You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blues want a standing section

Count Morfeo

Forgive the Count if this is posted elsewhere for he is weary and short on time if not stature, but the Blues want to open a standing end at their new stadium.

Presumably, this is a bid to reduce the number of empty seats by ripping them out.

The Count and Wyness have very few things in common ( being undead is one of them, though). Most notably, the Count has hair, which he cherishes and allows only the finest of hairdressers to tend to. This does come at a premium but surely it is worth it.

Anyway, the Count digresses. Yes, The Count has very few things in common - the Count, unlike Wyness, is a Red and dislikes Everton's big boy pies.

But he did adopt a similar tactic when dealing with starving peasants back in the day.

......The shadows whisper the Count's name (not Hank and the boys.. what a waste of a Vox AC30 and a Fender, by the way, but the dark matter of existance)

Ah BS trying to introduce some atmosphere while probably having a snipe that is are fault they have to sit (and probably cost them world domination as a result)

although one of the lads pointed this out to me today

if you want desperate for atmosphere... (sorry if its already been posted...)

http://www.chelseafc.com/xxchelsea180706/index.html#/page/TicketNews

Guest TK-421
By the way TK, as a practising lawyer, does it not even embarass you one little bit that you're catching up to my post count after signing up one and a half years after me?

You've got me there.

Ah BS trying to introduce some atmosphere while probably having a snipe that is are fault they have to sit (and probably cost them world domination as a result)

although one of the lads pointed this out to me today

if you want desperate for atmosphere... (sorry if its already been posted...)

http://www.chelseafc.com/xxchelsea180706/index.html#/page/TicketNews

"no thicker than a standard pencil" ? That rules out most Shedenders then.

Oh man, that hurt. It hurt so much I'm going to use a smiley. :(

It's funny because I don't even have a proper job. Cheer yourself up by splashing peasants like me while you drive past a muddy puddle in your Merc.

Guest TK-421
It's funny because I don't even have a proper job. Cheer yourself up by splashing peasants like me while you drive past a muddy puddle in your Merc.

I can't drive, but I'll do a scary last second skiddy stop on the old mountain bike. You should be on an all day sesh by now.

Why some fans are standing up for chance

Mar 16 2007

With a survey revealing 92% of football fans are in favour of bringing back standing on the terraces, Tony Barrett speaks to those touched by the tragedy of Hillsborough

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

JOHN Glover lost his 20-year-old son Ian on the terraces of Hillsborough.

So when the campaign to bring back terracing to British football stadia was re-ignited this week you might expect him to be one of its most vociferous opponents.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

“I’ve always said I am not against standing at games and nothing I have heard or read since Hillsborough has changed my mind,” says John, from Walton.

“But what I would say is that if it is brought back it has to be strictly controlled and there has to be a proper commitment that fences will not be introduced and that clubs will not look to pack fans in.

“I stood on the Kop for years and I never had a problem. I always felt safe, even though there were a couple of occasions when I felt uncomfortable, and the atmosphere was always better then than it is now.”

John’s belief that terraces can be safe has not been dented by what happened at Hillsborough. Rather, it has been bolstered by his knowledge of what happened on that fateful day on April 15, 1989 when 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives.

“If anyone studies what actually happened at Hillsborough they will realise that people died that day because of a breakdown in policing.

“It was nothing to do with standing in itself.”

And John is anything but a voice in the wilderness if the findings of a newly published survey of British football fans are anything to go by.

The poll, conducted by the Football Fans Census (FFC), found an overwhelming 92% of supporters want clubs to bring back safe standing areas.

FFC co-founder Tim Gentles says: “This is the fourth time we have polled fans on this issue and support for standing in safe, designated areas has consistently been over 90%.”

The sample for this poll was 2,100 fans from all clubs and divisions, 45% of whom were season-ticket holders.

Why some fans are standing up for chance

Phil Gatenby of the Football Supporters’ Federation was not surprised by the findings and he is confident that the modern day football fan would be fully able to adapt to terraces.

He says: “Nobody wants to downplay what happened at Hillsborough or return to the hooligan problems of the 70s and 80s, but fans are different now and so is the technology.”

Portsmouth South MP Mike Hancock has introduced an Early Day Motion to Parliament, urging the government to “re-examine the case for introducing small, limited sections of safe standing areas at football grounds”.

The motion has won the support of 135 MPs and Mr Hancock is adamant he can see no reason why football fans cannot stand safely.

He says: “I am delighted that fans around the country are, at last, getting mobilised to put pressure on MPs to change the regulations about standing at football matches.

“I see absolutely no reason why there cannot be safe standing areas in every football ground.

“I believe that for grounds with capacities of up to 30,000, then 10% could be given over to two safe areas.

“For 50,000 it would be four safe areas in different parts of the ground, on Euro style terracing.

“Access to these areas would be rigorously stewarded, and with a strict cap on the numbers for each area.

“This proposal recognises the causes of past tragedies and how to enable a return to safe standing areas.”

As ever, it is those who are campaigning for change who are shouting the loudest. But the government is thus far remaining steadfast and refusing to budge from its position that all-seater stadia provide the safest way to watch football – as the Taylor Report into the Hillsborough disaster stipulated.

Jenni Hicks who lost daughters Sarah and Vicki at Hillsborough hopes the government sticks to its guns and is not swayed by the growing clamour for the re-introduction of terraces.

She says: “Lord Justice Taylor’s report set out a vision for football that would ensure there would be no more Hillsboroughs.

“The key recommendation, among others addressing the police reaction to the incident, was that terraces be removed and football stadiums become all-seater.

“For those there who watched in horror as the tragedy unfolded, it was clear that a combination of standing terraces with people caged in behind metal fences and the inability to monitor how many people were admitted into standing areas were all contributing factors causing the crush.

“A forward step was needed to improve the safety of football fans and all-seater stadiums were needed.

“The argument that the atmosphere is not the same if people are forced to sit pales into insignificance when you compare it to the increased safety seating provides.

“To see the re-introduction of standing terraces can only be a backwards step.

“Just like at Hillsborough, there is the chance that more and more fans will be pushed into standing areas, way beyond capacity set for that ground.

“And if that goes ahead we will simply recreate the conditions that will mean another Hillsborough is only a matter of time.

“If we create the same conditions will the authorities react again in the same way?”

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=why-some-fans-are-standing-up-for-chance%26method=full%26objectid=18764515%26page=2%26siteid=50061-name_page.html