You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen (and Ladies) of the GF.

I have a lot of travel to do over the coming few months (including a few holidays) and so I’m looking for some advice on a selection of crime/thriller/whatever novels that I can put on my kindle.

This is for multiple flights and hotel rooms while working so really just looking for easy to read enjoyable stuff.

So give me your suggestions please.

Unweaving the Rainbow and The Selfish Gene.

They may completely alter the way you see life.

I’ve read "Unweaving the Rainbow", but not "The Selfish Gene". Dawkins is of course always very interesting, if a little preachy (I won’t say ironically), but I don’t think you’ve quite picked up on my point of wanting “Easy read” though Stu…..

Haha. I only skim read the opening post. What not easy-reading about genetics?

Have you read John O'Farrell's "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain — Or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots In Charge"?

Not only is it very interesting but it's also quite light and very, very funny.

I've been reading a bit of Haruki Murakami lately and I think he's boss. Quite a simple writing style andeasy to get into, but it's very deceptive as there's a lot of stuff going on beneath the surface. You can basically read as much or as little into him as you want. Really funny at times as well.

I'd recommend 'A Wild Sheep Chase' by him. All of the things I've said in the above paragraph are very much present in it. It kind of reminds me a lot of The Big Lebowski actually. It's a book that's just dying to be made into a Coen Brothers film.

I enjoyed the Mario Puzo novels.

The Sicillian,The last Don and Omertà were decent easy reads.

Goodfellas and Donnie Brasco are worth reading aswell.

I read the Godfather and that was fantastic, but I haven’t read the others you mention by Puzo, so might download one of them. Of the 3 you mention which are the best?

I haven't read Donnie Brasco and I'll assume it's even better then the film, so I'll download that.

Grisham- The Firm is always a winner and have just finished The Broker for the first time.

Failing that I have raved about these three books before by Anon. Its rumoured to be written by Rodriguez and Tarrantino.

www.thebookwithnoname.com

I’ve read a load of the Grisham novels, and lets be honest, there all mainly the same.

- Struggling lawyer hates his job

- Lawyer finds a “cause” he can get his teeth into and spikes his interest back in the law

- “Cause” has huge nasty company in the background pulling strings

- Lawyer, against all the odds, wins the case.

- Lawyer gives up law as he’s disillusioned by it, and drives into the sunset.

Having said that, for the most part they are all very good and are an excellent example of ‘easy to read’. Some books of that nature would be nice as a good legal thriller is always lovely.

"The book with No Name" looks good and so I just tried to buy it, but it's for UK customers only on the kindle store? How fucking annoyings that.

Those Jack Reacher books are quite easy and enjoyable. Got through about 5 of them on holiday. Just have to put Tom Cruise out of your mind.

I’ve read all 17 Reacher novels. Very enjoyable. I will not be going to see Tom Cruise in the movie.

I read the Godfather and that was fantastic, but I haven’t read the others you mention by Puzo, so might download one of them. Of the 3 you mention which are the best?

I haven't read Donnie Brasco and I'll assume it's even better then the film, so I'll download that.

Either of the first two.

The Sicilian is loosely based on the life of http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvatore_Giuliano .

The last Don is modern day and closer to the godfather.

Have you read John O'Farrell's "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain — Or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots In Charge"?

"The Devil All The Time" by Donald Ray Pollock.

Best book I've read for a while.

I’ve trusted the 2 of you and downloaded both. Well, I read the reviews first obviously……

I’ve trusted the 2 of you and downloaded both. Well, I read the reviews first obviously……

Well, like Stu Monty, I skim-read your post. It isn't exactly a laugh-along easy read. It's full of totally doomed people doing awful things to each other and themselves. Some of it is sort of funny. If you have that sort of mind.

I'm just going to copy and paste some posts I've put on here before. It might take you some time to check them all out.

I've seen you mention Dennis Lehane a few times on here Paul, and I agree he is fucking great. I thought his last Kenzie/Gennaro book Moonlight Mile was a little bit dissapointing; not enough Bubba.

If we are talking crime series there are a few which I feel are equal or better to Lehane. I'll include a link to the first book in the series and the Wiki page.

The Charlie Parker books by John Connolly are better in my opinion. Beautifully written.

First book Every Dead Thing: Amazon.co.uk: John Connolly: Books

Wiki John Connolly (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As mentioned by me and a few others James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux novels are ace. The standard I compare others to.

First book The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

Wiki James Lee Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert B.Parker's Spenser Novels. Must be nearly 40 books spanning from 1973 to this 2011 ( he died last year sadly )

First book The Godwulf Manuscript: Amazon.co.uk: Parker: Books

Wiki Robert B. Parker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of the above are better than Lehane, I think.

Equal, or nearly as good as him I would say :

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch novels.

First Book Amazon.co.uk: the black echo: Books

Wiki Michael Connelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar Books.

First Book Deal Breaker: Amazon.co.uk: Harlan Coben: Books

Wiki Harlan Coben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike novels ( a personal favourite )

First Book The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole Novels): Amazon.co.uk: Robert Crais: Books

Wiki Robert Crais - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lawrence Block, Matthew Scudder novels.

First Book The Sins of the Fathers: Amazon.co.uk: Lawrence Block: Books

Wiki Lawrence Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Donald Harstad, Carl Houseman books.

First book Eleven Days: Amazon.co.uk: Donald Harstad: Books

Wiki Donald Harstad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I own every one of the books by those authors, took me years to collect them all. They are all well worth collecting.

Best new Horror author, in my opinion, is Adam Nevill.

Well worth hunting down his first book, which seems to be out of print :

Banquet for the Damned: Amazon.co.uk: Adam L G Nevill: Books

His latest two books are good, also :

Apartment 16: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Nevill: Books

The Ritual: Amazon.co.uk: Adam Nevill: Books

Bill Hussey is also a decent new horror author

Through a Glass, Darkly: Amazon.co.uk: Bill Hussey: Books

And the following are also very good, in the horror genre.

Mr Shivers: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Jackson Bennett: Books

Meat: Amazon.co.uk: Joseph D'Lacey: Books

Twelve by Jasper Kent is ace,

Twelve (Danilov Quintet 1): Amazon.co.uk: Jasper Kent: Books

I assume you have read the Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke? If not, start here :

The Neon Rain: Amazon.co.uk: James Lee Burke: Books

I'd also urge anyone to read the Dresden files by Jim Butcher ( might not seem to be what you are looking for, but they are absolutely superb )

Storm Front (Dresden Case Files): Amazon.co.uk: Jim Butcher: Books

Few more I've thought of :

Anything by Neil Gaiman. Absolute Genius.

I'd start with :

American Gods: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman: Books

Good Omens wrote with Terry Pratchett is great Good Omens: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett: Books

As is Neverwhere :

Neverwhere: The Author's Preferred Text: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman: Books

All worth a read :

Blood Red Rivers: Amazon.co.uk: Jean-Christophe Grange: Books

Flight Of The Storks: Amazon.co.uk: Jean-Christophe Grange: Books

A Tourist in the Yucatan: Amazon.co.uk: James McNay Brumfield: Books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Jackal-Frederick-Forsyth/dp/009955271X/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344874954&sr=1-5

And the books the films ' The Keep ' and ' Angel Heart ' are based on are must reads.

Falling Angel is ace, the following quote tells you all you need to know

" Stephen King defined it as "The Exorcist rewritten by Raymond Chandler "

Falling Angel (No Exit Press 18 Years Classic): Amazon.co.uk: William Hjortsberg: Books

The Keep (Adversary Cycle): Amazon.co.uk: F. Paul Wilson: Books

Dennis Lehane. Legend.

The Given Day: Amazon.co.uk: Dennis Lehane: Books

Shutter Island: Amazon.co.uk: Dennis Lehane: Books

His Kenzie and Gennaro Series are great :

First book : ]A Drink Before The War: Amazon.co.uk: Dennis Lehane: Books

Wiki : Dennis Lehane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Shortest History of Europe, by John Hirst.

Quite the most fascinating, impressive, accessible reduction of the last 2.5 thousand years of the world's most geo-politically unlikely continent, that I have ever read.

Only 170 pages of wonderful, cutting insight.

I've been getting into the Jesse Stone novels by Robert B. Parker, I can highly recommend those.

The Passage by Justin Cronin was also excellent.

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt was boss.

I also endorse Dennis Lehane, James Lee Burke and Michael Connelly as well as George Pelecanos.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm just going to copy and paste some posts I've put on here before. It might take you some time to check them all out.

Unreal. I just don't ever read normal books anymore. At all. I envy you fuckers who read loads of books.