You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

15 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Just throwing this out there would Ljinders  be prepared to be Xabis number 2 if he doesn't fancy the top job himself,  it would offer a level of continuity. 

I don't think he would personally but you never know .

What do you mean you never know? There's literally zero reason to state that you are leaving now of all times if there is any remote consideration whatsoever for staying. It's basically the same as people coming out and saying Klopp will change his mind if we win the quadruple and stay. People don't say they are leaving mid season, potentially interrupting the teams vibe and causing a media shit storm for shits and giggles. They are all gone, end of, and we will be replacing the entire staff.

On 31/01/2024 at 11:53, Lee909 said:

I'm not saying he is the right guy but i'm wondering what people expect from him. He doesn't have the biggest of squads to be juggling European football with league games and had the heart of his midfield ripped out and in Caicedo case quite late. At its not like Brighton will go out and buy ready made replacements for him. I think they knew this year would be tough and top 8 would be the aim alongside the knockout stages of the Europa league. 

His results after the Europa League and the teams he has played have not helped them one bit

A Bournemouth 3-1 win

H Liverpool 2-2

H Fulham 1-1

H Sheff Utd 1-1

A Chelsea 3-2 L

A Arsenal 2-0 L

As i said i'm not saying he is the guy but im unsure what people expect sometimes from the likes of Thomas Frank, De Zerbi etc. Thomas Frank has one of the smallest budgets in the league, 17th lowest wage budget and has had them. yes they have struggled a bit this year but they lost Ivan Toney for all bar one game and then lost Mbuemo a month ago. He sets his teams up well and yes they are physical, play fairly direct and into Toney but what really do people expect with the squad he has. If he tried to do what Kompany does with Burnley they'd have been relegated years ago just like Burnley will be this year. He has finished 9th, 8pts behind us and 12 off the Champions league places last year and 13th the year before. its fair to say this years struggles have been the injury to Mbeumo and Toney suspension. De Zerbi lost Caicedo and Mac Callister and was bought Milner,Dahoud and Baleba and they are obviously telling him when and when he can't play Ferguson as they want to limit his minutes and he's resorting to playing Welbeck up top

For the Liverpool top job, I expect trophies, or be HUGELY exceeding expectations at a lower club. Like significantly. I don't care what the excuses are. Lot's of shit managers had nice little spells with mid table clubs, that doesn't make you suitable for Liverpool. One of those shit managers took over United after Fergie left. So basically, if you haven't won anything, over achieve like fuck at your mid table club, and keep over achieving. Or stay away.

I get the risks with Xabi, with Gerrard a recent example of an appointment that could have gone horribly wrong, but not only is he doing the grossly over achieving at a mid table club part, he's got genuine connections to the club, since personality should IMO be a huge part of the recruitment. If Xabi wins the Bundesliga, there should literally be only one interview booked. I don't think any of these mid table EPL managers who've had zero actual success, only a nice bit of form with some mid table clubs while playing some nice football should be seriously considered. In fact the only EPL manager I even remotely like for the job is Postecoglu, because I genuinely think he has the charisma, and personality for it. That's about it.

Reckon Jurgen will end up at Atletico Madrid, a proper club, a challenge, somewhere he’ll be given a time. The Real or Barca jobs aren’t for him. 
I’m surprised we haven’t been linked with this Iraola fella at Bournemouth when you see some if the names in the betting. Not advocating it like.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bayern might be massive cunts, but with the financial advantage they have over everyone else in Germany, and the players Nagelsmann had in that squad, there's absolutely no way Dortmund should have been able to take the league to the last day there.

He underachieved there and was rightly sacked for it. The way he talks and acts off the pitch makes him sound like a German Brendan Rodgers.

So how does that differ to when we hired klopp?

They all have set backs at some point. It's how you handle the set backs that is a measure of the coach.  If we fired managers like Munich do, then klopp would have gone in 21 and 23. I just don't think it will be that black and white at all. I appreciate you might think he's a shit coach, but he has a body of work that suggests he's not. The best coaches in the world are unattainable - one is leaving us, one is at the worlds biggest club, the other works for a state who believe they can buy their way to becoming the world's biggest club. Everyone else? There's loads of questions about all of them. My gut reaction (as I posted on one of the other threads) there's about 10 coaches out there who'll be assessed. I would guess FSGs process will likely get them to nagelsmann. He wouldn't be my choice. I just think it's where the club will end up and I don't see nagelsmanns time at munich made him damage goods, it just made him another on the list of flawed candidates. 

14 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I thought he was building a big house near frankfurt, and apparently only a 30 minute drive from the German fa headquarters 

He is building a house in Germany 

I think Lawrenson was talking crap about the building the  house in Spain. I think he meant he was refurbish a house as the papers showed a 3 million house he's bought in Santa Ponsa in Mallorca 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2022/06/09/102271/juergen-klopp-purchases-mallorca-home.html

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Something about Nagelsmann makes me think he wouldn't pass FSG's sniff test, personality-wise.

It was inevitable that a manager spoken about that glowingly by so many people, who'd had a nothing career as a player, and rocketed from Hoffenheim to Bayern Munich would develop a bit of an ego but hopefully his experience at Bayern would have grounded him.

Talented coach who needs the right club, and the right structure above him to flourish, was never a manager for a club looking for short sharp bursts of success (Chelsea, Bayern, Barca, PSG, Madrid etc) and would far suit a Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Dortmund type club.

Hopefully he's learnt to stop gossiping to his missus as well.

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It was inevitable that a manager spoken about that glowingly by so many people, who'd had a nothing career as a player, and rocketed from Hoffenheim to Bayern Munich would develop a bit of an ego but hopefully his experience at Bayern would have grounded him.

Talented coach who needs the right club, and the right structure above him to flourish, was never a manager for a club looking for short sharp bursts of success (Chelsea, Bayern, Barca, PSG, Madrid etc) and would far suit a Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Dortmund type club.

Hopefully he's learnt to stop gossiping to his missus as well.

That's all sound logic, but I don't like his face.

In the words of Joe Cabot "You don't need proof when you have instinct."

If we are assuming FSG will look for similar things than they did with Klopp or Rodgers, it will be someone who presents very well. Rodgers is probably phenomenal at interviews and has loads of irrational confidence and Klopp is Klopp. One was the real deal and one wasnt but both projected something. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we are assuming FSG will look for similar things than they did with Klopp or Rodgers, it will be someone who presents very well. Rodgers is probably phenomenal at interviews and has loads of irrational confidence and Klopp is Klopp. One was the real deal and one wasnt but both projected something. 

Be interesting to see how John Henry deals with how good looking Xabi is. He must have noticed the looks Linda gave Jurgen, this would be up a level.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Be interesting to see how John Henry deals with how good looking Xabi is. He must have noticed the looks Linda gave Jurgen, this would be up a level.

I wonder if BRodge ever took a run at Linda. The guy was a menace for a period there.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Rodgers and Martinez topped their list before Klopp so it's scary how this could go if they have some mad profile and metrics going on.

Jesse March?!!!!! Aaaahhhh 

14 hours ago, Dundalis said:

What do you mean you never know? There's literally zero reason to state that you are leaving now of all times if there is any remote consideration whatsoever for staying. It's basically the same as people coming out and saying Klopp will change his mind if we win the quadruple and stay. People don't say they are leaving mid season, potentially interrupting the teams vibe and causing a media shit storm for shits and giggles. They are all gone, end of, and we will be replacing the entire staff.

But we don't know do we? This time a week ago pretty much we were all stopped in our tracks. I watched Ljinders at the match the other night and he seemed more animated on the touchline than I've seen in a while. If Klopp decided maybe Alonso needs another year and Ljinders could help with the transition then I think they will want to do what's best for the club. Mind you, I'm still clinging on to the hope that Klopp after nights like the other night finds a new wave of energy and thinks fuck it, I can't let this go yet. You just never ever know. 

Maybe I'm stupid. I am stupid. 

• Haha 1