You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I can't help but feel that the club has not helped themselves by getting involved in this. As has been pointed out it is not a footballing matter and we should not be getting involved as a club, as a group of fans, yes but the club should not touch this with a shitty stick as far as I am concerned.

How about the players Justice For the 96 shirts at every home game in support of something thats fact and is far more worthy than a six minute chant two years ago.

To be honest I am absolutely disgusted by the pushing of Shields' case by the club and Hillsborough has come across like it only matters once a year.

I know some will call me a cunt for saying what I have already said on here about my opinions on Shields' case, but Hillsborough is a cause that demands and deserves to be at the forefront of any protest we do as a set of fans and a football. If this is how it is going to be from now then Liverpool Fc can fuck right off and so can the players from this group onwards. It fucking stinks.

That's spot on.

Seeing the players in the shirts was an embarassment. How can the club endorse something it knows nothing about - and in which its opinion counts for nothing?

We just make ourselves into a national laughing stock with stuff like this, and when the time comes where the club and fans CAN influence something, any preassure will carry less weight because we'll just be viewed collectively as perennial agitators.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People shouldnt be forced to hold up cards or sing anything. Simple.

People will say "well, you didnt have to hold it up or sing anything". I felt almost forced to hold this up and sing. After his mum was on the pitch in tears, how could i not?

This case is something i know nothing about and to be fair, have my doubts about. I held it up for his poor mum.

Judging by the lack of enthusiasm this FREE MICHAEL NOW 'chant' was met with, In my opinion this should never be repeated.

This exactly the kind of rubbish I hear spouted by mancs and blues whenever Michael Shields is mentioned. How can you have doubts about it if you know nothing about it? Surely the purpose of this demonstration was to raise awareness of the issue i.e. make you want to do a bit of research into it and form your own opinion? If youve got time to come on a LFC forum and post you've got time to spend 10 mins reading up on the case (weve had three and a half years so far). Please understand, im not having a personal attack on you, its just ive heard this opinion paraphrased so many times and I find it utterlt frustrating. It like trying to convince a manc that were not all murderers:wallbutt:

I totally understand people who are saying they have problems with the action taken due to the demo revolving around freeing him rather than giving him a retrial, fair enough but people assuming he is guilty especially fellow reds is, in my opinion, totally wrong. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILITY!

This exactly the kind of rubbish I hear spouted by mancs and blues whenever Michael Shields is mentioned. How can you have doubts about it if you know nothing about it? Surely the purpose of this demonstration was to raise awareness of the issue i.e. make you want to do a bit of research into it and form your own opinion? If youve got time to come on a LFC forum and post you've got time to spend 10 mins reading up on the case (weve had three and a half years so far). Please understand, im not having a personal attack on you, its just ive heard this opinion paraphrased so many times and I find it utterlt frustrating. It like trying to convince a manc that were not all murderers:wallbutt:

I totally understand people who are saying they have problems with the action taken due to the demo revolving around freeing him rather than giving him a retrial, fair enough but people assuming he is guilty especially fellow reds is, in my opinion, totally wrong. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILITY!

He has been proven guilty though. Now it is about showing that the guilty finding was flawed.

I'm very nervous of posting on this thread as people seem to have pigeon-holed a lot of people solely on daring to ask a few questions. Nonetheless, you could clearly hear the Liverpool chant been made OVER the Michael Shields chants in the first 3 minutes. Was there any trouble as a result of this?

The fans & the players should put a lot more effort into having support nights for hillsborough than a michael shields night,SOS should stop trying to force their opinion on other people, it's as if their opinion is right & if you don't like our opinion your wrong,also there are plenty of rumours around merseyside about all the money that has been raised for him,where has a lot of it gone,it's supposed to pay for his legal team& to help him for his future, but it seems to have been spread amongst the family hangers on or some of it anyway

The fans & the players should put a lot more effort into having support nights for hillsborough than a michael shields night,SOS should stop trying to force their opinion on other people, it's as if their opinion is right & if you don't like our opinion your wrong,also there are plenty of rumours around merseyside about all the money that has been raised for him,where has a lot of it gone,it's supposed to pay for his legal team& to help him for his future, but it seems to have been spread amongst the family hangers on or some of it anyway

That could be libellous mate; you may want to edit that?

I hear some of it has found its way back to Agger to fund his drug deals with the gangster who is boning Gerrard's missus and threatening to kill Gerrard if he does anything.

I heard Keane and Riera refused to wear the shirts. Did anyone who watched on TV see them wearing it?

And if they did then they are dead right. It is not up to the club or the players to become involved in what is an external issue involving the Bulgarian authorities and the British government.

If somehow Michael Shields is found innocent then it is all fine and dandy, but if it is proved that he is guilty or remains charged as such then it opens up the club to being a supporter of someone convicted of a serious criminal offense.

If individual supporters want to support his cause then that is cool. But trying to get everyone involved as if they were one mind and didn't have their own opinions as to his guilt or innocence is a bit of a piss take.

FA asks Liverpool to explain show of support for convicted criminal Michael Shields | Football | The Guardian

The Football Association is to write to Liverpool for an explanation into the orchestrated support shown for the jailed fan Michael Shields during Monday's 0-0 draw with West Ham United at Anfield.

Officials at Soho Square are considering whether to bring disciplinary charges after taking exception at the manner in which Liverpool have publicly backed a man who has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for the attempted murder of a Bulgarian waiter, Martin Georgiev, in May 2005.

Another Liverpool fan admitted being responsible for the crime before later retracting his confession and Shields' case will go before a high court review tomorrow. The FA, however, is alarmed that Liverpool should openly use a live televised game to try to influence the matter.

Rafael Benítez's players wore T-shirts bearing the slogan Free Michael Now during their pre-match warm-up and the actress Sue Johnston was invited on to the pitch with Shields' parents to make a speech calling for the justice secretary, Jack Straw, to "do the right thing".

A mosaic was held up in the Kop spelling out Free Michael Now and the match-day programme contained an article declaring the 22-year-old's innocence. "Liverpool fan Michael Shields should be here at Anfield for tonight's game," it began. "Instead, he will be sitting in a prison cell."

The FA's concern is linked to the recent disciplinary case against the Ipswich midfielder David Norris for supporting the former Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick. Norris had been charged with improper conduct after making a handcuffs gesture in dedication to McCormick, who had been sentenced to seven years in prison for causing the death by dangerous driving of two young brothers.

The FA's disciplinary department fined Norris £5,000 and is alarmed that Liverpool should also publicly back someone convicted of a serious crime and, in the process, open themselves to allegations of playing judge and jury.

The matter became a subject of controversy on radio phone-ins yesterday and the FA will, at the very least, remind Liverpool that it does not believe it is the club's role to take on such issues. "We are not comfortable about this," one source told the Guardian.

There is also an element of concern as Liverpool, according to the FA, had not informed the authorities of their plans. In 1997, their then striker Robbie Fowler was fined 2,000 Swiss francs by Uefa for revealing a T-shirt expressing his support for the city's sacked dock workers.

For once I agree with the FA.

Just as I feared. Other clubs fans and the press are going to love this. How long before the gutter rags start referring to Heysel (and God forbid Hillsborough) and the campaign to free a man found guilty of a serious assault. We are going to look like fucking tits and this could do major harm to the Hillsborough campaign.

Just as I feared. Other clubs fans and the press are going to love this. How long before the gutter rags start referring to Heysel (and God forbid Hillsborough) and the campaign to free a man found guilty of a serious assault. We are going to look like fucking tits and this could do major harm to the Hillsborough campaign.

Absolutely. For a club that is alledgedly so paranoid about it's brand that it's trying to stop scarf sellers, who the f took the decision to go with the Micheal Shields protest?

Surely this type of publicity could damage Micheal's case?

Absolutely. For a club that is alledgedly so paranoid about it's brand that it's trying to stop scarf sellers, who the f took the decision to go with the Micheal Shields protest?

Surely this type of publicity could damage Micheal's case?

Call me a cynic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Hicks expanding on his 'sipping from an LFC mug on camera' theme.

Either that or Parry sat down with the club's lawyers and went through the case notes into the wee small hours.

I agree.

The matter became a subject of controversy on radio phone-ins yesterday and the FA will, at the very least, remind Liverpool that it does not believe it is the club's role to take on such issues. "We are not comfortable about this," one source told the Guardian.

Shame they weren't this uncomfortable over Chris Morgan's attempted murder of Ian Hume.

well done everyone for monday it was great!

a few things bug me about some reds fans.

some people the way this is going on think its done every game, its not it was done to raise awareness for the court!

Alot of people are saying they dont know the facts bloody hell were they in mars at times since 2005 it made enough news and subsequent events were well publicised.

If keane and reira refused to wear the Tshirts espically keane ( a liverpool fan) they should be sold in January. ( thats my opinion)

What I do agree on is that the players should wear a justice t shirt one game until we have justice and a michael sheilds t shirt until he gets a fair trial and sod the fa.

I just hope that all these people who have been moaning about this never ever find themselves in Michaels situation going or returning from a match!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW MICHAEL AND FAMILY!

YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Just cant help thinking this was remarkably naive on the clubs part. Regardless of the Shields situation (and i believe he was innocent), SOS and the club cannot expect everyone to vocally and visually back this. People are entitles to their own opinions, and, rightly or wrongly, some people may rather wait to see what the outcome of the review is before making a judgment. Remember, although the evidence in the media is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that he was wrongly convicted, only the people there no what really went on, and for that reason some, understandably IMO, may not want to be holding up cards and singing songs when they don't fully support the cause. People shouldnt be criticised for that. The club should not have touched this with a bargepole in my opinion.

Putting aside Michael for a moment , where the fuck do the FA telling us what matters we may or may not intervene in. They can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's the 'Free Michael' aspect, rather than concentrating on getting him a fair trial, that puts the club on dodgy ground.

Just cant help thinking this was remarkably naive on the clubs part. Regardless of the Shields situation (and i believe he was innocent), SOS and the club cannot expect everyone to vocally and visually back this. People are entitles to their own opinions, and, rightly or wrongly, some people may rather wait to see what the outcome of the review is before making a judgment. Remember, although the evidence in the media is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that he was wrongly convicted, only the people there no what really went on, and for that reason some, understandably IMO, may not want to be holding up cards and singing songs when they don't fully support the cause. People shouldnt be criticised for that. The club should not have touched this with a bargepole in my opinion.

Agree 100%. Repped.

well done everyone for monday it was great!

a few things bug me about some reds fans.

some people the way this is going on think its done every game, its not it was done to raise awareness for the court!

Alot of people are saying they dont know the facts bloody hell were they in mars at times since 2005 it made enough news and subsequent events were well publicised.

If keane and reira refused to wear the Tshirts espically keane ( a liverpool fan) they should be sold in January. ( thats my opinion)

What I do agree on is that the players should wear a justice t shirt one game until we have justice and a michael sheilds t shirt until he gets a fair trial and sod the fa.

I just hope that all these people who have been moaning about this never ever find themselves in Michaels situation going or returning from a match!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW MICHAEL AND FAMILY!

YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Saying we should sell players for not supporting a cause is quite frankly retarded.

I think some are confusing support for Shields with not wanting the team to get involved.

I wasn't at the match but if someone would have rattled a tin in my face I would have stuck a tenner in it. I think he has more than likely been a victim of a shoddy trial. I support his legal fight to clear his name.

I do not however think the captain of the club should be parading around in a T Shirt fruitlessly attempting to influence our home secretary.

The club could work behind the scenes giving legal assistance and even financial support but the team are there to win matches. Period.

The Justice fight for the 96 is obviously a club matter and is entirely different.