You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

CUNT

Dirk

Outrage as ex-Sun boss denies lies

Oct 13 2006

By Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

FORMER Sun editor Kelvin McKenzie has angered families of the Hillsborough tragedy victims by insisting: "I never wrote lies".

The shock admission, made in a no-holds barred interview this week, has stunned the people of Merseyside.

The tabloid was condemned for its infamous The Truth article, written during its coverage of the Hillsborough tragedy, when it wrongly accused Liverpool fans of being directly responsible for the tragedy in which 96 people died.

Despite the paper printing a full-page editorial apology two years ago for the "most terrible mistake in its history", McKenzie has now whipped up fresh controversy with his comments.

Speaking to journalism trade magazine Press Gazette, McKenzie said: "When I published those stories, they were not lies.

"But I don't really think of it all in the way you suggest. They were great stories that later turned out to be untrue - and that is different.

"What am I supposed to feel ashamed about?"

The reaction, coming 17 years after Hillsborough, has bewildered and infuriated football fans across Merseyside.

Phil Hammond, chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, today called on McKenzie to reveal his sources for the story.

He said: "I can't believe that even after all these years, there is no remorse or regret for the hurt he caused.

"He can't hold his hands up and say 'we got it wrong.'But then, that is the man all over.

"He should tell the people of Merseyside where he got the story from and whohis sources were. We have a right to know."

The former editor has recently returned to nation's airwaves during the summer's World Cup, prompting complaints from listeners.

And the ECHO's website was inundated with furious messages from Liverpool fans upset he was back in the spotlight.

McKenzie returned to The Sun to work as a columnist from May 2006 where he has again courted controversy by making disparaging references about Scotland.

Today, The Sun is still blacklisted from many newsagents across the region.

Richard Pedder, chairman of the Liverpool FC Supporters' Club, said: If he still believes those views, there is something wrong with him.

"He is just trying to cover his back, but comments like this are just hurtful.

"The bloke is forgotten about now, he's not important."

luketraynor@liverpoolecho.co.uk

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Outrage as ex-Sun boss denies lies

Oct 13 2006

By Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

FORMER Sun editor Kelvin McKenzie has angered families of the Hillsborough tragedy victims by insisting: "I never wrote lies".

The shock admission, made in a no-holds barred interview this week, has stunned the people of Merseyside.

The tabloid was condemned for its infamous The Truth article, written during its coverage of the Hillsborough tragedy, when it wrongly accused Liverpool fans of being directly responsible for the tragedy in which 96 people died.

Despite the paper printing a full-page editorial apology two years ago for the "most terrible mistake in its history", McKenzie has now whipped up fresh controversy with his comments.

Speaking to journalism trade magazine Press Gazette, McKenzie said: "When I published those stories, they were not lies.

"But I don't really think of it all in the way you suggest. They were great stories that later turned out to be untrue - and that is different.

"What am I supposed to feel ashamed about?"

The reaction, coming 17 years after Hillsborough, has bewildered and infuriated football fans across Merseyside.

Phil Hammond, chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, today called on McKenzie to reveal his sources for the story.

He said: "I can't believe that even after all these years, there is no remorse or regret for the hurt he caused.

"He can't hold his hands up and say 'we got it wrong.'But then, that is the man all over.

"He should tell the people of Merseyside where he got the story from and whohis sources were. We have a right to know."

The former editor has recently returned to nation's airwaves during the summer's World Cup, prompting complaints from listeners.

And the ECHO's website was inundated with furious messages from Liverpool fans upset he was back in the spotlight.

McKenzie returned to The Sun to work as a columnist from May 2006 where he has again courted controversy by making disparaging references about Scotland.

Today, The Sun is still blacklisted from many newsagents across the region.

Richard Pedder, chairman of the Liverpool FC Supporters' Club, said: If he still believes those views, there is something wrong with him.

"He is just trying to cover his back, but comments like this are just hurtful.

"The bloke is forgotten about now, he's not important."

luketraynor@liverpoolecho.co.uk

what kind of bollox is that ?" they were great stories which turned out to be untrue" except they were reported as FACT u fat useless fuckin tub o lard the guy is a Pooes. ( SA for CUNT and pronounced Pooce)

Guest reddie101

"They were great stories that later turned out to be untrue - and that is different."

What precisely is different? Kelvin seems to have trouble understanding the meaning of the word 'lie'? This explains alot.

The guy is a complete and utter twat. I'm glad his career has been savaged.

What pisses me off is that elements of the media (BBC included) seem to be assisting him in an attempt to build his career again. This appears to be an attempt to redefine his responsibilities as he mistakenly believes that his actions have been forgotten.

"Later turned out to be untrue"?!!!! You're the fucking journalist. How many Reds did you ask? How many stewards and first aiders did you check your story with?

"Great stories"? The truth of what happened that day not enough of a story for you?!

This thread title's too nice.

"When I published those stories, they were not lies".

"But I don't really think of it all in the way you suggest. They were great stories that later turned out to be untrue - and that is different".

I honestly could do time for this absolute waste of DNA if I ever ran across him. I once had a dream that Albie from Cracker stabbed him in the face. When I woke up, there was a puzzling damp spot on my sheets.

Just listening to Steve Wrght on Radio 2 and the cunt is on his programme later. Presume he is flogging something if he's on there.

Maybe see if Wrighty asks him about it?

Text 88291

or email steve.wright@bbc.co.uk

edit: HANG ON - i might have misheard - it could be Chevy Chase :D !!!! I will keep listening before we inundate poor old Chevvy with cunt mesages

I am truly appalled and agree with Cath that the title of the thread is far too nice.

What about the families who suffered loss and now there going to hurt all over again, I despise violence but maybe fivetimes is right on this occaison.

The anger and hurt this thing has now done again is just too disgraceful and words fail me.

This thread has made me feel ill

YNWA

JFT96

At least he is even more exposed as a complete loon. If the English press has any kind of moral priciples and values, they'll absolute take him apart for the things he has said here. To let him claim that it's ok to print a story without checking if it's really true or not, especially when we're talking about extremely serious accusations against a group of people, is impossible for a profession that survives on the trust of the people.

Just listening to Steve Wrght on Radio 2 and the cunt is on his programme later. Presume he is flogging something if he's on there.

Maybe see if Wrighty asks him about it?

Text 88291

or email steve.wright@bbc.co.uk

edit: HANG ON - i might have misheard - it could be Chevy Chase :D !!!! I will keep listening before we inundate poor old Chevvy with cunt mesages

CONFIRMED THE CUNT IS ON STEVE WRIGHT THIS AFTERNOON IF ANYONE WANTS TO EMAIL OR TEXT THE SHOW ABOUT IT (Chevy is on as well).

What about the families who suffered loss and now there going to hurt all over again, I despise violence but maybe fivetimes is right on this occaison.

The anger and hurt this thing has now done again is just too disgraceful and words fail me.

This thread has made me feel ill

YNWA

JFT96

Spot on Nick. My anger comes from a feeling of "Please not a-fucking-gain!" God knows what the families must be feeling.

We will never forget our friends. We know the truth. We are trying to heal and get on with life. Piss off and leave us a-fucking-lone.

Now where's the thread Tom brought back about giving some dosh to HJC? If we had a justice system in this country the truth would be in the public domain and cunts like this would be inconsequential. This should all be over the HJC shouldn't need to exist.

Guest Devils Advocate

Just reg'd a complaint to the beeb as follows:

"I';m aware thath tehre were a fair number of complaints to the BBC during the summer regarding programmes feathuring the odious Kelvin mcKenzie, indeed I had the misfortune to be watching a completely unrelated program about the second summer of love and up he came on that making sly underhand comments re if it was in teh Sun it was true (this was in relation to the explosion of ecstacy in clubs/raves) but clearly has wider inplications as to "the truth" as published by his newspaper following the hilsborough disaster. Now as someone who lost a family member at hilsborough, and had my father resuscitated, I know well of McKenzie, and so also now to avoid anything he is involved with, but as a license fee payer, and proud supporter of the BBC in general, I find it disgusting thta the BBC allow this man airtime, airtime that he is trying to use to re-write history. Time is a great healer they say and well it may be, however over time, people lose sight of the facts, people are unaware of the facts due to not being around at the time, and by allowing this man to contunie to peddle his lies, the BBC are condoning the actions of his paper in April 1989. Please do not allow the man to continue to try to gloss over the lives and reputations he tried to ruin in 1989, teh boycott against hios paper still runs strong in the city and even among supporters of other clubs. Do not allow the bbc to become tarnished by it.

Please see the latest quotes on the matter from McKenzie here:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=outrage-as-ex%2Dsun-boss-denies-lies%26method=full%26objectid=17926404%26siteid=50061-name_page.html"

this fucker needs to be banned from media, get robert carlyle to do his cracker gig on the cunt

At least he is even more exposed as a complete loon. If the English press has any kind of moral priciples and values, they'll absolute take him apart for the things he has said here. To let him claim that it's ok to print a story without checking if it's really true or not, especially when we're talking about extremely serious accusations against a group of people, is impossible for a profession that survives on the trust of the people.

Things don't work like that in this country unfortunately. If we had a journalistic culture where the values you talk about really mattered to the majority of journalists and newspaper proprietors, at least at a national level, then the Hillsborough story would never have happened. The cunt did it because he knew he'd get away with it.

Things don't work like that in this country unfortunately. If we had a journalistic culture where the values you talk about really mattered to the majority of journalists and newspaper proprietors, at least at a national level, then the Hillsborough story would never have happened. The cunt did it because he knew he'd get away with it.

That's a horrible state of affairs. I just can't comprehend how two modern, democratic and educated nations like Norway and England can have such completely different press-values. If the biggest tabloid in Norway printed a story like that, it would go bankrupt within a month.

That's a horrible state of affairs. I just can't comprehend how two modern, democratic and educated nations like Norway and England can have such completely different press-values. If the biggest tabloid in Norway printed a story like that, it would go bankrupt within a month.

Norway isn't a country full of chavs though. The gutter press exist because there are too many thick cunts who want to read shite.

It's also what keeps TLW going ;-)