You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Soccer Saturday.

Chris

Gavin Peacock, that's the bugger.

At least Peacock seems to ba actually making an effort to do some research and enlighten, which is a bit more than most do. Hansen's analysis of Reading's counter-attacking yesterday was the first time for a while I've actually gone "Hmm, that's pretty revealing". I didn't realise just how effective and attacking they were on the counter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Peacock seems to ba actually making an effort to do some research and enlighten, which is a bit more than most do. Hansen's analysis of Reading's counter-attacking yesterday was the first time for a while I've actually gone "Hmm, that's pretty revealing". I didn't realise just how effective and attacking they were on the counter.

Steve Coppell has that team prepared, for sure.

• 7 months later...

When are television producers going to realise that having been a footballer doesn't pre-qualify you as an expert on the game? I'd much rather listen to an astute sports journalist that has never played the game than some of the idiots they trot out as pundits. Warren Barton, Charlie Nicholas, David Platt, Ian Wright, Bryan Marwood and Alan Shearer are some of the most widely used pundits, all of them are shite at it too.

When are television producers going to realise that having been a footballer doesn't pre-qualify you as an expert on the game? I'd much rather listen to an astute sports journalist that has never played the game than some of the idiots they trot out as pundits. Warren Barton, Charlie Nicholas, David Platt, Ian Wright, Byran Marwood and Alan Shearer are some of the most widely used pundits, all of them are shite at it too.

Agreed in some cases - but the problem comes in when they're talking about match action IMO.

I used to watch Hold the Back Page and thought it was class viewing at times, but when you're reviewing a missed goal chance or a nasty tackle, you don't want someone who's never played the game telling you 'He should have opened his body up there and burried that.'

I still don't see the point in Paul Merson. Watching Soccer Saturday there now and he kept agreeing with what everyone says. He also kept looking at Le Tissier a lot and sniggering at him. Gayers.

It's so the rest of us, who can say things like "Agbonlahor" with no trouble, can feel self-satisfied.

I liked soccer saturday when it had McLintock,Marsh,Best etc..were on it as they had a good bit of banter but for any of yous that have had the pleasure of watching RTE on a champions league nite then im sure you'll agree that the panel of Giles,Brady & Dumphy is priceless - whether you agree with any of them is another thing - atleast they tell it like it is - there's no holding back.

Who's mentioned an anti-liverpool conspiracy?

Facts are Jeff Stelling is a smug self satisfied twat who's bought into his own hype and Soccer Saturday is nothing but an excuse for the old boys club to go out on the lash friday nights then go to the studio on a staurday to tell us how things were different in their day and manager X Y and Z don't know what they're doing.

If the panel consisted of people without drink/drug/gambling problems, people who could string two words together and people that didn't slur every other word all while managing to hold a conversationa and offer enlightened views on football then I'd be with you 100%.

It's not though is it, you get more intelligent football discussion on here.

Who's mentioned an anti-liverpool conspiracy?

Facts are Jeff Stelling is a smug self satisfied twat who's bought into his own hype and Soccer Saturday is nothing but an excuse for the old boys club to go out on the lash friday nights then go to the studio on a staurday to tell us how things were different in their day and manager X Y and Z don't know what they're doing.

If the panel consisted of people without drink/drug/gambling problems, people who could string two words together and people that didn't slur every other word all while managing to hold a conversationa and offer enlightened views on football then I'd be with you 100%.

What Cardie said.

Well come on then.

After a scathing Pre match, a summary throughout the game filled with criticism and a post match summary that was underwhelming (even though we won 2-0) he was apparently asked why he'd said what he did and responded with something like 'you have to be controversial to keep being asked back'.

It would certainly explain the likes of Rodney Marsh and Paul Merson and it also dovetails with the similar policy TalkSport adopt who link and share news with Sky.

Nice conspiracy for you their Chris.