You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The return of Sammy Lee

Sammy Lee heads back to Liverpool as assistant manager

May 9 2008 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ wants to make Sammy Lee his new assistant manager.

The Reds boss is looking to move quickly to add to his backroom staff after first team coach Alex Miller quit the club to take the manager’s job at Japanese side JEF United Chiba.

Lee, who served Liverpool with distinction as a player and a coach, is at the top of Benitez’s wish list and an approach could be imminent if approved by both Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Publicly, Benitez says there are several names under consideration for the role but privately he has already decided Lee is his best man.

And having not had an assistant since Pako Ayesteran left Anfield under a cloud earlier this season, he will take the opportunity to fill that position rather than making a direct replacement for Miller.

Should Lee be appointed it will go down well with senior members of the Liverpool playing staff who are known to have enjoyed working with him in his spell as a coach during Gerard Houllier’s tenure.

In an eight-year playing career at Anfield Lee amassed a glittering array of honours that included three League titles, two European Cups and four League Cups.

An infectious enthusiasm and unquestionable commitment made him a firm crowd favourite, before injury and loss of form saw some sections of the crowd turn on him and he moved on to QPR.

After spells at Osasuna, Southampton and Bolton, Lee returned to Anfield under Graeme Souness in 1993.

He impressed as reserve team coach and in 1999 was promoted to first team coach under Gerard Houllier.

His coaching potential did not go unnoticed by those at the FA, however, and in July 2004 he left Anfield a second time to become a full-time member of the England coaching set-up.

Handed his first job as full-time manager at Bolton in March 2007, he survived just 14 games and has been out of the game since then.

On Miller’s departure Benitez said: “It is very positive news for Alex.

“This is a very good opportunity for him to coach in Japan and I want to wish Alex all the best in his new job.

“I am considering new staff for the new season. We are checking some names and will be in contact with them and see what we can do.”

Meanwhile, contrary to speculation, Liverpool have not received an offer from Inter Milan for captain Steven Gerrard.

And, as revealed in the ECHO earlier this week, the Reds have no interest in Barcelona left-back Eric Adibal.

Benitez confirmed rumours suggesting the French international is Anfield bound are totally unfounded.

He said: "I do not like to talk about players but he is not a player we are looking for."

Sammy Lee heads back to Liverpool as assistant manager - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

Great news if it turns out to be true, the perfect replacement for Miller

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ex red, passionate about the club and whatever job he takes on and can speak the managers native language if Rafa struggles to get his point over.

Would be a good appointment all round.

I must be getting old but can anyone remember the crowd turning against Sammy because i cant.

Ex red, passionate about the club and whatever job he takes on and can speak the managers native language if Rafa struggles to get his point over.

I must be getting old but can anyone remember the crowd turning against Sammy because i cant.

I will if he brings that stupid headphone he had at Bolton with him. ;)

Might well be Prentice's bluebitterness shining through.

He did sometimes get a bit of stick but he's in good company.

Can't remember the crowd turning against him, but like yourself l must be getting old :( , l was stood on the kop when Sammy made his debut for the first team, was against Leicester if l remember correctly. l think he may have scored as well

Be nice to see him back, Obviously a knowledgeable bloke with good English/Spanish connections.

I remember Kevin Keegan raving about Sammy in the weekly column he did for Shoot - he used to insist Sammy was going to be sensational when he made the move up from the reserves. God I feel old! Very good news he's coming back, anywhay.

Sammy Lee likes his teams to play football which is why it never worked for him with a set of alehouse footballers that Bolton have got.

What a joke of a club Fat Sam built:

SAM: OK, let's get ready. Have we got the head sets and mikes? Good. The pro-zone microchips in the boots? Great. The body fat and heart monitors? Excellent. What about the ice baths? They'd better be ready! Now, are the multi-directional cameras all set up and running? Top class! Have we forgotten anything?

ASSISTANT: Er, the ball?

SAM: FECK!

What a joke of a club Fat Sam built:

SAM: OK, let's get ready. Have we got the head sets and mikes? Good. The pro-zone microchips in the boots? Great. The body fat and heart monitors? Excellent. What about the ice baths? They'd better be ready! Now, are the multi-directional cameras all set up and running? Top class! Have we forgotten anything?

ASSISTANT: Er, the ball?

SAM: FECK!

I often noticed that irony alright.

It was like having a Ferrari Forumla One pitstop team with multi million pound hi tech gear to service the Flinstones car that their 'style' of football was.

Or 24 carat gold personalised Predator boots for a landmine victim.