You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah, Fury's not a draw despite being the best heavyweight on the planet and the biggest character in boxing. It's odd, he wouldn't fill out stadiums over her like AJ does either.

My mate got tickets to one of his fights in Vegas between the 2 wilder fights and he said they couldn’t give them away outside on the night of the fight. They got moved right to the front as they’d covered the rear sections with black tarpaulin so they wouldn’t be seen on the telly.

He reckons there was no more than 2,500 in there 

4 hours ago, Red74 said:

Bullshit this Covid excuse. They haven’t been able to sell any tickets for that at all. I checked on the website yesterday day and you can still buy entire sections all the way around the arena. 

These 2 can’t draw flies round shit in the states and they’ve realised that they may as well put this back till the brits can fly out and fill the place up.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that many fights back wilder couldn't even fill a 6k arena in Birmingham, which is almost a home town gig for him. 

4 hours ago, Elite said:

Yeah, Fury's not a draw despite being the best heavyweight on the planet and the biggest character in boxing. It's odd, he wouldn't fill out stadiums over her like AJ does either.

The thing is he's hardly fought in years has he? They won't have switched on to when he he originally won the belt, as that was just something that happened in Europe - until then he'd had maybe 1 or 2 undercard fights in the states? I remember 1 for sure at the garden. And then he went off the rails, then fought some bums before his original wilder fight. And that was two and a half years ago now. He's probably had more publicity from the WWE stuff than he has for any fight outside of wilder. It's no surprise to me on the back of a pandemic that they're struggling to sell it - they're not interested in wilder and fury has barely registered over there. 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't that many fights back wilder couldn't even fill a 6k arena in Birmingham, which is almost a home town gig for him. 

The thing is he's hardly fought in years has he? They won't have switched on to when he he originally won the belt, as that was just something that happened in Europe - until then he'd had maybe 1 or 2 undercard fights in the states? I remember 1 for sure at the garden. And then he went off the rails, then fought some bums before his original wilder fight. And that was two and a half years ago now. He's probably had more publicity from the WWE stuff than he has for any fight outside of wilder. It's no surprise to me on the back of a pandemic that they're struggling to sell it - they're not interested in wilder and fury has barely registered over there. 

His inactivity has played a huge part, as has his choice of opponents outside of the Wilder fights. He doesn't fight in the UK anymore which isn't helping as he now has a massive profile and good publicity behind him but I still don't think he'd be a ticket seller anywhere near AJ. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Who is a ticket seller in the US?

They seem more interested in watching Logan Paul than they were Andre Ward.

Canelo and Pacquiao spring to mind, who aren't even American. They tend have 'icons' in the US, everyone else can fuck off. Well apart from YouTubers.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Feels like they've moved away to other sports. 

The UFC has taken a big chunk of the boxing demographic as they consistently put on the best fights on almost a week by week basis whilst it's very rare you get the best fighting the best in boxing. It's a shame as there's loads of great fights out there that will likely never be made.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elite said:

The UFC has taken a big chunk of the boxing demographic as they consistently put on the best fights on almost a week by week basis whilst it's very rare you get the best fighting the best in boxing. It's a shame as there's loads of great fights out there that will likely never be made.

Yes, and it gets easier by the year. To swerve fights for long periods of time, I mean.

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, and it gets easier by the year. To swerve fights for long periods of time, I mean.

You only have to look at Crawford/Spence, literally no reason why they shouldn't fight each other apart from rival TV Networks and promoters holding belts hostage. They've ruined the sport.

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, Elite said:

His inactivity has played a huge part, as has his choice of opponents outside of the Wilder fights. He doesn't fight in the UK anymore which isn't helping as he now has a massive profile and good publicity behind him but I still don't think he'd be a ticket seller anywhere near AJ. 

If Fury had the Matchroom machine behind him he’d be selling out Wembley within two fights. 

I mean, people go to watch Dillian Whyte, for fuck sake. 

BAM BAM BAM. Good times never seemed so good

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If Fury had the Matchroom machine behind him he’d be selling out Wembley within two fights. 

I mean, people go to watch Dillian Whyte, for fuck sake. 

BAM BAM BAM. Good times never seemed so good

Yeah fair point. Fury's not Eddie's biggest fan though.

It's crazy that Whyte is a PPV star, let alone Chisora.

5 hours ago, Elite said:

Agreed, but they would get more fans if they had it over here. Plus, shouldn’t a rematch be in the belt holder’s back yard? Bollocks

Edit - boxing is fucking shite these days. The multiple belts, the rival networks and all that shite. It can fuck off

Fury was all set to sign with Hearn and have a roadmap to AJ all lined up which would have brought wilder in. 

instead, he bailed right at the last minute and signed up with ESPN which BT & that grifter Frank Warren latched onto and went for the easy option Frank doing his usual trick of lining up tin cans for his fighters and getting his media mates to champion them as prime fighters. 

Snorting lines on twitter with Ingerlund fans won him the ladbible fan base and he gained massive popularity from that whereas prior to the klitchko fight he was seen as a joke who was running from David Price ffs. 

Cringe when I see these ‘respected’ boxing journos saying Furys fought far better opponents than joshua.

I actually like Fury by the way but he’s avoided more than he’s fought. 

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Fury was all set to sign with Hearn and have a roadmap to AJ all lined up which would have brought wilder in. 

instead, he bailed right at the last minute and signed up with ESPN which BT & that grifter Frank Warren latched onto and went for the easy option Frank doing his usual trick of lining up tin cans for his fighters and getting his media mates to champion them as prime fighters. 

Snorting lines on twitter with Ingerlund fans won him the ladbible fan base and he gained massive popularity from that whereas prior to the klitchko fight he was seen as a joke who was running from David Price ffs. 

Cringe when I see these ‘respected’ boxing journos saying Furys fought far better opponents than joshua.

Joshua has avoided Wilder and Fury just as much mate. Hearn has absolutely protected his cash cow. 

His two best wins and method of victory surpass Joshua's, that's why he's rated higher. His resume is pretty thin though.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Joshua has avoided Wilder and Fury just as much mate. Hearn has absolutely protected his cash cow. 

Wilder tripped himself up earlier this year when he said he turned down more money to fight Joshua to fight fury instead. 

Joshua knocked wlad out while fury spoiled the fight 

Joshua nearly got knocked out himself facing a more faded Wlad in his own back garden. Fury beat prime Wlad in Germany comfortably. Far superior victory.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Joshua nearly got knocked out himself facing a more faded Wlad in his own back garden. Fury beat prime Wlad in Germany comfortably. Far superior victory.

Nearly means nothing and wlad was more than a live opponent then. Why wouldn’t Fury give wlad the rematch if he was that much superior.