You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Haven't been through the list but the top one is described as:

Robert Latham, a housing and welfare law expert, splashed the cash at his former Doughty Street Chambers colleague on 27 January.

Second one is a TV exec who created the show Survivor.

Sitting as a life peer for the Labour Party, and is described as one of only a few openly gay Muslim politicians in the world.[

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Haven't been through the list but the top one is described as:

Robert Latham, a housing and welfare law expert, splashed the cash at his former Doughty Street Chambers colleague on 27 January.

They interviewed an interesting one for Channel 4, can't remember his name but looked a bit of a hipster, runs some eco energy provider (Rico would probably know about him) and also gave money to just stop oil so seemed controversial but when interviewed he came across fairly level headed. Gives money to Starmer because he wants the Tories out gives money to just stop oil because he agrees with their stance fighting climate change. 

26 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You might not like Starmer but one thing he's not is corrupt. You don't go into the line of work he was in and rise as high as you do if you are. 

It's not Starmer as such but the whole political system regarding donations and second jobs where mps are working for others rather than their constituents so creating a possible conflict of interest, needs to look beyond reproach, especially with the Labour party. No easy solutions but it needs to be cleaned up. Also the money spent on election  campaigns needs reform and enforcement, we don't want to end up like America.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's not Starmer as such but the whole political system regarding donations and second jobs where mps are working for others rather than their constituents so creating a possible conflict of interest, needs to look beyond reproach, especially with the Labour party. No easy solutions but it needs to be cleaned up. Also the money spent on election  campaigns needs reform and enforcement, we don't want to end up like America.

Yeah I agree. I haven't looked into that Starmer video but there's a difference I suppose between donations and second jobs. A second job can be harmless but, IMO, means you're taking the eye off the ball in some way. I don't see how people can do both jobs.

Donations can be harmless too. If you were a millionaire you might want to donate money to Corbyn purely because you think he's a good politician and you want him to have the resources to fight elections and win - that doesn't mean you expect favours in return or that you or he are corrupt. 

There definitely needs to be more oversight.

If it were down to me, I'd up their wages but ban any second (paid) jobs. I'd create a tougher independent vetting process for donations, and I'd create a public fund that helps people run for elections so they don't have to depend on interest groups which can and do give their chosen candidates clear advantages over others. 

A single mum from Garston should have the same access to resources to fight an election if she can prove she's serious and has enough support in the community, it shouldn't just be for wealthy connected fuckers who are elected on the understanding that favours will be returned. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I agree. I haven't looked into that Starmer video but there's a difference I suppose between donations and second jobs. A second job can be harmless but, IMO, means you're taking the eye off the ball in some way. I don't see how people can do both jobs.

Donations can be harmless too. If you were a millionaire you might want to donate money to Corbyn purely because you think he's a good politician and you want him to have the resources to fight elections and win - that doesn't mean you expect favours in return or that you or he are corrupt. 

If it were down to me, I'd up their wages but ban any second (paid) jobs. I'd create a tougher independent vetting process for donations, and I'd create a public fund that helps people run for elections so they don't have to depend on interest groups which can and do give their chosen candidates clear advantages over others. 

A single mum from Garston should have the same access to resources to fight an election if she can prove she's serious and has enough support in the community, it shouldn't just be for wealthy connected fuckers who are elected on the understanding that favours will be returned. 

Yep sounds good.

It may be all innocent and above board and 95% of it probably is above board, all done within rules and all with good intentions, it's that chink where corruption can step in and politicians can potentially be bought and favours asked in return that's gives the bad look.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

You might not like Starmer but one thing he's not is corrupt. You don't go into the line of work he was in and rise as high as you do if you are. 

Here's this eco energy owner. His names Dale Vince. To be honest ive never heard of the fella but without knowing anything about him and at the risk of having knifes plunged in my back, just going from this short interview he comes across as perfectly OK to me if a little on the eccentric side.

Coincidentally I seem to remember Starmers biggest fan on here getting into one of his Numerous heated arguments (this time with Bob Spunkmouse I believe) ranting that all just stop oil protesters should be fed into a wood chipper. 

Anyway here he is talking to Sam Coates..

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Truss had a fiz with liz event in Mayfair with many of the hedge fund managers who made bank after the pound crashed, Kwarteng went for a drink with them the day of the budget. 

they saw Johnson brazenly get away with it and just followed suit.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

They interviewed an interesting one for Channel 4, can't remember his name but looked a bit of a hipster, runs some eco energy provider (Rico would probably know about him) and also gave money to just stop oil so seemed controversial but when interviewed he came across fairly level headed. Gives money to Starmer because he wants the Tories out gives money to just stop oil because he agrees with their stance fighting climate change. 

Dale Vince? 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Here's this eco energy owner. His names Dale Vince. To be honest ive never heard of the fella but without knowing anything about him and at the risk of having knifes plunged in my back, just going from this short interview he comes across as perfectly OK to me if a little on the eccentric side.

Coincidentally I seem to remember Starmers biggest fan on here getting into one of his Numerous heated arguments (this time with Bob Spunkmouse I believe) ranting that all just stop oil protesters should be fed into a wood chipper. 

Anyway here he is talking to Sam Coates..

He made me eat vegan food. 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah agree with that. A lot of people talk about Rosena Allin-Khan carrying on with her NHS role on a part time basis and how that's an example of a 'good' second job, but whilst I fully admire and respect it, although a non-MP role can be supported to allow it to be worked part time, you can't be a part time MP. There's no jobshare, no shadow MP who does the job whilst you're doing your other one. Basically it either short-changes the constituents, or gives the MP no time back - neither of those seem healthy if we want the job to be taken seriously.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Was funny as fuck that. "I'll resign if I'm found guilty" - translation, I already know I'm not guilty because I was fucking king law and you're a bunch of flatfoots. 

Yeah that was hilarious, a load of people pointing out how he is in legal trouble about that and about the Corbyn thing. Some on this thread I think. I’m shocked the top lawyer in the land knew more than internet bros. Shocked I tell you.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah that was hilarious, a load of people pointing out how he is in legal trouble about that and about the Corbyn thing. Some on this thread I think. I’m shocked the top lawyer in the land knew more than internet bros. Shocked I tell you.

star.jpg

• Haha 1