You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rest of The World Bands - Round 1 - U2 vs Steppenwolf

Bjornebye

Rest of The World Bands - Round 1 - U2 vs Steppenwolf  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Rest of The World Bands - Round 1 - U2 vs Steppenwolf

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 12:53

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Up to around 92/93, U2 were brilliant. 

Nobody can name more than 2 Steppenwolf songs, so this is easy.

Yep, I can name loads of dogshit u2 stuff I hate whereas steppenwolf I wouldn't know. Easy steppenwolf vote

• Upvote 1

U2 were great up to the Zooropa album, that was the last U2 album I bought, it started to go downhill from there though and they really did not need to be so adventurous.

I first listened to the War album when I was on a holiday visiting my uncle and aunt, when they were at work I was sat at home listening to music.

My three favourite albums that vacation was U2- War, Tom Robinson Band - Power in the Darkness, and Supertramp - Breakfast in America.

It was a great holiday, I was just 11 at the time. 

Life really has become a bit more complicated since then. 

17 hours ago, cloggypop said:

When U2 came into my music library and dumped a massive steaming turd there "for free" I stopped using iTunes completely. Cheeky fucking twats. 

It's mad the way people got so precious and uppity about that heinous "band give away free album" crime. The easy solution was to delete it, but no, everyone had to whine on social media about what a disgrace it was.     

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

It's mad the way people got so precious and uppity about that heinous "band give away free album" crime. The easy solution was to delete it, but no, everyone had to whine on social media about what a disgrace it was.     

I know yeah "I stopped using ITunes completely" fuck me. 

I really liked U2 up until Pop in 1997. Saw them a couple of times at Roundhay Park and also in Germany in the early 90's. Pop was the first real drop off quality wise and they've got steadily worse and more uninteresting and formulaic ever since, to the point where i gave up on them completely after the last Eno collaboration, No Line on the Horizon. I remember that getting a five star review in Q and being quite excited for it as they had said it was a return to the feel of the Achtung Baby period. One track aside, it was a truly awful album and given that was the 4th (?) on the bounce that was the final straw for me.  A shame really, as they lit up my teens.  But not many bands can keep up an unbroken level of brilliance throughout their career, particularly a 40 year one.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I really liked U2 up until Pop in 1997. Saw them a couple of times at Roundhay Park and also in Germany in the early 90's. Pop was the first real drop off quality wise and they've got steadily worse and more uninteresting and formulaic ever since, to the point where i gave up on them completely after the last Eno collaboration, No Line on the Horizon. I remember that getting a five star review in Q and being quite excited for it as they had said it was a return to the feel of the Achtung Baby period. One track aside, it was a truly awful album and given that was the 4th (?) on the bounce that was the final straw for me.  A shame really, as they lit up my teens.  But not many bands can keep up an unbroken level of brilliance throughout their career, particularly a 40 year one.  

I'd argue Pop was the last time u2 were interesting, the last time they weren't formulaic.

Ever since Pop they have mostly stuck to a very dull middle of the road and safe sound - dull shite like Beautiful Day and Vertigo for example.

On Pop they embraced things like electronica, use of loops and samples....

Ever since they have just settled into really dull safe music that lacks the atmospheric qualities that their earlier work had.

For me Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop mark their most interesting and best period.

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'd argue Pop was the last time u2 were interesting, the last time they weren't formulaic.

Ever since Pop they have mostly stuck to a very dull middle of the road and safe sound - dull shite like Beautiful Day and Vertigo for example.

On Pop they embraced things like electronica, use of loops and samples....

Ever since they have just settled into really dull safe music that lacks the atmospheric qualities that their earlier work had.

For me Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop mark their most interesting and best period.

Yeah you're right, although i did say "ever since" Pop, i should have said that it just wasn't that great an album. Patchy at best, although Discoteque and Mofo are up there with my all time favourite tracks of theirs. 

Zooropa is probably my favourite of the three nowadays, considering they spent very little time on it (for them) it sounds pretty fresh 27 years later. 

10 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Yeah you're right, although i did say "ever since" Pop, i should have said that it just wasn't that great an album. Patchy at best, although Discoteque and Mofo are up there with my all time favourite tracks of theirs. 

Zooropa is probably my favourite of the three nowadays, considering they spent very little time on it (for them) it sounds pretty fresh 27 years later. 

Mofo is boss.

Zooropa has some brilliant songs - Lemon and Dirty Day especially.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Mofo is boss.

Zooropa has some brilliant songs - Lemon and Dirty Day especially.

There is a live version of The Wanderer (potentially a tribute to Johnny Cash?) on youtube which imo surpasses the version on the album. Edge's backing vocals are astoundingly good.

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

You couldn't just delete it though. That was the problem. Give it away for free, sound, forcing it on people and making them jump through hoops to get rid of it, not so sound. 

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/u2-songs-of-innocence-apple-remove.html

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

You couldn't just delete it though. That was the problem. Give it away for free, sound, forcing it on people and making them jump through hoops to get rid of it, not so sound. 

Yeah, you could.

I did it quite simply, as it wasn't very good.

Surely you wouldn't know anyway, as you said you got rid of iTunes straight afterwards, therefore eradicating the problem anyway.

Is this "jumping through hoops" though? Hardly. 

1. Go to http://itunes.com/soi-remove.
  2. Click Remove Album to confirm you’d like to remove the album from your account.
  3. Sign in with the Apple ID and password you use to buy from the iTunes Store.
  4. You’ll see a confirmation message that the album has been removed from your account.

4 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Yeah, you could.

I did it quite simply, as it wasn't very good.

Surely you wouldn't know anyway, as you said you got rid of iTunes straight afterwards, therefore eradicating the problem anyway.

Is this "jumping through hoops" though? Hardly. 

1. Go to http://itunes.com/soi-remove.
  2. Click Remove Album to confirm you’d like to remove the album from your account.
  3. Sign in with the Apple ID and password you use to buy from the iTunes Store.
  4. You’ll see a confirmation message that the album has been removed from your account.

You had to get a tool from Apple to remove it. That now doesn't work and you have to go through Apple Support apparently. Ridiculous way of doing things. 

ITunes is for wankers anyway. Worst software I have ever used. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

You had to get a tool from Apple to remove it. That now doesn't work and you have to go through Apple Support apparently. Ridiculous way of doing things. 

ITunes is for wankers anyway. Worst software I have ever used. 

That instruction i put up was from a week after the album was launched, so you really didn't. 

https://time.com/3380005/delete-u2-songs-of-innocence-from-apple-itunes/

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Try clicking the link in your instructions now. 

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/u2-songs-of-innocence-apple-remove.html

I'm not talking about now! You said you had to get a tool from Apple to remove it, you really didn't. 

If you are stupid enough to want to remove an album now, that you didn't like in the first place seven years after it was given to you, then you deserve it to be there for all eternity. Idiots will be idiots. 

8 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I'm not talking about now! You said you had to get a tool from Apple to remove it, you really didn't. 

If you are stupid enough to want to remove an album now, that you didn't like in the first place seven years after it was given to you, then you deserve it to be there for all eternity. Idiots will be idiots. 

You did have to use a tool from Apple to remove it. That's how I removed it. It now doesn't work. No idea if they are still inflicting it on new people. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29208540#:~:text=Apple has released a tool,their devices without their permission.

16 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

You did have to use a tool from Apple to remove it. That's how I removed it. It now doesn't work. No idea if they are still inflicting it on new people. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29208540#:~:text=Apple has released a tool,their devices without their permission.

Christ, have you actually read that article you linked? You simply had to click a button with "remove" written clearly on it. Must have been such hard work for some people to do that. If anything it's easier than the method i linked (which, let's be honest here, wasn't a stretch was it?) . Both, however, are categorically not "jumping through hoops" - clearly the only people saying it was a pain to do are people who were looking for a reason to bitch over the minutest thing i.e.  absolute fannies. 

The album came out on 9 Sept 2014. The article i linked and the one you linked both came out on 15 Sept 2014. Less than a week later. I recall removing it very easily indeed. Given that you yourself said you jibbed off itunes straight after the album entered your library, i'm not sure how would know otherwise anyway.  And of course they aren't "inflicting" it on anyone now. Again, read the article you linked and the answer is within. It ceased being free on October 13 2014. 

Either way, i'm sick of arguing with you over this. It's utterly pointless.