You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Any American Reds on here ??

mht1892

Guest Far and Tether
I couldnt handle big 12 foot bears and all that... thank fuck I live in the UK.

They can be a bit scary. Cougars too' date=' if you're small, or a jogger. They've got nothing on the wolverine, though.

"The wolverine eats anything it can find or kill."

:no

They can be a bit scary. Cougars too, if you're small, or a jogger. They've got nothing on the wolverine, though.

"The wolverine eats anything it can find or kill."

:no

Wolverines---nasty piece of business. When I lived in Eskimo Point (Arviat) the fella that ran the lumber supply/airport services had a trapper licence and trapped for wolverines. He said they were the hardest to get and thus their pelts were the most prized- he then proceeded to open up a huge safe-- no money inside but four wolverine pelts. You should see the claws on those things, almost like bear claws.

whats the best beer in the US then' date=' not Bud surely ??[/quote']

Samuel Adams?

Rolling Rock?

When Canada-US signed a free trade agreement back in the late 80s we were flooded with cheap US beer (Milwaukee's Best, Old Milwaukee and something called Meisterbrau from...yep, Milwaukee). We used to go in the beer store singing God Bless America until we realized that is was only 4% and had to drink more of it.

Bottled guinness , otherwise known as american extra stout, or aes, if, like me you were one of the pissheads who used to work in guinness in liverpool.

It really is a fantastic bevvy, try mixing it with cider and after a few pints of that you'll forget who you are, where you're from and why the fuck am i lying in the middle of the staircase bollock naked?

I don't know if they sell it in Florida, but Fireman's 4 is heaven in a glass, Zigenbock(sp?) is pretty good, Most of the Fat Tire beers are good, and in my experience, try a local brew. They're usually cheaper, and lot's of times you can find excellent beers.

That said, Who want's to purchase a case of The Red McGregor (from the Orkney Brewery) and ship it to me? Obviously I'll pay for everything, and I'll even toss some cash your way. A friend of mine's parents live in Orkney, and his dad always brings a few for us. I love that stuff, the kind a drink that makes my already ridiculously hairy balls even hairier.

Micro Brewing is huge in many cities here in the US: Salem, Oregon. Austin, Texas. Boulder, Denver, and Colorado Springs, Colorado. and of course Boston, Mass. We're starting to produce some quality beers, albeit, on a smaller scale.

Guest Far and Tether
Wolverines---nasty piece of business. When I lived in Eskimo Point (Arviat) the fella that ran the lumber supply/airport services had a trapper licence and trapped for wolverines. He said they were the hardest to get and thus their pelts were the most prized- he then proceeded to open up a huge safe-- no money inside but four wolverine pelts. You should see the claws on those things, almost like bear claws.

I've never seen one, but I've heard this. They can protect their food from Grizzlies and timber wolves, and a single wolverine can bring down a caribou. I've had bear and cougar encounters (unarmed -- me, not the animals), but I don't think I want to meet one of these happy chappies. :no

I've never seen one, but I've heard this. They can protect their food from Grizzlies and timber wolves, and a single wolverine can bring down a caribou. I've had bear and cougar encounters (unarmed -- me, not the animals), but I don't think I want to meet one of these happy chappies. :no

Territorial as well. I recall wolverine urine can repel any bear, but that might be one of those tall Northern tales.

Never had a grizzly encounter, but have come across polar bears (from a distance) and a black bear when I was in a canoe. The bear was getting a drink a I came around the river bend. I was camped almost across from where the bear was on an island in the river. Needless to say I didn't camp there that night and went back to the cabin.

Guest Far and Tether
Territorial as well. I recall wolverine urine can repel any bear, but that might be one of those tall Northern tales.

Never had a grizzly encounter, but have come across polar bears (from a distance) and a black bear when I was in a canoe. The bear was getting a drink a I came around the river bend. I was camped almost across from where the bear was on an island in the river. Needless to say I didn't camp there that night and went back to the cabin.

Yeah, they make me nervous. A friend of mine was prospecting for gold (I kid you not) and he went to get a drink from a stream and looked up at the exact same time as an 800 lb grizzly (hmmm, his estimation) looked up from the other bank. He said the grizzly shook all over like it was having a seizure (startle reflex, I guess?) and they both backed away slowly and stayed thirsty for a while.

Micro Brewing is huge in many cities here in the US: Salem, Oregon. Austin, Texas. Boulder, Denver, and Colorado Springs, Colorado. and of course Boston, Mass. We're starting to produce some quality beers, albeit, on a smaller scale.

Hey ATXRED

Couple of my mates started this

http://blackstarpub.com/

try this spot if it is near your place?

and also didn't u watch the FA quarterfinal against mancs at ringers.

Iam assuming your the guy whom i met there?

Guest Far and Tether

As for beer, yeah, your best bet is local microbreweries as they're called.

I've had beer made by these brewers and it was top. But there are literally thousands of them. Google "[whatever state] breweries" and there's no end to them. I just Googled "Oregon breweries" so I could remember the name of the above and there were tons of others.

That's what I've learned too, only that you should never have eye contact with the bear. Keep your front to it, walk slowly backwards and look down(ish). The most important thing though is to be noisy when you travel in an area where you can meat bears, just to alarm them so that you don't surprise them....

I spend a week this summer in the area where Monsen does most of his training. He has something like 10 months a year out in the wild, many of them in the Femundsmarka/Rogen. I went canoing there and saw a lot of caribou, some otter, a moose (on a distance), heard wolfs, but saw no bear (luckily). Saw some old bear tracks and found some knuckles (which could easily come from something else than a bear victim, most likely from something a glutton has enjoyed).

Any of you seen 'Grizzly Man' yet.

Put me right off bears !

I want a definitive ruling.

Do I look this fucking bear in the eye or not?

I'm going to say no, I know of too many animals that go fucking crazy when you look them in the eyes, and I wouldn't chance it if I were you.

Funny story, I went camping when I was 12 in Southern California. We came back from the lake, and found our camp in shambles. Low and behold, there is a Mama Black bear and her two cubs going through a couple of ice chests. I think we sat and watched them for an hour before they finally left, because noone was sure what to do.

Guest Far and Tether
Any of you seen 'Grizzly Man' yet.

Put me right off bears !

Brilliant film. But makes you realise what kind of animal you're dealing with (including the bizarro two-legged one that shot most of the footage).

Im the monkey with knife' date=' I sliced my hand earlier preparing some food needed stitches.

I was 4 hours down a fucking hospital for a few stitches, The NHS is a joke. :no :no :no[/quote']

Why did you do that hey???

Your supposed to knife the bear, not your hand.