You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Exactly. If they just did comedy about what they see rather than who they are, their gender wouldn't make any difference.

ETA : Just a thought. Do you think the reason why we never see any of the genuinely funny women that Stu mentioned is that the TV head honchos have a specific idea of what a female comedian should be, and thats why we only ever see the likes of Jo Brand, Ronni Ancona and that big Miranda beast? Discuss.

Or they are women?

• Upvote 1

Vlad mate, apart from answering a question with a question being poor form, that doesn't make any sense. If the ones who make the decisions were women, you would think that they'd put the good stuff on rather than the lame shit that I listed.

I meant that using positive gender discrimination by purposely filling these shows with women obviously means they have given up on making comedy.

I've just stumbled across a load of Garfunkel & Oates videos on YouTube.  Fucking hell, these are funny.  The songs are dead clever and silly and smutty, delivered in that kind of sweet/sick style that Sarah Silverman does.

Here's a couple of examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ZF_R_j0OY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbAJp1YarfU

Where are you living Stu, the 70s?

2014 Manchester mate, home of a big comedy club that, despite my numerous visits, I've never seen more than one woman on the bill.

I've heard female comedians (ones that have made it, so not making excuses for failure) say the very same thing.

2014 Manchester mate, home of a big comedy club that, despite my numerous visits, I've never seen more than one woman on the bill.

I've heard female comedians (ones that have made it, so not making excuses for failure) say the very same thing.

The north/south divide still as big as ever. It really isn't that bad down here.

Nah, I don't think you can accuse Stu of that. He is a modern man.   Though he'll be even more offended if you accuse him of living in a backward provincial backwater as opposed to a modern metropolitan hipster city as Manchester insists on regarding itself.  Comedy clubs, sushi, vodka bars, whatever next?  

* winks *