You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

honesty needed - who DOESN'T think keane will be a good signing

spider-neil

Personally, my concerns at having seen him at close quarters for Ireland 30/40 times stem more from his attitude than his actual performance. Hands flailing in the air, moaning at every misplaced pass, whining to the ref and linesemen, not always tracking back etc

I think becoming the country's record scorer at 24 hasn't done him any favours in the sense that he really doesn't look bothered out there playing for his country sometimes.

All that said, he's always looked a different player for Spurs in terms of honesty of effort and attitude, so I assume that will extend to playing for the club he supported as a lad.

And I agree with Gav that there are question marks over his ability to score against top sides, despite that goal against Chelsea and a few penalties against Arsenal. I'd estimate that he hasn't scored against a top side for Ireland since 2002.

Hopefully playing with better players will project him that little bit further into the bracket of a genuine world class player, but only time will tell.

to be honest we need flat track bullies.

a striker that only scores against shite...HOORAY!!! seeing as the shite sides all but derailed our league campaign last season with our sea of draws.

Rafa says "on the right" 3 times in this interview. I swear he's obsessed with playing strikers on the flanks. Anyway, I expect to see him Kuyt and Gerrard swap positions a lot whatever happens.

Rafael Benitez has confirmed he must sell again to bring Gareth Barry to Liverpool after completing the £20.3m signing of Robbie Keane.

The Reds manager insists that is what he aims to do, but he has no intention of selling Spain international Alvaro Arbeloa.

Liverpool are believed to have had a £7m bid from Sevilla for the 25-year-old, but Benitez has made it clear the player is going nowhere, despite speculation defender Arbeloa wants to return to Spain for personal reasons.

Benitez maintains there is no truth in the assumption Arbeloa is eager to leave and the former Deportivo La Coruna player will be part of his plans in the coming season.

But there is no question that Benitez still wants to sign former Aston Villa skipper Barry, the subject of a summer-long saga which has frayed tempers at Villa Park and Anfield.

Benitez could sell Jermaine Pennant, Andriy Voronin or Steve Finnan, but it is still more likely that he will persuade Xabi Alonso to leave if he can get a £15million-plus bid for the Spanish midfielder.

After completing the Keane deal, Benitez talked in terms of one more major departure rather than a string of smaller deals, to finance an £18m move for Barry.

Benitez said: "We knew that we could only spend money by selling players and we have been doing this (for Keane).

"We are still trying to sign the players that we need, and if we need to sell someone now, okay, we will do so.

"If we can do it (the Barry deal) before the end of the transfer window, we will continue to try. We will always continue to improve our squad."

Benitez was delighted to finally land Keane, and he declined to discuss Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy's anger over how the move was concluded.

Benitez said: "We are pleased he is here. We dealt well with Mr Levy, and my role was to bring the player here as quickly as possible.

"Robbie is one of the very best forwards in the Premier League. He is settled and more than used to the requirements. He is a good professional with a solid mentality, obviously I am pleased he is here, other managers would say the same.

"Robbie can play alongside (Fernando) Torres and (Dirk) Kuyt, and also (Steven) Gerrard. He is clever and is the right kind of player.

"He can play on the right, he can play up front. If you have clever players it makes it easier for the manager."

He added: "If you play 4-4-2, Keane can play alongside Torres. If we play 4-2-3-1 he can play as a second striker or on the right.

"He is the kind of player who is adaptable, and can be used in different positions and will give you 100 per cent.

"Robbie is intelligent, he can play on the right and he can adapt. He is a very positive signing.

"He scored twice at Anfield last season, he knows where he has to be to score and where he must be to support team-mates. He is very clever.

"We have known he was a good player for a long time, the goals he scored against us just underlined what we already knew.

"We wanted the player, he said he was a Liverpool fan and wanted to come here. We are happy, our fans are happy."

The Mirror's own columnist Mark Lawrenson remains distinctly unconvinced by the capture of Keane, not least because he is worried about the striker's record in front of goal when it really matters.

Lawro believes that - with all the financial problems at Anfield - Benitez should be reserving his funds for a genuine world class striker to support Torres, and he wonders if Keane fits that particular bill.

"Personally, I don't think Liverpool have the players that can score the goals to give them the title," he explained.

"Obviously, Fernando Torres got 33 last year, but that wasn't enough to even sustain a title challenge, never mind win it.

"That was because they drew too many games where they didn't have the firepower to win them. My point is, who is going to make sure that if Liverpool go all out to win games that they will score the goals to ensure it happens?

"And what if Torres falls over at Sunderland on the opening day of the season and is out for months?

"Keane is a good player, but quality though he is, he's more of a streaky scorer. He'll go on a run and get 10 in 10 but then that's half his average season's tally gone in one go.

"He can't guarantee the kind of regular goalscoring Torres was making a habit of last season, and I think Liverpool need a top class scorer to support him."

Lawro "Liverpool need a 20 goal a season striker blah blah blah"

We Torres who gets 33 in his first season.

Lawro "If Torres gets injured blah blah"

The same applies to all team you fucking smuck - if Rooney and Ronaldo got injured United would be screwed.

Benitez said: "We knew that we could only spend money by selling players and we have been doing this (for Keane).

"We are still trying to sign the players that we need, and if we need to sell someone now, okay, we will do so.

"If we can do it (the Barry deal) before the end of the transfer window, we will continue to try. We will always continue to improve our squad."

Benitez was delighted to finally land Keane, and he declined to discuss Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy's anger over how the move was concluded.

Benitez said: "We are pleased he is here. We dealt well with Mr Levy, and my role was to bring the player here as quickly as possible.

"Robbie is one of the very best forwards in the Premier League. He is settled and more than used to the requirements. He is a good professional with a solid mentality, obviously I am pleased he is here, other managers would say the same.

"Robbie can play alongside (Fernando) Torres and (Dirk) Kuyt, and also (Steven) Gerrard. He is clever and is the right kind of player.

"He can play on the right, he can play up front. If you have clever players it makes it easier for the manager."

He added: "If you play 4-4-2, Keane can play alongside Torres. If we play 4-2-3-1 he can play as a second striker or on the right.

"He is the kind of player who is adaptable, and can be used in different positions and will give you 100 per cent.

"Robbie is intelligent, he can play on the right and he can adapt. He is a very positive signing.

"He scored twice at Anfield last season, he knows where he has to be to score and where he must be to support team-mates. He is very clever.

"We have known he was a good player for a long time, the goals he scored against us just underlined what we already knew.

"We wanted the player, he said he was a Liverpool fan and wanted to come here. We are happy, our fans are happy."

If Keane plays the majority of games on the right handside (front 3 or not) then he will be less than brilliant signing as I have seen no evidence throughout his career of him playing that position and I've seen nothing to make me think he could do that role well.

He has brilliant touch, is quick of the mark and has fantastic movement. I don't see him being half as effective playing away from the middle and if Rafa goes with that he's taking a big risk and I think if it doesn't come off we'll be looking for a new manager next season

a striker that only scores against shite...HOORAY!!! seeing as the shite sides all but derailed our league campaign last season with our sea of draws.

But they never.

We didn't pick up points against the main rivals, that was the problem.

Bellamy has more talent than Robbie but Robbie has more mental strength and game application.

Ive said my bit now its time to get behind the team for next season

No fucking way!

Bellamy is a speed merchant and can only play one way. Its why he struggled with us when teams would just drop deep and sit off, he was rendered ineffective. Not his fault like, but that just didn't suit his game.

Robbie Keane has lot more to his overall game.

Lawrenson is a whopper. I don't remember him ever saying that shit about Michael Owen when he was here and it was far more applicable to him: he never got 20 league goals in a season, scored in bursts and was injured all the time. He was "world class" though.

• 3 weeks later...

SHITE TEAMS ROBBIE KEANE SCORED AGAINST LAST SEASON:LIVERPOOL FC (european cup winners AND FINALISTS) CHELSEA (PREMIERSHIP TITLE WINNERS) MANCHESTER UNITED (PREMIERSHIP TITLE WINNERS)!HMMMMM.......maybe Robbie Keane is good after all!

How can there be question marks when he has scored against us, United, Arsenal and Chelsea (all in the last twelve months IIRC). He has scored goals aginst all of the top four so if he still has question marks then so must every striker really.

I think he will be a revelation.

Here is a good article by Redknapp on what he will give us:

Your talent will really shine at Anfield, Robbie

Robbie Keane to Liverpool — stand by for something very special. It is a long time since I have been so excited about a Barclays Premier League signing.

I’ve always thought and often told him that he would play for Liverpool one day. He’s suited to Liverpool, it’s his club, he’s supported them since he was a boy and he is a top football talent.You might not know this, but he is a tough so-and-so, too. He’s had a few scraps in his time, standing up for what he believes.

More from Jamie Redknapp...

Edgar Davids rated himself, and he used to be known as The Pitbull, but then tried to front up Robbie during a Tottenham training session. Davids left with his tail between his legs. It’s not wise to pick a fight with Robbie.

He’s a popular player — he’s become a good friend since we played together at Tottenham — but that is not the reason I am so certain this will prove to be outstanding business for Liverpool. I am not putting my neck out because he’s a good lad.

It’s easy to underestimate how good Robbie is. Speaking as a midfield player, he was a joy to play with. He can come short and take the ball with his back to goal, but he will also point over the top and run in behind.

He’s not as quick as Fernando Torres, but he’s fast. Steven Gerrard’s eyes must be lighting up at the prospect of playing with him.Defenders may try to follow him when he comes short, but he can turn quickly and then use the space over the top. He is very difficult to mark.

Liverpool have not had a potent scoring double act since Dalglish and Rush, but Keane and Torres will be a force. Is this the signing that proves Rafa Benitez will concentrate more on the Premier League this season? I think it does.

I only hope the manager plays him regularly and in his best position up through the middle, just behind Torres. There is no point sending Robbie out to the right or the left wing, that’s not his strength, even if he can play there. He has genius feet. Bright in the mind, but stunning movement.

It’s a disservice to ask why he doesn’t settle at clubs. He settled at Spurs and has been very happy. I know he would have only left for one club, because he told me so. Liverpool are very close to his heart.

He was captain of Spurs and of the Republic of Ireland and he is a smashing fella to be around. He has a ferocious passion for football and a desire to achieve and win

trophies. Liverpool is the right place for him.

Something else you should know is that he plays without fear. He is a brave lad and you need that character, as well as talent, to play at the big clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United.

Like Carlos Tevez, he’s also a chaser of lost causes and will go hunting for the ball. The Liverpool crowd will warm to that. They’ll like Robbie the showman, too — his cartwheeling, machine-gun celebrations. We can expect to see plenty of them.

I know Liverpool could have had David Villa out of Valencia after his goals at Euro 2008, but they have made the right choice here. There is not question that Robbie is a

better all-round team player. I am certain Rafa has reached that conclusion, too, because he could surely have taken Villa if he wanted.

One final thing. Robbie wants to wear the No 10 shirt. It’s the number the playmakers used to wear. He’s a playmaker and a goalscorer, a maker of great goals and a scorer of great goals. Anfield will be his platform to great things.

Keane transfer trail

Total fees: £58.3million

Games: 438 Goals: 167

Wolves — Coventry (£6m)

Games for Wolves 88; goals 29

Coventry — Inter Milan (£13m)

Games for Coventry 34; goals 12

Inter Milan — Leeds (£12m)

Games for Inter 6; goals 0

Leeds — Tottenham (£7m)

Games for Leeds 56; goals 19

Tottenham — Liverpool (£20.3m)

Games for Tottenham 254; goals 107

LOVE THOSE STATS RIGHT THERE-167 goals divided by 438 games is 2.6 goals per game in case you were wondering!rounded up, thats A HAT-TRICK PER GAME he's EVER played in!not too bad in my opinion!im glad hes here now, for sure.

LOVE THOSE STATS RIGHT THERE-167 goals divided by 438 games is 2.6 goals per game in case you were wondering!rounded up, thats A HAT-TRICK PER GAME he's EVER played in!not too bad in my opinion!im glad hes here now, for sure.

Erm... or a goal every 2.6 games maybe? Just possibly?

Erm... or a goal every 2.6 games maybe? Just possibly?

OH YEAH YOU MAY BE RIGHT!sorry got my maths a bit wrong there hahaha!YEAH A GOAL EVERY 2.6 GAMES is correct!other wise hed have over 1100 goals (438 gamesx3goals) but having said that he's still got a nice ratio in my opinion........Cant fault Keano there!

• 5 months later...

This needs to be bumped. I wonder whether sensible posters like Johnny H and Paul have changed their minds, or whether they still stand by their views of him?

And, oh dear, here's Dave: "I think he's a perfect player for us, he's going to be a fucking star, and he'll end up a big hero with the fans".

Surely - surely - the fact that Rashid rated Robbie Keane should have sent the alarm bells ringing?? :whistle:

This needs to be bumped. I wonder whether sensible posters like Johnny H and Paul have changed their minds, or whether they still stand by their views of him?

And, oh dear, here's Dave: "I think he's a perfect player for us, he's going to be a fucking star, and he'll end up a big hero with the fans".

Surely - surely - the fact that Rashid rated Robbie Keane should have sent the alarm bells ringing?? :whistle:

Rashid, Jamie Redknapp & Richard Keyes.... No-one could have overcome all of them thinking he was a great buy!

I've always liked Keane, all the way back to his Wolves days. I thought he'd do well for us, but had a feeling he was the wrong signing, since we already had Gerrard and Torres and I didnt want them split up. felt we should have strengthened elsewhere.

Im alarmed how poor he has been inspite of him being chopped and changed. He played a good few games early doors and has never looked right. I have to say i think he'll come good in the end, but Im not sure we have the time this season.

Bumping old threads then taking the piss out of opinions that were wrong is shit.

Yeah it is, but surely the antidote to that is to not have wrong opinions in the first place that can be bumped.

I myself can still pretty much stand by what I wrote in July:

He's a good player, but at that price it represents a hell of a risk. There's the vague whiff of desperation about it too.

I like seeing these old threads... it's like picking up an old copy of TLW and reading how Cheyrou will be a star.

Its funny how opinions change and now we can see who was right and who was wrong. Nothing wrong with pointing it out. Some people thought he would be a huge success, some thought a gamble, and some a failure.... made interesting reading.

Yeah it is, but surely the antidote to that is to not have wrong opinions in the first place that can be bumped.

I myself can still pretty much stand by what I wrote in July:

The only thing I got wrong in the summer was Riera who has been a decent acquisition, but I'm not going round bumping thread laughing at the people who took the piss out of me/negged me to fuck for saying Dossena was shit and we should stick with Insua.