You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Fulham 3 (Dec 3 2023)

tlw content

image.jpeg

Was this our “Aston Villa away” for this season? We won’t know until May but it definitely feels like this might have some significance. It was a day when we never really got going but it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. We finished like a runaway train and Fulham were left in a bloodied heap on the tracks.

It will mean nothing if we don’t take advantage of it, but it feels big because we don’t tend to have too many of these games at Anfield, but we found a way to get through it unscathed. Home games are usually easy. We win by two or three goals and don’t have to sweat much over the result.

It’s reached a point where I’m taking these wins for granted and I didn’t see any way Fulham were leaving Anfield with anything. So for us to be staring down the barrel of a defeat with a few minutes left felt like a massive blow. With our away form being somewhat patchy, we absolutely can’t afford to drop points at home to anyone really, let alone bottom half teams. Yet it looked like we would.

Imagine the mood today if we hadn’t turned this around. We wouldn’t be dreaming of a possible title that’s for sure. But we did turn it around and we are still dreaming of it. And wins like this give you that extra spring in your step on a Monday, and I’m sure it gives the players a little extra belief in themselves and what they can achieve. It’s still a long shot, we’re not favourites and nor should we be. But we’ve played 14 games and we’re above Man City. That’s a better situation that any of us expected.

Wins like this help to create belief among the squad and also the fans. The next time we’re in a tight spot we’ll draw from this experience. This is a new team but they’ve had a number of tricky situations to deal with already and they’ve come through all of them really.

They had to play with ten men against Bournemouth and Newcastle but they got the results anyway. They had to play with nine at Spurs and were a last ditch freak own goal away from getting a point, despite having a legitimate goal scandalously not awarded. We lost the day, but it was a test they passed with flying colours.

We went a goal down away at City and came back to get a point and end their 100% home record in 2023. Even Luton, as shit as it was, can be spun into a positive in the sense that they managed to avoid losing the game when it looked like they would suffer a humiliating defeat. The draw was pretty humiliating, but they pulled that one out of the fire late to get a point.

Then there’s this. Conceding late on to fall behind on a freezing day in which the crowd had offered virtually nothing. Everything was flat, we were heading for a result that would have really damaged morale and the faith the fans have in the team, but instead we ended up with a win and one of the most enjoyable five minutes we’ve had at Anfield in a good while. The crowd had barely made a peep for 80 odd minutes, but Anfield was rocking by the end.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Sitting in a freezing airport in the Canadian Arctic (-17C and that’s actually mild) I love hearing about the Baltic weather…

The look on Marco Silvia’s face was the look on almost every manager who comes to Anfield and think they’re getting something and then get turned over. No other stadium comes close to the advantage we have. 

Even in Baltic conditions!

• Upvote 10

I like how balanced and rational these reports usually are. As rightly pointed out, the criticism of Kelleher and Nunez has been over the top these past couple days. I'm with you on Mount Darwin or whatever you'd like to name the hill, Dave.

I also appreciate the love you showed to Kostas. Another player who until recently was suffering excessive abuse for the cardinal sin of not being Robertson.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Sitting in a freezing airport in the Canadian Arctic (-17C and that’s actually mild) I love hearing about the Baltic weather…

The look on Marco Silvia’s face was the look on almost every manager who comes to Anfield and think they’re getting something and then get turned over. No other stadium comes close to the advantage we have. 

Even in Baltic conditions!

It's cold, get over it!

As for Silva he looked like he wanted to start a fight after Trent scored but then I read that he knew the game was gone so more likely a Jim Bowen moment.

Wrap up well fella.

3 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I also appreciate the love you showed to Kostas. Another player who until recently was suffering excessive abuse for the cardinal sin of not being Robertson.

I'm 100% with you but nevertheless it was great to see Robbo giving Trent a massive bear hug on Inside Anfield, with what appear to be two fully functioning shoulders ☺️

Everything about Darwin's game is top class apart from the finishing.

I'm not worried about him and love watching him play but for that one off the bar there was a big space in the goal to put that in and he didn't hit it because he wanted to leather it in. An inch lower and it looks spectacular but hitting it the way he did made not hitting the net more likely.

He contributes enough that he's still worth his place but if he fixes the finishing he'll be world class.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's no coincidence that even when Darwin isn't scoring we still win games, he makes chances gets chances makes defending him a nightmare which creates confusion and space for others, there is no defender out there thinking I will let him run off me cos he is shit. I might be controversial here but Haaland in theory is easier to defend, stay tight to him  you need strength v him and if you cut off the pass to him he offers nothing but you have to concentrate every second they have the ball. Darwin is more of a knackering menace and can create his own chances as well as link up play. Proper team striker.

2 hours ago, bossy said:

I’m planting that Darwin flag with you Dave but the hair do, no, sorry, it has to go. 

Count me in on the Darwin Ridge battle.

And he can keep his cute little braids too. Only man alive to dress like a school girl and still look lika a predator - Hombre!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Count me in on the Darwin Ridge battle.

And he can keep his cute little braids too. Only man alive to dress like a school girl and still look lika a predator - Hombre!

There you go, someone who gets it. Proud to stand alongside you on Darwin Hill.

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

There you go, someone who gets it. Proud to stand alongside you on Darwin Hill.

Love his hairdo, reminds me of some freak psycho from one of those old horror movies.

My nams is Darwin Bates, I'm just a normal guy

My nams is Darwin Bates, I'm just a normal guy

Great report Dave,  I'm with you on that hill he's been fucking great this season and I really enjoy watching him , if he wasn't pulling his tripe out for the team then I could understand the hate I really could .

Have we all forget Peter Crouch who went through hell before he started banging them in he never hid or shirked responsibility for leading the line .

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Great report Dave,  I'm with you on that hill he's been fucking great this season and I really enjoy watching him , if he wasn't pulling his tripe out for the team then I could understand the hate I really could .

Have we all forget Peter Crouch who went through hell before he started banging them in he never hid or shirked responsibility for leading the line .

Quite right. And Luis Suarez netted 15 league goals in his first 1 1/2 season for us. Darwin is now at 13, his goals pr. minute played being quite a bit better than Luis. We just have to wait until Darwin starts missing the woodwork.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Barnesey said:

I felt after the Citeh game we should shot from outside the box more often. Felt we overdid it a tad Sunday but the result suggests otherwise. 

Yeah, there were a few times against City when we blew good shooting opportunities. I was going on about Robbie Fowler and how he would have buried those chances. 

We started off the same with Fulham and one moment in particular when Nunez tried to play in Mo with the goal gaping. Maybe the long delay with their goalie injury allowed Klopp to have a word,  I dunno, but after that we were more decisive in those areas and I struggle to remember a game where we scored 4 worldies from distance before 

7 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Crouch banging them in, not sure about that?

He scored 8, 9 and 5 goals in the league. 

I was not a big fan of Nunez but he’s been good this year and he’s an exciting player.

I agree with Dave about the shot on the post, it’s sheer bad luck. He did the right thing. 

But, Dave has to have a word with him about his hair style Kids are watching that …

• dave u unpinned this topic