You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

52 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Flying is sound. So is landing. Not a fan of taking off though. I only really fully relax once the fasten seat belts sign has gone off. 

Yeah same for me. Can't stand taking off one bit. You are pretty much handing your life over to fate. I guess we do in some way everyday but it's more "deliberate" when you take off. 

51 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah same for me. Can't stand taking off one bit. You are pretty much handing your life over to fate. I guess we do in some way everyday but it's more "deliberate" when you take off. 

Turbulence aside, taking off seems to be a bit more bouncy and up and down than the rest of the flight. I love the speeding down the runway bit though. 

I used to be terrified of flying. In fact didn't do it at all for years. Not only don't I give a flying fuck any more, I do it as a hobby. What got me over it was Mr rb14 and a rather reluctantly-flying me had gone over to the US of A, pre-911. We were in Washington playing golf at the East Potomac golf course which is directly across from Washinton Airport. Waiting to tee-off, I was absolutely transfixed by the planes taking-off and landing, seemingly every ten seconds. We were due to drive back to New York the next day but I was like "let's just fly". An hour after we finished playing, we walked in to the airport. "Got any flights to NYC?" She looked at us like we were mad. "Errrr about a million billion in the next hour or so." We honestly pretty much walked on the plane, bags in hand and it was almost like there was a bus conductor walking up and down. Truly blew me away how little hassle was involved. Nobody gave a fuck. 

It's all different now and the whole experience is sooooooo set up for fear, stress and angst, quite apart from the whole cattle-herding, customer-hating, nazi-esque-security, passport-queueing airport "experience". No wonder people hate it. I hate all that but I absolutely LURRRRRRVE the flying. Takeoff, landing, turbulence, couldn't give a nanofuck. 

Used to go on holiday as a kid to East Anglia in the 80s. Planes were over every couple of minutes. Seen the SR-71 Blackbird low over my auntie’s house. on a clear summer’s day. A-10s, F1-11s, Tornadoes and Jaguars. Duxford is an amazing museum, too. Last went not long after USAAF 8th Air Force display opened. 

Would love to have flown in a Short Sunderland, the “flying porcupine”. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m a big Vulcan fan. Best noise ever 

829872C9-56DC-4CC5-9699-AE3BB1CC1B48.jpeg

I loved the Vulcan, I remember hearing it was being scrapped as I ate my lunch in the mess during my basic training. Years later one of the squadrons got hold of one and had it positioned outside their hangar. I spent hours underneath it sheltering from the rain one night while guarding two a10 tank busters parked up nearby. 

When I was in Northern Ireland I used to spend my rest days back home and had to fly to Speke with Manx Airlines on their Shorts 360s. The flight from Belfast City airport was rarely direct and usually entailed a stop over on the IOM to pick up passengers.

If I had any fear of flying the bastard winds over the IOM and those planes dancing about all over the place would have sorted that out. The landing (or should I say controlled crash) one time was so bad that the stewardess brought round free alcoholic drinks for us all while we waited for the passengers to board. A good thing as the take off was just as bad. 

I couldn't complain about the crazy trips on those Shorts 360s, I knew a few people that survived the Kegworth air disaster and a couple that didn't who were returning to the base. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I used to have a business in India so want there a lot. Got a flight from delhi to Mumbai once, they go about every 1/2 hour and are super cheap tickets. Our flight was delayed for an hour and a lot of the business men passengers wanted to get off to catch a rival flight. They were all standing in the aisle shouting at the stewardesses when the pilot just gunned it down the runway and took off at a very steep angle causing all the shouty blokes to tumble down the aisle like nine pins. Only in India. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its a great film mate 

Yeah it's alright, well worth a watch. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I used to have a business in India so want there a lot. Got a flight from delhi to Mumbai once, they go about every 1/2 hour and are super cheap tickets. Our flight was delayed for an hour and a lot of the business men passengers wanted to get off to catch a rival flight. They were all standing in the aisle shouting at the stewardesses when the pilot just gunned it down the runway and took off at a very steep angle causing all the shouty blokes to tumble down the aisle like nine pins. Only in India. 

I think I mentioned somewhere before but I flew to NY on Air India, i was my first long flight and I was nervous as fuck, one of the stewards looked like something out of a 70s Bollywood movie and he came along the aisle dishing out the Whiskey, plus we got a Samosa as we approached the landing. 

b8f4cd1304f10f8b6aa952dd70b689c9--sr-bla

The Blackbird spy plane was pretty futuristic looking back in the day. I was at Greenham when it arrived, some peace protestors managed to evade the dog handlers and patrols during the night and painted graffiti on it. Apparently it fucked it up and took it out of service because the paint was a special type designed for the high speed it flew, I can't remember how long it took them to fix it but plenty of arses were kicked. I thought it made the papers but I can't find anything. 

• Upvote 3