You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) - Sun 13th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Thought Konate and Van Dijk played well today. Midfield should have helped out the full backs who were being doubled up on by Chilwell and James. Still the old problems from last year though - we just seem to stop moving off the ball and stand there watching. Overall, I enjoyed the game and am not as downbeat as some after watching that. This is a point away against a Pochettino team, and one looking to impress their manager at that.

Anyway, get some bodies in. On to Bournemouth. Beat them and 4 points from 2 games isn’t awful. 

I said in the general football thread that it’s bed wetting to have City winning the league after 45 minutes of the season. The same applies to us. Our first 90 minutes, finding our feet, fitness and rhythm, won’t wholly define our season. 

5 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Two pure dogshite sides.  A six doesn’t fix this absolute mess.

Exactly, the way we play is to wide open we attack with basically 9 players if we get a 6 we will still attack with 8 players massive gaps allover the place the 6 would need to have the engine of jet plane to cover it all and protect the 2 cb's

17 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I’m sorry but I’m just not seeing this konate that gets lauded in here. He goes charging out of position for balls he’s got no chance of getting leaving massive holes behind him. He just can’t read the game at all.  He’s the one we need to be looking at improving on

He made a LOT of important interceptions today. He also made some mistakes but the defence was under immense pressure because we don't have a functioning midield. The back line is protected by Wee Jock Mac Allister - fine footballer but not exactly prime Fabinho in that position. 

As I said I think he did quite well today. 

Thought we were second best after the opening period but would have won with competent refereeing.

Under the rules of the game we had a definite pen not given.

Had the lines been drawn right for Salah's offside I suspect he'd have still just been off but they might have overlapped slightly which would have put him on. The lines drawn tried to go from his hand to make sure of no overlap but went even further up the pitch than that.

It was no surprise to see Darren England was VAR.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, etho said:

There's some characters in here haha. Konate is absolutely brilliant and we likely don't get a point without him today. Not quite sure what more people want in a defender. Vvd was good as well. 

They're just hysterical crying bastards. You'd think it was the end of the world when someone mishits a pass here.

5 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

Exactly, the way we play is to wide open we attack with basically 9 players if we get a 6 we will still attack with 8 players massive gaps allover the place the 6 would need to have the engine of jet plane to cover it all and protect the 2 cb's

Thats been my main worry for about 3 years - actually basically since VVD was assaulted by Pickford. 

Kloppball is immense when it works but it is super finicky - either everything about it works or nothing works. Since VVD's injury and things that followed on plus the aging of the squad ect we've had too much of nothing about it working. We saw plenty of it today. 

On reflection a bit after this one, there's a couple things that we did that were more logical than I gave credit for in the heat of watching and they allowed us to exist.

We gave up loads of possession which is rare for us and I think it's what we tried to do. We had essentially only two defensive profiles on the pitch in van Dijk and Konaté and had we tried to take the game to them, we'd have been demolished on the counter.

So we played more in a block and we weren't good at it, they passed through it the whole game, but at least they weren't behind us every single time and we didn't give up massive chances.

Had we come into this game with a more normal midfield setup, we would not have played this way and watched them laser balls through the lines every time. I think this may have been more of a needs must.

8 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Looked better when Salah went off - he was shite second half along with Trent.

We’ve signed a super player in MacAllister just need to have him playing higher up. 
Having no control at all in midfield is giving me kittens that corner at the end when Chelsea nearly won it - WFT!

Agree, and I said it was a good decision when it

was made.His goals and assists are extremely valuable, but general play has been poor for a long spell. And pace seems to be going downhill. 

16 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Thought Konate and Van Dijk played well today. Midfield should have helped out the full backs who were being doubled up on by Chilwell and James. Still the old problems from last year though - we just seem to stop moving off the ball and stand there watching. Overall, I enjoyed the game and am not as downbeat as some after watching that. This is a point away against a Pochettino team, and one looking to impress their manager at that.

Its settling with me and I'm starting to perk up about it. LOTS of work to do and players to bring in but HOPEFULLY onwards and upwards.