You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Definitely on his way now!

Will Rafa stand for this?

CLAIREFONTAINE, France (Reuters) - French striker Djibril Cisse is planning to leave Liverpool in January if coach Rafael Benitez continues to keep him on the substitutes' bench.

"If my situation remains the same by December I'll make my move and I'll go," Cisse told a news conference at France's training camp outside Paris on Thursday.

"Being on the bench annoys me. I know it's selfish but I have to think about my own career. There's a World Cup coming up and I want to be part of it," he said.

Cisse scored twice to help Liverpool win the European Super Cup against CSKA Moscow in August but has been relegated to the bench since.

"I thought things were going to change after the two goals I scored but unfortunately they didn't," he said. "When I'm lucky enough to start a match, they slot me on the right wing which is not my position on the field.

"For the rest of the time I'm only a replacement. If nothing changes before December I'll have to take the decision to leave," he said.

Cisse joined the Merseyside club from AJ Auxerre in 2004 but has never been considered first-choice and Benitez now appears to prefer Peter Crouch in the number nine shirt.

"I would understand the coach's choices if we were league leaders on a string of victories. But it's far from being like this," Cisse said.

"To prove myself I need more time on the pitch. Against Chelsea we were down 4-1 when I came on. What could I do? Scoring a goal wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game," he said.

GREAT ENVY

Asked how he planned to deal with the problem, Cisse said he had no intention of going to see Benitez.

"He (Benitez) is not a character who talks much and I'm not the kind of guy who goes to see the coach because I'm not playing," he said.

Cisse confirmed his first choice of club to move to would be Olympique Marseille.

"We kept in touch with Marseille. It has always been the club of my heart and we were very close to sealing a deal during the summer," he said.

"I'm not ruling out going to Spain but Marseille remains my first choice," he said.

Cisse missed most of the last season after he broke his leg during a league match against Blackburn in October 2004.

He returned for France in May, scoring a goal in the 2-1 victory over Hungary in a friendly game.

"Physically, I'm now back at my best," he said. "In a way this injury made me stronger and it gave a great envy to play."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what - he knows we have a problem with some positions and he still comes on and moans that he is being played out of position.

We play one up front and he cant hold a ball up to save his life. He needs to look in the mirror and realise that in order to have ateam built around you, you actually have to be good.

Hes pissed me off now...

"We kept in touch with Marseille. It has always been the club of my heart and we were very close to sealing a deal during the summer," he said.

Should have fucked off then, then....we might have got a certain decent forward rather than the misfiring ones we have now. Where are all the "Cisse is the future" and "the best" idiots now?? :wallbutt:

I don't blame him. He's stuck on the bench (or out wide) and we ain't scoring any goals. he runs the channels and is best at running onto passes. Seems like we won't play to that strength but we will play to the strengths of Crouch (and that ain't getting us very far).

I don't blame him. He's stuck on the bench (or out wide) and we ain't scoring any goals. he runs the channels and is best at running onto passes. Seems like we won't play to that strength but we will play to the strengths of Crouch (and that ain't getting us very far).

Agree my fine Cockney friend. He's frustrated and being played out of position. Yes, he's a Gallic prima donna, but oh how we raved aboot that when we first signed- a little bit of arrogance would be good.

Cisse is no more a right winger than Biscan is a centre-half. If we need wingers to play 4-5-1 with Peter the Friendly Giant an don't have them thenwe should move on to Plan B and give our 14M striker a run.

These comments won't make a scrap of difference to his future at the club, mainly because he doesn't have one.

Rafa simply doesn't rate him. Rightly or wrongly thats how it is, and Cisse has to be aware of it. I have a certain amount of sympathy for him, and I'd play him up front with Crouch if it were up to me.

I want him to be good enough, I really do. In all honesty though, he's not.

Should he playing at the moment? Yes. Is he good enough to have a future here? It hurts to say as I like the guy, but I don't think so. More importantly, neither does Benitez.

Cisse is no more a right winger than Biscan is a centre-half..

It would make Ged smile to see the hypocrites that used to slag him off for playing Heskey on the wing now blaming the player rather than the tactician.

Ged was clearly a visionairy :sniff:

Sorry but Cisse is easily good enough to make it here, problem is he's not a big man upfront that we can hit long balls to.

I've seen nothing from him so far to suggest he's 'easily good enough to make it here'. He's a flat track bully, who has scored against shite teams but done nothing against any decent defence.

If a defence backs off and stops Cisse running in behind, what threat does he pose? He can't dribble, his control is shite and the only thing he offers is a wild shot from anywhere which generally hits the defender.

I like him, mainly due to the way he battled back so quickly from injury, and the fact he talks a really good game, but we must be watching a different player.

I see someone who is fast, has a powerful shot, but who lacks skill, intelligence and above all, composure.

I've seen nothing from him so far to suggest he's 'easily good enough to make it here'. He's a flat track bully, who has scored against shite teams but done nothing against any decent defence.

If a defence backs off and stops Cisse running in behind, what threat does he pose? He can't dribble, his control is shite and the only thing he offers is a wild shot from anywhere which generally hits the defender.

I like him, mainly due to the way he battled back so quickly from injury, and the fact he talks a really good game, but we must be watching a different player.

I see someone who is fast, has a powerful shot, but who lacks skill, intelligence and above all, composure.

And I watched him play for Auxerre not just the limited chances he's had at Liverpool (many times out of position or stupidly late inthe game) in which he's still managed to score goals.

Ask any striker and they will tell you that confidence is key. Play a striker and he will score goals, let him sit on the bench or play him in midfield and he won't. Even if we only look at his Liverpool goals it's wrong to say he does nothing but hit the ball hard.

So you'll not be throwing a party should Kuyt arrive? :party:

thats an interesting point as I reckon there's more chance of Kuyt comming next season than Owen.

As for Cisse, i dont think he's been treated that well but we have to support the manager's decisions even if we dont agree with them

And I watched him play for Auxerre not just the limited chances he's had at Liverpool (many times out of position or stupidly late inthe game) in which he's still managed to score goals.

Ask any striker and they will tell you that confidence is key. Play a striker and he will score goals, let him sit on the bench or play him in midfield and he won't. Even if we only look at his Liverpool goals it's wrong to say he does nothing but hit the ball hard.

Bruno Cheyrou was class in France, but it didn't make him good enough for us. I'm only judging him as a Liverpool player, and I've seen nothing to suggest that he's going to be the man we hoped he'd be.

Fair point about the confidence thing, until he gets a run of games up front we won't know for sure if he's up to it.

He definitely does lack composure though, his main thought when one and one is to twat it as hard as can rather than coolly slot it past the keeper. I'd like him to show the same composure 1 on 1 that he does with his penalties (which are cool as fuck).

I'd love him to be good enough, I just don't think he is.

I do agree that he should be playing at this moment though, as his pace and threat in behind will compliment Crouch. As a pair it could work well.

At the moment teams can defend high to keep Crouch away from the danger area. If Cisse was there on his own they'd defend deep. With the pair of them, what do they do? It gives us more options and despite the reservations I have over Cisse, I would still play him right now.

As for Cisse, i dont think he's been treated that well but we have to support the manager's decisions even if we dont agree with them

Does that mean we have to pretend he's shit as well though?

Just like Baros was great when he wasn't playing and shit when we were selling him.

Or Crouch was amazing because we were buying him.

Or Figo was quality when it looked like he was coming but a money grabbing mercenary after one last pay day who wasn't that good anyway when he went to Inter?

thats an interesting point as I reckon there's more chance of Kuyt comming next season than Owen.

I'm not sure now we've Crouch (and Moro). Kuyt hasn't the technique of a Kewell or Simao and his game is mostly about running (in a Cisse at Auxerre vein) and being hardworking/strong.

I've seen nothing from him so far to suggest he's 'easily good enough to make it here'.

I agree. The same goes to Morientes. What we’ve seen from the two is far from good enough.. We seem to accept that Morientes needs time to adapt to the English game. Let us give Cisse some time too. There’s nothing we can do about it before next year anyway, so it’s no use whining. We’re stuck with both Cisse and Morientes for another three months.

So far it looks like a big mistake selling Baros and keeping Cisse though. I hope they’ll prove me wrong.

Bruno Cheyrou was class in France, but it didn't make him good enough for us. I'm only judging him as a Liverpool player, and I've seen nothing to suggest that he's going to be the man we hoped he'd be.

Fair point about the confidence thing, until he gets a run of games up front we won't know for sure if he's up to it.

He definitely does lack composure though, his main thought when one and one is to twat it as hard as can rather than coolly slot it past the keeper. I'd like him to show the same composure 1 on 1 that he does with his penalties (which are cool as fuck).

I'd love him to be good enough, I just don't think he is.

I do agree that he should be playing at this moment though, as his pace and threat in behind will compliment Crouch. As a pair it could work well.

At the moment teams can defend high to keep Crouch away from the danger area. If Cisse was there on his own they'd defend deep. With the pair of them, what do they do? It gives us more options and despite the reservations I have over Cisse, I would still play him right now.

Is it fair to say that if you're relaxed then it's easier to stay composed?

Would it also be fair to say that if you knew you were going to be given a fair chance to show what you could you'd be more relaxed?

The club has done everything but make sure Cisse feels relaxed and comfortable as a member of the team so how can we possibly expect him to show what he can do on the pitch?

If your boss said to you that he wants to get rid of you and you wanted to prove him wrong but he refused to give you a chance or when he did he put you in another department and expected you to acheive the same results would you feel happy, comfortable or relaxed?