to duet with Brown on karaoke nights.

I really, really don't get the "clean and fresh" bit. Just what is it supposed to imply? That he showers regularly?

That his clean-cut image would be suitable for marketing purposes.

They could have summarised the whole booklet with an A4 flyer that said "Michael Owen - honestly he's not broken, he's free and he can sell all your shit for you. Oh, go on. Please."

• 8 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...