You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Orcas take down Blue Whale!

dockers_strike

I know Orcas or Killer Whales have been known to predate on Humpback and Grey whale calfs but an adult Blue!? Fuck me, those things are the biggest animal to ever have lived on Earth. The link below requires a subscription, the rest is lifted from the Wail (no play on words intended!).

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12906

Orcas – also known as killer whales – are hunting down and killing blue whales, the largest mammal to have ever lived on Earth, according to experts.

Staff at the Cetacean Research Centre in Western Australia spotted orcas hunting and killing an adult blue whale off Bremer Bay while carrying out annual research.  

The adult blue whale measured between 60 and 70 feet long, according to the experts, although the majestic creatures can reach lengths of 110 feet compared with orcas' maximum length of 30 feet. 

In all, 14 orcas were savaging the adult blue whale, with female predators 'leading the attack' in the hunt for flesh in March 2019. 

Another blue whale calf was taken and killed by a group of orcas two weeks later, the researchers said. 

Orcas are one of the most recognisable marine mammals, with their distinctive black and white bodies, but they're also highly intelligent and able to coordinate hunting tactics like a pack of wolves. 

Despite often being referred to as 'killer whales', orcas are actually the largest member of the dolphin family.

The observations by Cetacean Research Centre (CETREC) staff occurred in March and April of 2019, but the discovery has only just been detailed in a new paper published this week in the journal Marine Mammal Science

The team reported an additional event of orcas preying on a blue whale calf in March 2021.  

Killer whales are known to harass and attack blue whales, but the confirmed kill of a healthy adult blue whale is a world-first.

'This is the biggest predation event on this planet – the biggest apex predator taking down the biggest prey,' study co-author Robert Pitman at Oregon State University’s Marine Mammal Institute told National Geographic.

'We don’t have dinosaurs anymore, so for me as a whale biologist and a zoologist it’s an amazing thing.

'These killer whale groups live for human life spans or longer, and so they hunt together cooperatively for decades and decades. 

'You can learn a lot about how to work together when you practice together as a team.' 

Orcas are the apex predators of the ocean, and are known to prey on a wide variety of species, including the calves of humpback and grey whales. 

When hunting larger prey, orcas take turns ramming their victim at 35 miles per hour, as well as biting its flesh and blocking its blowhole until it eventually drowns.  

However, it was not previously known if killer whales would target and kill the blue whale, the largest animal known to have ever existed

59 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I know Orcas or Killer Whales have been known to predate on Humpback and Grey whale calfs but an adult Blue!? Fuck me, those things are the biggest animal to ever have lived on Earth. The link below requires a subscription, the rest is lifted from the Wail (no play on words intended!).

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12906

Orcas – also known as killer whales – are hunting down and killing blue whales, the largest mammal to have ever lived on Earth, according to experts.

Staff at the Cetacean Research Centre in Western Australia spotted orcas hunting and killing an adult blue whale off Bremer Bay while carrying out annual research.  

The adult blue whale measured between 60 and 70 feet long, according to the experts, although the majestic creatures can reach lengths of 110 feet compared with orcas' maximum length of 30 feet. 

In all, 14 orcas were savaging the adult blue whale, with female predators 'leading the attack' in the hunt for flesh in March 2019. 

Another blue whale calf was taken and killed by a group of orcas two weeks later, the researchers said. 

Orcas are one of the most recognisable marine mammals, with their distinctive black and white bodies, but they're also highly intelligent and able to coordinate hunting tactics like a pack of wolves. 

Despite often being referred to as 'killer whales', orcas are actually the largest member of the dolphin family.

The observations by Cetacean Research Centre (CETREC) staff occurred in March and April of 2019, but the discovery has only just been detailed in a new paper published this week in the journal Marine Mammal Science

The team reported an additional event of orcas preying on a blue whale calf in March 2021.  

Killer whales are known to harass and attack blue whales, but the confirmed kill of a healthy adult blue whale is a world-first.

'This is the biggest predation event on this planet – the biggest apex predator taking down the biggest prey,' study co-author Robert Pitman at Oregon State University’s Marine Mammal Institute told National Geographic.

'We don’t have dinosaurs anymore, so for me as a whale biologist and a zoologist it’s an amazing thing.

'These killer whale groups live for human life spans or longer, and so they hunt together cooperatively for decades and decades. 

'You can learn a lot about how to work together when you practice together as a team.' 

Orcas are the apex predators of the ocean, and are known to prey on a wide variety of species, including the calves of humpback and grey whales. 

When hunting larger prey, orcas take turns ramming their victim at 35 miles per hour, as well as biting its flesh and blocking its blowhole until it eventually drowns.  

However, it was not previously known if killer whales would target and kill the blue whale, the largest animal known to have ever existed

Where's the video?

I hope Rico negs you.

27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They just eat the tongue of humpback calves. Dont know if they have a taste for liver as well!

I'm not sure but i think I saw that they do, like some animals after a kill they make sure they scoff the offal first as thats where the best nutrients are, tasty, though with no onions is a bit much. 

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

They just eat the tongue of humpback calves. Dont know if they have a taste for liver as well!

Ive just seen that, pretty gruesome as is the world of animals, and in reading the article it mentioned the Orcas attacking Great White Sharks and i think that's where they only eat its liver. 

• Upvote 1

Twats.

I read somewhere that dolphins are the only animals except humans that kill for fun.

Have always thought the intelligence angle was overrated too, can't be that fucking smart if you try to walk up a beach with no legs.

Read this all back in a David Attenborough voice.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Twats.

I read somewhere that dolphins are the only animals except humans that kill for fun.

Have always thought the intelligence angle was overrated too, can't be that fucking smart if you try to walk up a beach with no legs.

Read this all back in a David Attenborough voice.

I gather Orcas are dolphins, just fucking big ones. They arent members of the whale genus.