You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New TV

RedKnight

What do people reckon to the 55" or 65" version of this- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-AU7100-UHD-Smart/dp/B08Y756PNJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2TBK7ZGIMKIAE

Money's not particularly an issue, but we're not exactly videophiles so just a decent TV will do and spending several hundred extra to get a top notch model probably isn't worthwhile. Reviews seems OK, but just wondered if anyone could spot any big potential drawbacks?

16 minutes ago, Mudface said:

What do people reckon to the 55" or 65" version of this- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-AU7100-UHD-Smart/dp/B08Y756PNJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2TBK7ZGIMKIAE

Money's not particularly an issue, but we're not exactly videophiles so just a decent TV will do and spending several hundred extra to get a top notch model probably isn't worthwhile. Reviews seems OK, but just wondered if anyone could spot any big potential drawbacks?

In a nutshell...

Screenshot 2022-10-26 113658.png

Buyer's advice...

Screenshot 2022-10-26 113841.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2022 at 11:24, Mudface said:

Bought the 65" version of this from Amazon at the weekend, very nice, pretty impressed so far.

I'm probably going to get a new telly in the sales next year. I've had mine 6/7 years now so I'll move that one to the spare room and then I'm going to try to get something a bit bigger. How're you finding 65 inch? Sounds massive to me, coming from a 50. I'm worried about it dominating the living room. I don't want it to go from being part of the furniture to being the TV room around which there's funsize chairs. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm probably going to get a new telly in the sales next year. I've had mine 6/7 years now so I'll move that one to the spare room and then I'm going to try to get something a bit bigger. How're you finding 65 inch? Sounds massive to me, coming from a 50. I'm worried about it dominating the living room. I don't want it to go from being part of the furniture to being the TV room around which there's funsize chairs. 

It is pretty big- we went from a 48" and it's significantly larger than that. However, our living room is about 16x15 feet with an 'L' shaped sofa mostly against the back wall , so it doesn't look out of place. If you're worried, maybe go to a shop and check them out, standing as far away as you're likely to be sitting might give you a good idea of how it would appear in your living room.

Edit: actually this is a decent rule of thumb- https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043948/#:~:text=For crowded rooms%2C you should,as you want to go.

It's the distance in inches you'll be sitting away from the TV, divided by two. We're about 13 feet I guess, so 156/2 = 78.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It looks smart, but the three and a half star rating would have me looking through the customer reviews. 

The 65” version has four and a half stars on Currys!

I’ve had a look at customer reviews on various sites and the only ones that really concern me are those that complain about the smart interface being slow. The thing is, there are complaints about pretty much all LG and Samsung televisions other than the high-end ones. 

A nice, clear picture for watching films and television, decent sound without the need for a soundbar and menus that I can navigate quickly, are all I need.

35 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve had a look at customer reviews on various sites and the only ones that really concern me are those that complain about the smart interface being slow. The thing is, there are complaints about pretty much all LG and Samsung televisions other than the high-end ones. 

A nice, clear picture for watching films and television, decent sound without the need for a soundbar and menus that I can navigate quickly, are all I need.

Take the plunge then, mate. My Philips TV is a bit slow on the interface but most of the time I’m playing these apps through the Firestick anyway, so it doesn’t matter. 

37 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Maybe check out some YouTube videos and see for yourself what the interface looks like. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

65” must be mega. Last time we changed telly we went from 47” to 55” and I was fucking amazed at the size of it. 

I remember as a kid going from a 21" to a 32". It felt as though we had a cinema in our living room. Now a 32" looks small, strange how your perceptions change.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

@Tony Moanero Lidl selling a 55” LG 4K TV for £349 on their Black Friday deals from Monday. 
https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/black-friday/lg-55-uhd-smart-tv/p56661

It’d be rude not to at that price. 

The remote control looks like one of the more responsive ones, if you’re still undecided about the interface. Better than my remote anyway. 

Get on YouTube and have a look Tony.