You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) - EL Quarter Final, 1st leg - Thu 11th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

On the bright side if us and West Ham go out and the German clubs do well, maybe Bayern beating Arsenal aswell and the mancs had a late season run and beat Villa to 5th our shit performances could well mean 5th doesn't get a CL spot which would be amausing

On 12/04/2024 at 00:21, an tha said:

Anyone know what is what in the upper kemlyn - the midfle block towards the back had a section surrounded in a 'U' shape by what looked like some kind of stewards in hi vis vests that inside them about half the seats tops were occupied.

Never noticed it before...

My lad said there’s been away fans in that section at some of the European games this year. Said they’re corporates but somehow end up with aways.  

15 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The performances have gone a downhill after what some here have called the adrenaline lift - that is for sure.

And the team looks less cohesive by the week.

Klopp is a guy, and his successful sides similar, in that they go 110% at their best.

He may be able to still be good enough at 90%, or even 80% - but this team is not. 

I just think that the whole squad is knackered, I don't think the performance is anything to do with the suggestion that they've mentally given up. It's virtually impossible to fight on four fronts with the size of squad we've got, and that's before the injuries take hold. We should have been more pragmatic and prioritised, but fully understand that Klopp wouldn't accept anything less than 100% from the players. That may well bite us on the arse in the run-in but we aren't out of either competition. Yet.

• Upvote 1

Most of our players have had the odd month off injured though. Only a few have played most of the games. 

Who knows why this is happening right now, probably a mix of a few things. Klopp leaving, some players not being as good as we thought they were, injuries disrupting our flow etc. 

Let's hope they can somehow pull themselves together and start performing. It's now or never. 

• Upvote 1

Little bit of bad squad management for me in EL this year. If Danns and Clarke were good enough to play against Chelsea in a cup final, they surely are ready to play some part against a 6th place Italian side. And a shit Mancs too. 

I felt Danns should have come on against the Mancs. Remember the Macheda cunt who scored that goal against Villa?

I hope they play on Thursday. We cannot keep complaining about tiredness for players and then not play these talented kids in a (relatively) meaningless game.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Street Preacher said:

Most of our players have had the odd month off injured though. Only a few have played most of the games. 

Who knows why this is happening right now, probably a mix of a few things. Klopp leaving, some players not being as good as we thought they were, injuries disrupting our flow etc. 

Let's hope they can somehow pull themselves together and start performing. It's now or never. 

You'd have thought any 'Klopp leaving' hangover would have appeared before now though. It is more likely tiredness and players playing when nowhere near fit enough. We will get results such as this when we have a squad far better than it's individual parts but a few parts need oiling,or resting in our case.

I will also say that we took a European game far too lightly here,even though it's understandable given how the club is set up versus other sides in the PL.

24 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You'd have thought any 'Klopp leaving' hangover would have appeared before now though. It is more likely tiredness and players playing when nowhere near fit enough. We will get results such as this when we have a squad far better than it's individual parts but a few parts need oiling,or resting in our case.

I will also say that we took a European game far too lightly here,even though it's understandable given how the club is set up versus other sides in the PL.

How Atalanta set up is not totally alien to us. De Zerbi does it a lot which might explain why Klopp struggles against him. 

I do agree we took it far too lightly. When Klopp is saying he started Jones for minutes in a European quarter final shows a little bit of arrogance in my opinion. A lot agree as its league or bust for some, myself a little bit too, but it wasn't Klopps greatest night at Liverpool in both selection and tactically.

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Little bit of bad squad management for me in EL this year. If Danns and Clarke were good enough to play against Chelsea in a cup final, they surely are ready to play some part against a 6th place Italian side. And a shit Mancs too. 

I felt Danns should have come on against the Mancs. Remember the Macheda cunt who scored that goal against Villa?

I hope they play on Thursday. We cannot keep complaining about tiredness for players and then not play these talented kids in a (relatively) meaningless game.

I think that’s a reality of top level football, unfortunately. The kids will only play out of necessity even with Klopp. Quansah stepped in for Matip and Bradley for Trent but Clark and Danns were jettisoned despite the questionable form of some who replaced them. I’m surprised they didn’t get twenty minutes here and there.

With Klopp going, it could be the last we properly see of those two lads depending on what the new manager wants. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, skend04 said:

I just think that the whole squad is knackered, I don't think the performance is anything to do with the suggestion that they've mentally given up. It's virtually impossible to fight on four fronts with the size of squad we've got, and that's before the injuries take hold. We should have been more pragmatic and prioritised, but fully understand that Klopp wouldn't accept anything less than 100% from the players. That may well bite us on the arse in the run-in but we aren't out of either competition. Yet.

Theres nothing wrong with the size of the squad. 

• Upvote 2

Also, this whole they are a 6th place Italian side. They were in the Champions League semis 3 years ago. We didnt take the game seriously, but this isnt some shit club. And they play the 2nd best football in terms of style in Serie A. 

• Upvote 1

They were obviously no slouches, yet I can’t understand that we wouldn’t have checked them out first and set a team that would be able to cope with their style.

Obviously, had we capitalised on the first ten minutes or so and scored, either through Nunez or the unlucky Elliot, then we could have been looking at a completely different scenario, but there still may have been the defensive sloppiness that has pervaded our play all season, and also the profligacy shown by our attacking play, so the result is one that, as several have said, has been coming.

Saw a stat on the BBC earlier saying we were No1 for shots taken (670’ish) in the league this season, yet 10th for actually converting them? Says a lot.

23 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Endless fucking internationals mean a lot of our players have played about 10 extra games this season and caused a lot of injury absences.

Klopp’s playing style has brought great success. But its demands also leads to more muscle injuries.

The more time has passed since Thursday the more pissed off I am. Comprehensively fucking outplayed from start to finish. Pathetic really. No attempt to raise our game, no answers to a simple man marking scheme, no urgency, nothing.