You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best away performance at Anfield?

Guest Kenny

Guest Kenny

As much as I hate to say it, Chelsea deserved it last night and it got me thinking that was the best away performance at Anfield I can remember for some while, can anyone think of the last time a team played so well at Anfield?

As much as I hate to say it, Chelsea deserved it last night and it got me thinking that was the best away performance at Anfield I can remember for some while, can anyone think of the last time a team played so well at Anfield?

Valencia.

Errr... Fulham, Hull or West Ham this season, United this season?

Chelsea were shite last night, it's just that we were worse than them. The only thing they done well was capitalise on stuff - whether it be sloppy balls or the space we gave them.

Arsenal absolutely hammered us in the FA Cup game a few years ago, the 3-1 that could have been 12-1. I also have to say that I thought Wigan and Middlesborough comprehensively outplayed us this year yet we managed to beat them, as did Atletico when we gotr the last-minute penalty.

Arsenal were good in January 03, but we managed to drag ourselves to a 2-2 draw.

Followed a week later by Crystal Palace in an FA cup replay.

Beaten 2-0 by a team from a league below us who were down to ten men.

Not even Bruno Cheyrou's golden boots could save us.

Man, those boots were shiny that freezing, freezing night.

Chelsea were shite last night, it's just that we were worse than them. The only thing they done well was capitalise on stuff - whether it be sloppy balls or the space we gave them.

That's bolloks. They done to us what we have been doing to team's in europe for the past few season's, and you have to give them credit for it.

They were well organised, strong, passionate and clinical. It was a very good performance from them.

Errr... Fulham, Hull or West Ham this season, United this season?

Nonsense.

The first half was fantastic from both sides.

Chelsea in 2005 were very good but we are a much better team now that we were then. I expected a gubbing then. I didn't expect to be out played last night.

Valencia 2002 for me. Again, we are better now than then, but that's probably the best I've ever seen an opposing side play at Anfield.

3) Barcelona 2001

2) Valencia 2002

1) Dynamo Tblisi 1979*

*My Dad & Uncle's choices both said they've never seen a better team come to Anfield.

Tblisi were an oustanding team. Although we won the game 2-1 I recall my friends and I leaving the Kop and declaring that there would be no need to save for trip to a final that season. They had a baldy number 10 called Kipiani and he was brilliant, as was Shenaglia, the winger. The mad thing was that they got knocked out by Hamburg in the next round (I think) and they in turn lost to Clough's fucking nobodies in the final. I also recall Ferencvaros giving us a football lesson in the snow in '67 or '68. A kid called Varga shredded us.

I now feel very, very old.

Tblisi were an oustanding team. Although we won the game 2-1 I recall my friends and I leaving the Kop and declaring that there would be no need to save for trip to a final that season. They had a baldy number 10 called Kipiani and he was brilliant, as was Shenaglia, the winger. The mad thing was that they got knocked out by Hamburg in the next round (I think) and they in turn lost to Clough's fucking nobodies in the final. I also recall Ferencvaros giving us a football lesson in the snow in '67 or '68. A kid called Varga shredded us.

I now feel very, very old.

I remember the Tblisi game, they were absolutely brilliant. Bruges in the 76 final were excellent for about 60 minutes too, then they wilted. That was the scene of my first piss in the Kop! I don't think the two things are connected.

Balenthia and by some distance.

I'm being tediously repetitive now, but last night is in danger of becoming some sort of albatross around our necks: Chelsea were not especially brilliant. They were just a very good side playing good football, but that is not anything special in itself. The result was so emphatic because we were so lacklustre and shite. For some reason we totally abandoned the tempo and aggression we've been playing with and consequently got twatted. If we'd just snapped into some tackles, closed down the nearest opponent and shown for the man on the ball more vigorously when we had it, there'd have been a different result.

Chelsea in 2005 shouldn't be on this thread. If I remember correctly, Drogba tore Hyypia a new one in that match, but other than that it was close. It was 1-2 for ages and pretty much the whole of the second half the ball was in their half of the pitch.

Barca were awesome in the second half in of 2001-2002 season, but the Valencia match in the 2002-2003 season was the most comprehensive performance by an away side I've seen. Valencia dominated in all aspects from the first minute to last.

Domestically, Arsenal in 2003, when Heskey scored the last minute equaliser. No idea how Arsenal didn't win that one. God they were a good side circa 2002-2004.

Balenthia and by some distance.

I'm being tediously repetitive now, but last night is in danger of becoming some sort of albatross around our necks: Chelsea were not especially brilliant. They were just a very good side playing good football, but that is not anything special in itself. The result was so emphatic because we were so lacklustre and shite. For some reason we totally abandoned the tempo and aggression we've been playing with and consequently got twatted. If we'd just snapped into some tackles, closed down the nearest opponent and shown for the man on the ball more vigorously when we had it, there'd have been a different result.

Completely agree. It wasn't like they kept the ball for long spells or completed long passing moves. As you say, they won most of the second balls and Lucas and Xabi couldn't live with their physical and mobile central midfield.