You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Charlie Barnett

mht1892

Those two look like the best of a very good bunch, just think Anderson's end product is better than Hammil at this stage of there careers

I don't think you can judge their "end product" based on last night's game. One thing you can say is that Anderson is a more intelligent player than Hammil is. He makes intelligent runs and he times them well to boot. He also has a better grasp of the best time to play a pass, which comes from an awareness of what other players around you are doing. Hammil might be more technically gifted and exciting to watch, but he'll need reigning in if he's to reach his full potential.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can judge their "end product" based on last night's game.

I read this as meaning that you couldn't judge the player from one full match.

One thing you can say is that Anderson is a more intelligent player than Hammil is. He makes intelligent runs and he times them well to boot. He also has a better grasp of the best time to play a pass, which comes from an awareness of what other players around you are doing.

I read that as saying you have?

Oh and for one thing being more intelligent, making better runs, having better awareness and knowing better when to pass is quite a lot.

I don't think you can judge their "end product" based on last night's game. One thing you can say is that Anderson is a more intelligent player than Hammil is. He makes intelligent runs and he times them well to boot. He also has a better grasp of the best time to play a pass, which comes from an awareness of what other players around you are doing. Hammil might be more technically gifted and exciting to watch, but he'll need reigning in if he's to reach his full potential.

I think we basically agree, Hamill reminds me a bit of Macca, who's end product wasnt always the best but as you say Anderson's final ball or cross is very good

Maybe these 2 will get a chance of some first team action next season.Maybe just a little,(i'm sure somebody had a thread about these 2 last week and was slaughted)
In fairness though the muppet who started that thread said that they were both on a level with Gonzalez.

I think that is a bizarre argument. It's so illogical that I am struggling to seriously debate it.

Would you rather have Danny Guthrie play before Ronaldinho because Danny does have more experience of the Prem and Ronadinho has only proved it in Spain.

I read this as meaning that you couldn't judge the player from one full match.

Then you read it wrong. End product, i.e. crossing, finishing etc. isn't all that easy to judge from one match unless they're exceptional or terrible. But you can at least get an idea of subtler things in their play, like awareness of their team mates and the timing and intelligence of their runs. I'm not "judging" them either, just making observations. It's very hard to tell which players are going to come through to the first team at that age. It could be that some of the lads who were quieter on the night will develop more over the next few years than the ones who looked good (most people thought Welsh would make it, while very few thought Mellor would.) If I were betting on it I'd say that Anderson, Hammil and Antwi look the most promising, though, based partly on what I saw in the game and partly on the reports than have been on the site.

Again you are one of those who has Gonzalez on this high pearch ,you've only seen him a little in spain on the television. You seen EL-Hadji-Diouf play the first game of the world cup and probably went round saying "this players the best around" just wait till the lad arrives give him a season then judge him.

You're mental.

I have an opinion of both players based on what I have seen. I can promise you that La Liga is of a much better stanbard that the reserve league north. You seem to think that because two kids have shown a bit of skill in a limited number of matches, that they should be ranked more highly than an international footballer who is proving to be very useful while playing in possibly the best league in world football.

Gonzalez is an international who has proved he can play at the highest level, although granted h hasn't played in the prem. Hammill and Anderson are young lads who have yet to prove anything. I really hope they do, but they have far more to prove at the moment than Gonzalez. I can't believe you try and compare them like for like.

Also Josemi is playing on sky now against Barca, and doing good.Do you want him back?.Nunez scored for Celta Against Real this season played well in the game.Do you want him Back ?.Listen to my point.

Bergkamp was shit in Italy, does that mean Italian football is better than ours?

Listen to my point.

I am listening to your point, but you aren't getting mine. Gonzalez will be bought for millions of pounds. Would anyone come in now and offer a similar figure for lads that have made less than ten starts each this season for the ressies?

missingthepoint.jpg

Gonzalez is an international player ? i should fuckin think so.Above chile in world rankings are teams like Jamaica,Zimbabwe,Iraq,Bahrain,Zambia,And Scotland.Does this mean Darren Fletcher is a better player because he play's for a higher ranked team?.

Oh those ever so reliable world rankings. Fuck this I'm off the pub.

I've seen Nardiello a couple of times before and I didn't think he was anything above average, but I thought he looked excellent last night - pace, good awareness and adept at creating space for himself. He actually reminded me a little of Morientes once or twice.

Very impressed with all the lads though and they rewarded those who turned up with a fantastic display full off pace, width, discipline, great passing and movement and spirit. I loved every minute. I thought at the beginning that the game may drag a little but how wrong was I? It absolutely flew by - First time I looked at the scoreboard it was 30 - odd minutes!

I think that is a bizarre argument. It's so illogical that I am struggling to seriously debate it.

Would you rather have Danny Guthrie play before Ronaldinho because Danny does have more experience of the Prem and Ronadinho has only proved it in Spain.

yes

Listen lad if Rafa thought that Anderson would not figure next year he would not have had him on the Bench against Benfica.He gave him a taste of things to come.The main thing with the 2 lads is they are english quality players in our reserve league etc(maybe they won't go to the prem but they have great potential like Gonzalez).players like Gonzalez may not settle in England i hope i'm wrong but stop building a lad up because you have seen bit's on tv.I know these lads may not make it but i'd like to see them given a chance as they have great talent and cost us nothing.As for playing in the best league in the world and looked good,i bet you thought "oh that josemi must be good he play's in the best league in the world" and look at Nando.He is a quality player in europe but could not cut it here. Again let's see Gonzalez over a season.

OH MY GOSH YOU'RE BEING SO FUCKING THICK!!

The thing that impressed me most about the match on Thursday was not the individual performances, but the way they tried to play as a team. Some of the one-touch passing was superb and it often produced flowing moves - not least the one that led to Hammill (I think) having that one-on-one with their keeper at the end of the first half after the sublime cross from Anderson. Prior to that chance, we'd turned defence into attack by simply pinging the ball around from player to player and leaving City dizzy.

The other thing that stood out was that the lads all looked hungry and aggressive. Every one of them kept working throughout the match, which is a prerequisit for Rafa. I reckon a good few of these boys will get first team opportunities. How many will take them is another matter entirely, but I can certainly see at least a couple of League Cup appearances for half a dozen of them in the next few seasons. After that of course, it's up to them.

One other thing occured to me whilst watching: how many of those lads have come all the way through The Academy and how many are Rafa signings? I know Rafa has brought in Hobbs, Antwi, Roque, Anderson and, I think, Barnett. The (hopefully) forthcoming success in the Youth Cup seems to be suggesting that Rafa was right to inject more youth talent into the club from the outside. I wonder if changes are afoot at The Academy? Not necessarily in terms of personnel (although I wouldn't rule it out), but more in terms of policy.

The (hopefully) forthcoming success in the Youth Cup seems to be suggesting that Rafa was right to inject more youth talent into the club from the outside. I wonder if changes are afoot at The Academy? Not necessarily in terms of personnel (although I wouldn't rule it out), but more in terms of policy.

Rafa can't make any changes at the Academy, it's in his contract. Unless his contract has had that clause removed of course.

The u18 Academy side are very good anyway to be fair, but where they would have been lacking is in the physical side of things, as they have no natural centre half. Hobbs and Antwi have made the side much more competitive and strong in defence.