You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So, 18-all: how arsed are you?

Paul

18-18: how do you feel?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. 18-18: how do you feel?

• Gutted - it was sweet as fuck to hold over them and now it's gone.
    • Not arsed - we need to live in the here and now and we're and it's game on for next season.
    • Shame it's gone, but snatching it back next season will more than compensate.

Obviously it's not great that they've caught us up, but I'm surprisingly OK about it. First of all there's no arguing with their superiority over the catch-up period: they've been largely superb and we've been largely shite and you can't quibble with that. That said, the same two things would be more galling if we hadn't had such a credible campaign this season, showing that we are unequivocally serious challengers from now on. I'm not too sure whether I'll be feeling as relaxed about things if there's a similar outcome next season, but for now I feel more like the bar's been raised just as we've got a new-found spring in our step. What say y'all?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to force Ferguson into retirement by winning the next few years. It'll mean more now.

Agreed. That would be the best scenario, win the league and CL in the next 2 seasons, send Ferguson into a retirement with us back on top :yes:

More hungover than anything else but I didn't know they'd won it 'till I saw this thread. Given that football does not end tomorrow, I can say that their equalling out haul bothers me however us not winning the league for 19 years is starting to piss me off.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Not half as much as I thought I would be, but it's still early.

Possibly because they went on a fantastic run to take the title as opposed to us bottling it.

It's also strangely comforting to see the with thier "18 times and thats a fact" banners.

Melancholy is possibly the correct term for it

Don't get too wound up much by stats , and am already champing at the bit for the start of next season.

I don't feel massively confident about next season simply because Rafa is so unpredictable, in my opinion. However, the reason my disappointment is not as intense as I expected is because I now know we are good enough to go all the way and that has not been the case for almost twenty years. When you look at it like that, it softens the blow somewhat - it's taken them twenty years just to pull level.

Too much emphasis has been placed by both us and the media on "18" each year is a new challenge and while I am extremely proud of our history I have never felt the need to shove it down everyone's throat ever 5 seconds as some people do, nor have I needed to use it to win arguements like some alamo of the ignorant.

Of course I want us to remain the most succesful team in England but the reason is not so I can sing about how "we won it 5 times" or tell everyone about our 18 league titles, it is so we can add to our illustrious history and enjoy each moment as it happens.

Bragging rights is one thing but we should never lose sight of why we really follow our team and why it means so much for us to compete every season.

Not half as much as I thought I would be, but it's still early.

Possibly because they went on a fantastic run to take the title as opposed to us bottling it.

It's also strangely comforting to see the with thier "18 times and thats a fact" banners.

Melancholy is possibly the correct term for it

Actually, that's a very good point. We've got at least a year of gloating to contend with - and not just from them either.

showing that we are unequivocally serious challengers from now on.

I'm worried that many are assuming that just because we got close this time, we're automatically going to do it next year. Arsenal won't be as bad again, and if the Chelsea intake of manager and players gels quickly they'll certainly be a threat. It would be a particularly dangerous assumption for the players to make.

That said, we've good reason to be optimistic for next year.

I'm devastated and feel like crying.

I'm encouraged by how well we've played in the last couple of months, but that means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. You don't win anything for progress, as 2006 showed us.

I've just had a text off a Manc season ticket holder which said:

Could easily have been different if Torres and Stevie G had been fit all season

I think that shows how well we've done this season but I repeat, that means nothing in the grand scheme. There's no guarantees about next season other than the fact that if we don't do it, we'll actually be behind them in the grand total of titles.

There's nothing to cling to me for me, today.

The European record means more to me than the league record, most likely because the last time we won the league I was too young to appreciate it, whereas I felt very much part of it in 2005.

But records don't last forever. Even if they won it next year we could win it the next two and vice versa.

Too much emphasis has been placed by both us and the media on "18" each year is a new challenge and while I am extremely proud of our history I have never felt the need to shove it down everyone's throat ever 5 seconds as some people do, nor have I needed to use it to win arguements like some alamo of the ignorant.

Of course I want us to remain the most succesful team in England but the reason is not so I can sing about how "we won it 5 times" or tell everyone about our 18 league titles, it is so we can add to our illustrious history and enjoy each moment as it happens.

Bragging rights is one thing but we should never lose sight of why we really follow our team and why it means so much for us to compete every season.

Totally agree.....part of the reaction of their fans is the whole 18-5 thing. It's a great history we have, and we should always remember it but now we need to move on. This season is over bar wrapping up second place and sending Sami off in style. I think we have seen huge progress this year. We can call this a serious challenge for the first time in ages while acknowledging that it could have been even better. Highlights for me are the Mancs and Real thrashings.

Also, huge credit to all of those who have fought and continue to fight the Justice campaign.

YNWA